Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
Bombay 44. Anyone sailed one?

I am always looking at possible next boats. Who isn't? As a liveaboard hoping to have the next boat around for many years and hoping to cruise many miles in blue water with that boat I have been looking at a bunch of different vessels.

As my financial abilities are somewhat limited, I am looking to find a boat that is sub 100k and capable of sailing the oceans. I have looked at many factory boats and for the most part find them lacking. there are lots of costal cruisers out there that work but are not rugged enough. (Just because they sailed to my home port on their own hulls doesn't mean that they are around the world capable!)

There is an interesting boat that is local to me that may be ok though. It's a Bombay 44. I have seen a few folks around here who have sailed on them and I am wondering, Is this a blue water capable boat? Or is it a costal cruiser? it looks cut up on the interior like I want my next boat to be but if it's not rugged and dependable in adverse seas I don't want it. The price is right but I am not in the market right now. Just trying to get the field winnowed down.

Anyone who has had experience with these boats, I would love to hear your take on the build, rigidity, motion, and reliability of the late 70's and early 80's versions of the Bombay 44's.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I bought one as my liveaboard 'forever' boat. It is fast; I sail single handed some of the time but am happy to see 7.5 knots without getting concerned and passing people is great.

I bought it expecting that my sailing would be confined to the Caribbean basin but I would be happy to sail it back to the UK.

I do not think it meets the classic bluewater capable paramaters, for one thing the cockpit is HUGE. I also have some reservations about the lack of a cross bulkhead on the chain plate axis. It is a big central saloon.

I looked at a LOT of boats and did my homework before buying Elephants Child. She had been the subject of an extensive refit and this was a factor as I felt I needed to do very little before going cruising. But if for some reason I was looking again for a boat a Bombay 44 would be top of my sub 100k boats.

A Beneteau Idylle 43 would be the next on the list but I just love the size of the shower on the Bombay; room for a at least two friends!

My blog

Some pics

I really like my boat, it is as big as I want to handle on my own at my age [63], it it is fast [ my last boat was a heavy UGLY slow steel ketch ] and best of all when I see it sitting there in the anchorage I think she looks good.

Mind you I had the cockpit cover part of the bimini off recently to do some restitching and it looked very different, not nearly as sleek.

Feel free to PM me for anything specific.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook