Teck deck vs. heat problems in the tropics? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter

Teck deck vs. heat problems in the tropics?

Hi Together!
I have been told that anything different from a white deck causes significantly more heat inside the boat when you are cruising in sunny, tropical areas.
Has anyone some specific experience regarding this? How relevant is the effect?
Yours,
Ulf
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-14-2011
Oday30!

They all get hot as an oven in the sun. teak maybe a a little less I would think since the wood would not transfer the heat to the deck under it very fast.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-14-2011
Old as Dirt!

If you can keep the sun off the deck, the wood is actually a fairly good insulator. If not, the yacht will be significantly hotter. Several people we know have removed their teak decking over the years because of the effect in south Florida. (I once suggested simply painting the decking white while the yacht was in Florida and then stripping the paint when they were ready to move back north but that idea went nowhere...)

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #4 of 11 Old 01-14-2011
I'd rather be sailing

We love our teak deck for the look and for the "grippiness" underfoot when it's wet. However, teak has a tendency to absorb and store heat which will then be radiated internally to the vessel even when it cools down outside. We experienced this when we were in the Bahamas for several months. This was only an issue, however, when there was no airflow (i.e. light or no wind while on the hook). Any color other than white (or a close shade - tan, gray, etc.) will tend to absorb heat somewhat as opposed to reflecting it. This is also why it's usually recommended that you stick with a white hulled boat when cruising too, although we never really heard complaints from our friends in blue hulled boats while cruising.

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2011
Once known as Hartley18

In the tropics, a teak deck has a slight advantage over a painted one if you can keep it wet - just a bucket or two of seawater sloshed on the foredeck every few hours should be enough to keep it cool during the heat of the day, preventing the dreaded heat transfer inside.

Water trapped in the grooves in the teak is first evaporated by the sun, delaying (and hopefully preventing) heat transfer through to the cabin - and keeping the deck cool enough to walk on in bare feet.

EDIT: Hull, yes, but to my mind, no-one in the tropics should have a white deck - the sun glare can be really overpowering!! An off-white or (more commonly) cream colour doesn't absorb too much heat - but, if they had a choice, most people I know would go with teak.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 01-16-2011 at 04:58 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2011
PCP

My last boat had a teak deck. Teak is nice but besides the hot in the interior, on the outside on the sun it is a pain: You cannot go to the deck barefooted, at least I can't - the teak just gets too hot
post #7 of 11 Old 01-16-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
but, if they had a choice, most people I know would go with teak.
Errrr not in the cruising community I hang out in.

I can not argue with the beauty of a teak deck but in summer down here an unshrouded teak deck gets so hot you need shoes to walk on it while an off white GR job is OK barefoot.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-16-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Errrr not in the cruising community I hang out in.

I can not argue with the beauty of a teak deck but in summer down here an unshrouded teak deck gets so hot you need shoes to walk on it while an off white GR job is OK barefoot.
Hence why I stated that a teak deck is only slightly better than off-white and only if you can wet it down - especially before you walk on it!

If there is some reason why a bucket of sea-water every so often isn't a good idea (deck leaks, etc.) then, yes, you are far better off without it.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 01-16-2011 at 07:55 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Hartley.... nice new Avatar!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-16-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Hartley.... nice new Avatar!
Thanks, Faster!! I've gone up in the world...

Too difficult to change names (and am still irregularly involved in the goings-on of the Hartley TS18-21 Yacht Club) - so I won't bother.

If anyone asks, it's a "Hartley 30"...

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.