Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010

CanJim is on a distinguished road
Internal Headroom

I'm looking to buy my first (hopefully) only boat and I need something I can stand up in, so headroom of 6' 2" minimum. I'm thinking of a 27' boat, I've tried the C&C and a Mirage but they're a little low by a couple of inches. I don't mind a little longer if that's the only way to gain the height but a 27 seems like an optimal length.

I wondering if anyone knows of a suitable boat(s) for me or alternatively the best way to find the internal dimensions of sailboats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Standing

Being 6'2" myself, this was quite a problem whenever we shopped for a boat.
Very generally, the sailing brochure ad industry likes to describe 6' as "standing headroom" in all print media (and nowadays web media...). Next, this is measured from cabin sole to headliner. If you normally and regularly go below wearing shoes or boots, subtract for sole thickness.

I enjoyed a truly great sailing Niagara 26 for ten years, but got tired of stooping on the inside. I recall it being about 5'10" under the hatch. About 5'8" forward a ways. It was so perfect in every other way that I could forgive it.

For the past 15 years we have an Olson 34 that does actually have (just barely) 6'2" headroom with my shoes on.

When you find a design and model that you like, log in here or at an owner site and ask for a real-world measurement.

You may find that a lot of boats in the 30-ish range that have enough headroom for you sail poorly, including some very popular boats.

It's an interesting and sometimes frustrating contest of compromises.

Keep us posted on what you see and like.

FWIW, one of the few really excellent sailing thirty footers with about 6'2" headroom is the Yamaha 30, but they are rare even on the West coast where most were sold in early 80's.

Happy Shopping!

L

Last edited by olson34; 06-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, headroom isn't a specification that is given with most older boats. Many newer ones mention it, but finding that kind of information on older ones is tougher.

Most of the <28' LOA boats are not going to be suitable, given your requirements. I'd recommend looking at 30' boats, many of which should suit you well.

If you plan on cruising on the boat, I would say that more important than having sufficient headroom, since you're often sitting when down below, is having a berth that is long enough to allow you to stretch out and sleep in comfort. Even the most enjoyable cruise is easily ruined if you can't get a good night's sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-21-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2010

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'4" and can almost fully stand up in the cabin of my O'Day 27; I'd say it's 6'2 or 6'3. Of course that's just in the very center of the cabin, it's an inch or two shorter everywhere else. I haven't been aboard many other 27-footers but if you look at the O'Day from the exterior compared to say a Catalina 27 you can see that the cabin trunk extrudes higher. This may not mean anything due to differing hull shapes/depths, but it's one possible indicator that can help you when browsing. The O'Day also has a pretty good reputation for performance for a coastal cruiser of its era (see Sailing Magazine | O’Day 27).

SD is right about the importance of berth length and interior volume, I've slept in the v-berth but it feels cramped (or maybe just claustrophobic?); however the converted salon extends to a port quarterberth and is far more comfortable. I've never stayed over with more than one other person but it would get crowded very quickly.

If you plan extended cruising, even solo, look at 30+ feet or you'll end up with the oft-cited three-foot-itis pretty soon. If just daysailing and weekends 27 is a great size - small enough to keep simple & inexpensive but big enough to handle a chop without too much discomfort.
Old 06-22-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
My 6'2" son did ok in my Oday 30 main saloon.

My boat is for sale.

Old 06-23-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
The couple of Hunter 30's I've been on/in had a lot of space interior, and plenty of headroom. I'm 5'11" so I can't swear it would suit for you... but I had plenty of clearance.
Old 06-23-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Our Pearson P30 has reasonable headroom, but I don't think it's 6'4". I'm 6'4" and can almost stand up straight in the middle of the cabin. More importantly, to me, is that I can sleep full-length on either the port main salon berth or in the v-berth.

ISTR the Sabre 28s we looked at as having reasonable headroom.

Jim
Old 06-25-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Red face bunk space

Bunk space; an absolute minimum requirement. Head room; a requirement, in my opinion, at the galley and nav station but not further forward. I have to start stooping as I go forward at about the mast and by the time I get to the vee berth I've grown about three inches shorter. I've gotten used to it so it's not a problem. I did, however bang my head numerous times on the doorway leading into the vee berth when we first bought the boat.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 06-26-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I'm 5'11. I can stand up in my Hunter 27, an O'day 27 (barely), Ericson 27, Catalina 27, Catalina 28, Precision 27/28, Pearson 27,28. I cannot stand up in US Yachts 27, C&C 27. None of those boats can someone 6'2" stand up in unless they are standing in the bilge. something 30' or larger should have enough headroom.

The roomiest boat I listed is a Catalina 28 followed by my Hunter 27, the Ericson is also quite roomy while the O'day and Catalina 27 are cramped in comparison. The Precisions and Pearsons are a different design, aft heads, kinda cramped.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.

Last edited by eMKay; 06-26-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2011

swiftibis is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'1" and I can stand almost everywhere in my 1984 Hunter 31 except for the compression post ribs which I always hit my head on.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.