Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010

jwjab is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up this old boat

Hi, I will be buying a 1961 50 ft wooden sail boat. Is there a book or can someone direct me to where is the best place to start and in order what comes next, next, next until complete? Luckily Finances are all set.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
you are in for a lot of work, my good friend. There isn't a single-source type piece of information.. there are a lot of opinions out there and most of them conflict with something.

There are some great resources here at SailNet to get started with.. once you get through those, you'll have your own list of names/books to work with.

good luck

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 08-17-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
I'd check out the Wooden Boat forum, myself.

WoodenBoat Forum Introduction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 08-18-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
jw

I would make sure that what you do to the boat is in line with what the insurance company mandates. We still see quite a few wooden boats near me, and I helped replank and screw one two years back. Luckily we used monel screws, as that is the ONLY material the owners insurance company would stand behind. They are pricey, but he was doing it right.

We found several instances where the requirements of the insurance company were in conflict with what we wanted to do or just plain common sense..

Enjoy, they are a beautiful sight when done - whether sitting or moving..
Old 08-18-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
There are LOTS of books about building, restoring, renovating and maintaining wooden boats.

I second the suggestion to sign up at the Wooden Boat forum. Just be forewarned - some of the regulars there can be curmudgeonly and highly opinionated - but so what, such is life, so it goes. They can be a font of useful information.

A couple books to get include the Gougeon Brothers book on boatbuilding, and the System Three Epoxy book, which you can download on line for free, and "Wooden Boat Renovation: New Life for Old Boats Using Modern Methods," by Jim Trefethen. Another popular book is Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding.

Go to Half.com: Textbooks , Books , Music , Movies , Games , Video Games and enter the search phrase "Wooden boat" and you'll get a bunch of hits.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-18-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah - I hope you had the boat examined by someone knowledgeable, preferably an experienced marine surveyor who knows wooden boats. An old wooden boat - particularly one of that size - can have a hell of a lot wrong with it that is not easily observable, particularly to the untrained eye.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Last edited by ilikerust; 08-18-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another major problem with wooden boats is that they are like Chinese Puzzle Boxes, if something has a problem, you may need to disassemble a dozen other, perfectly sound things, to get to the area needing repair. This is much less the case with fiberglass, steel, or aluminum boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2010

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
I agree with sailing dog. When I get a survey on an old wooden boat like this I will employ a wood expert to come along with me to get his input and recommendations on findings. Before you go through that expense, be sure to know what the insurance company wants and is willing to accept before they insure the vessel.
Old 08-21-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
If you are asking that question you should not be buying that boat.

I am serious! taking on a 49 year old wooden boat without having done some in depth home work in advance is just crazy.

For instance are you aware that just finding a yard that will lift her out of the water can be difficult!