Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010

kilarney is on a distinguished road
Plastic kits?

I'm interested in building a sailing dinghy. I am particularly interested in a stitch and glue kit that comes with pre-cut parts. My one hesitation is the upkeep of a wooden boat, even if the hull is fiberglassed.

Are there any companies that sell boat kits for boats that have little or no wooden pieces? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'm holding out hope. If there are such kits, are they much more difficult than a standard wooden kit?

Also, I have found that Chesapeake Light Craft sells kits with pre-cut plywood. Are there any other companies that do this? Since I'm a newbie, I'd like to go with pre-cut for my first project.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A stitch and glue plywood dinghy isn't really any more maintenance than any other fiberglass dinghy...if the fiberglass gets damaged, you have to repair it. It is hard to make a small dinghy kit that is affordable and user buildable out of materials other than plywood and fiberglass. Also, most other materials would make even a small dinghy much heavier than a plywood stitch-and-glue design. Few materials have the strength, rigidity and versatility of plywood.

Most "plastic" dinghies are made of a single piece. Most of the plastics used in plastic dinghies are relatively difficult to work with by hand, don't accept glues or epoxies very well and aren't the best materials to use with mechanical fasteners either.

CLC is probably your best bet if you want to make a small boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-14-2010

kilarney is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm just naive. With a stitch and glue kit, I assumed that the hull is fiberglassed, but the interior is not. If all surfaces are fiberglassed, that would definitely lessen maintenance.