Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jeff_h or other Math whiz...

I put this in the design forum because it seemed the logical place... so here goes:

The debate came up on wing keel versus fin keel (yeah, like we have never had that before!!!). Anyways, my question was how much a fin keeled boat would have to heel in order for it to be or equivalent draft to a wing keel.

The numbers in this excersize are based upon the world famous, internationally recognized, infinitely superior Catalina 400!!

So if you have a C400 wing with a 5'4 draft, and the fin is 7 feet, how much would the fin keeled boat have to heel over just to equal the 5'4 draft?

Brian

Anyone?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
if you would put enough BBQ equipment on the boat to sink the wing keel 1' 8" everything would be equal.

You can thank me later, Happy to help!!!!!!

Never Forgotten

Old 09-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
if you would put enough BBQ equipment on the boat to sink the wing keel 1' 8" everything would be equal.

You can thank me later, Happy to help!!!!!!
Nicely played old fart... One brick BBQ pit would do the trick I think...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-10-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I put this in the design forum because it seemed the logical place... so here goes:

The debate came up on wing keel versus fin keel (yeah, like we have never had that before!!!). Anyways, my question was how much a fin keeled boat would have to heel in order for it to be or equivalent draft to a wing keel.

The numbers in this excersize are based upon the world famous, internationally recognized, infinitely superior Catalina 400!!

So if you have a C400 wing with a 5'4 draft, and the fin is 7 feet, how much would the fin keeled boat have to heel over just to equal the 5'4 draft?

Brian

Anyone?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-10-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Brian--

It's not a difficult computation if you know the distance between the metacenter (the point of rotation) and the bottom of the keel. If, for the sake of argument, one assumes that the yacht rotates about a point roughly 1 foot below the water's surface, such that the radius of rotation of the keel is 6 feet (7 foot draft less 1 foot) and the wing has a total draft of 5.34' then the necessary angle of rotation (heel) = arccos(4.34/6) or, roughly, 42.83 degrees.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-10-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
CD, you dont want to heel too much in that fantastic plastic thing. Leave it tied to the dock or it may get some salt water on it.
& pls dont strain our brains - its easy to do

cheers mate

Old 09-10-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Well, I will give you the method:

You have just to pick the drawing of the boat with the fin keel version, put it on a cad, scale it and incline the drawing till the draft is equal to 5.4.

I would say something like 40ş.

why do you want to know that?

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-10-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Don't forget the corollary question:

How much will the draft of a wing keeled boat INCREASE when heeled?

We'll need the "wingspan" of your keel, CD.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-10-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
So if I need to cross a shoal with a fin keel, I just have to sheet the sails in too far and heal 45 degrees or more while I cross?

Calculating the draft at a given heel angle is easy:

upright draft*cos(heel angle)=heeling draft

Last edited by casioqv; 09-10-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
And don't forget to ask at what degree of heel does the wing keel maximize its draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Don't forget the corollary question:

How much will the draft of a wing keeled boat INCREASE when heeled?

We'll need the "wingspan" of your keel, CD.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.