Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

Hey ... you have any pics of your first boat ?
You have given me some work. I have very few pics and the quality is not good.

More than 30 years ago I found this beauty laying in the Tagus river bank and fall in love with it. It was a 45 year's old "Canoa":

I brought her to Peniche where at the time still existed a lot of wooded boat shipyards and learned with the carpenters that give me a help, sometimes paid. I have modified the boat add a deck, a pole for a big downwind sail, modified the keel making it stronger and longer and passed all the inside ballast to the end of the keel (lead).

The boat had no interior and we camped on it. Sailed a lot, locally and cruising. Each year we cruised two months along the Portuguese coast. A simple and enjoyable life, no worries no fears no stress (we had no kids at that time).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-15-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Mate, thanks for that. Your talk of that boat has always made me wish to see her. That must have been a seriously splendid time. I'm thinking the coast of Portugal must have been a wonderful playground all those years back. I can almost taste the grilled sardines.

So ... rig. Lateen main with a couple of jibs by the look of it.

Love the fender.

Long time ago but is she still afloat and/or do you know of her current condition ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Mate, thanks for that. Your talk of that boat has always made me wish to see her. That must have been a seriously splendid time. I'm thinking the coast of Portugal must have been a wonderful playground all those years back. I can almost taste the grilled sardines.

So ... rig. Lateen main with a couple of jibs by the look of it.

Love the fender.

Long time ago but is she still afloat and/or do you know of her current condition ?
Yes, you don't need to have a lot of money to have a lot of fun

No, it had not a latin sail. It was a Gaff rigged boat, like these ones:

The front sail is not a stay sail but a thing I thought that I invented: It was a geenaker Look at the difference of bulk between the stay-sail and the front sail: You can see that it is a huge sail. The traditional sailmaker that had done that (cloth sails) thought that I was mad. He said that I was going to capsize the boat. Nah! never happened but with wind I had always the lines in my hand to let go. Even at that time and with an heavy boat I liked speed

I had lost track of the sailboat mainly because I didn't like the guy that bought it from me. It was a Navy sergeant, full of sh*t and I remember that I have delivered the boat for him to Lisbon and he come along supposedly to give a help.

We got little wind and the night come. I mounted the small position lights (that had small individual batteries) and carry on. I was quite used to sail at night but the guy seemed scared. Around Cabo da Roca, as usual the wind picked up to a good force 5/6. The boat really started sailing and as I had no autopilot I asked the guy to go down to pick the lighthouse book. I wanted to properly identify the Cabo Raso lighthouse.

I was sailing well offshore because I wanted to give a wide berth to Cabo Raso before turning to the Tejo bar. Raso means shallow and some miles around that cape a strong wind against the tide makes a hell of a sea, kind of Colorado river, if you know what I mean.

Well the guy was so afraid that refused to go down and you should see his face when I asked him to take the tiller for a while. I had to play it by memory.

Better solo than in bad company. If I was alone I would have that book and the maps close at hand and not inside the boat.

After that I lost contact with that guy. Even if I asked him to keep in touch I guess we was so ashamed of that episode that he never called me.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-16-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matvolver View Post
Paulo, sorry I've been busy with school and haven't gotten on the forums lately - I see you're a traditionalist! That's kool, and the pics of those boats rock! I really like the Renard, wonder if it could be shrunk just a little?

Thanks for the pics!
Matt
If you are still around this thread give a look here. I guess you are going to like:

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-29-2011
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Looks like the Santa Maria with aluminum spars.
Old 06-29-2011
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
I was referring to the first boat pictured.