Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You've never seen cruisingdad sail, have you???
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If you run aground the keel should touch, not the hull. If the hull touches you are really aground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
My CS 36 Merlin is balsa cored above the waterline. (Vacuum bagged, actually)

A nice thing I noticed this summer was that the boat warmed up quite a bit faster than my old C30 did when I turned the heater/stove on.

I am assuming that the added insulation of the balsa coring was the reason for this. Certainly made the boat more comfortable.

Two footnotes:

1) Yes, I was running the heater in the middle of the summer in the San Juans.
2) Wombat: It only took me a year to find a new boat. How long is it gonna take you?

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 10-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
hee hee.....I should stick to debating guns....

Thanks you all for the input.

Not that I am in any way less confused than before but I think the reality is that cored is not necesssarily the road to hell though should one stray from the straight and narrow, knee deep doodoo may be your reward.

Someone...you know who you are djodenda....suggests that this search for the new Womboat has been going on for too long. He'd be right. Were it not for the fact that we have a fine little craft to get us by, I dare say I'd have gone completely (as distinct from partially) loopy by now. As I remarked in reply to a message on this subject were it possible for me to move to Europe or the US for a few months it would probably be all done and dusted by now. Unfortunately the pool of available craft in Australia is not large and the actual design that I most lust after is seemingly highly prized internationally. There have been a couple of examples for sale in Europe this year but both sold before we could have possible organised to fly to Europe. So when something appears on the Oz market that is a possibility , for better or worse a cored hull possibility, questions must be asked.

Thanks again.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-19-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If you run aground the keel should touch, not the hull. If the hull touches you are really aground.
Although there are a variety of scenarios by which water can get into the hull core (a set screw for an owner-installed bilge pump being my favorite), the big concern I have with cored hulls is a hard grounding. The real risk from a hard grounding is that the impact will crack the exterior laminate. As the back end of the keel is levered up the surrounding laminate flexes, and in some circumstances enough to produce a crack in the outer skin, exposing the core to water intrusion. By the time the the boat is subesquently pulled, the entire hull core is wet, and the only fix is to peel and replace.

Now I would hope some manufacturers having used core for a while have engineered in some cushion to prevent this predictable problem, so I can't comment on the newest boats. But I can say there are models built in the late '70s thru the '80s, which have demonstrated that hitting a rock at 6 knots creates a problem whose proper repair will cost the owner $10-20,000. Who needs it?
Old 10-19-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough

Well

I would love to say a solid hull did fine BUT that was NOT the case This 1970 C&C 35 had custom keel that was wraped and glassed and the hull was BEEFED-UP to take the new loads (naval architect no DIY)

The keel to hull joint did not even chip the piant BUT the hull failed about 2' behind the keel and it was a HUGE repiar

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-19-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

Well

I would love to say a solid hull did fine BUT that was NOT the case This 1970 C&C 35 had custom keel that was wraped and glassed and the hull was BEEFED-UP to take the new loads (naval architect no DIY)

The keel to hull joint did not even chip the piant BUT the hull failed about 2' behind the keel and it was a HUGE repiar
Tom,
I saw this pic in another thread and meant toask you then. What exactly are we looking at ? I don't get it. Did she run aground and that is the damage shown or am I missing something ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Tom,
I saw this pic in another thread and meant toask you then. What exactly are we looking at ? I don't get it. Did she run aground and that is the damage shown or am I missing something ?
that's where the keel hit...he doesn't appear to have a photo of where the hull was torn from this impact.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
An external lead keel is preferred when hitting rocks. Doesn't do much for the damage to the hull at the aft end of the keel though.
Old 10-19-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough

looks worse than it was

big area of damage at the blue paint well behind the keel

Its the LEAD keel on Zzzoom which dinged a rock at 7 knots healed at about 15 degrees

When the PO owned the boat he hired Britton Chance to do several keels a modern double spreader rig and rudder years back

The C&C 35 I has no sump or bilge to speak of for that matter

The new keel was much deeper 7' and a shorter mounting footprint so to take the load and support the mast which NO longer had the BIG original keel under it

They really beefed up the hull and it never had and issues with the smile UNTIL the rock and it had no smile after the rock

The lead did not yield at the hull at ALL

Small amount of hull damage forward and aft of the keel

Massive damage 2' behind the keel were the hull was finally weak enough to yield to the massive force involved

I have another friend with a Tartan 372 that hit a ledge in Maine and in the finest mythbusters BUSTING myths it broke all kinds of stuff on the boat like all 4 motor mounts

I assure running aground is NOTHING like hitting a unyielding rock and lead or cast iron your screwed and the boat is NOT gonna be OK

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

I assure running aground is NOTHING like hitting a unyielding rock and lead or cast iron your screwed and the boat is NOT gonna be OK
I have to disagree...I have hit rock hard four times that I remember the past thirty years and never had a repair beyond filling the divot hole in the lead. Some boats are better designed to take abuse and just keep ticking, some less, its all a set of tradeoffs. But you can enjoy a good performing boat and still have it be able to take a beating.