Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011

MichaelZZ is on a distinguished road
Centrebord keel 4'-6'11" - Do I actually sail on both?

I have seen some boats with adjustable keels e.g. C&C 32

Do I actually sail a boat this size at 4' draft or is that only meant to allow me to motor in to shallow bays?

I'm asking as the lake I'm in has in recent years had issues with water levels and depth so I am looking for a shoal draft boat. I just don't understand if it is feasible to sail a boat this size on a draft of only 4'?

THanks for any insights you can share with me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2011

fordo is on a distinguished road
You can certainly sail with the centerboard either up or down. The C&C 32 centerboard version has 800 lbs. of extra ballast so stability under sail should not be a problem with the board up. The big difference will be windward performance; not as good with the board up. On a beam reach you may slide off to leeward more with the board up. On a quarter reach or downwind you should be faster with the board up because there will be less wetted surface and therefore less drag.

The performance trade-off, IMHO, is small if the shoal draft opens up a big part of your sailing area.
Old 01-15-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
My Tartan 37 has a centerboard, up it draws 4'2", some owners have even glassed the centerboard over. It will depend on the design, my boat will sail very well, even to windward, with the board up.

A review by Jack Horner: BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Tartan 37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 01-15-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Our 35 C&C MKIII has a centerboard draft-4'6 up and 6'5 down. It is easilly winched up or let down through a linched line on the cabintop.

In shallow water of course we keep it up. It is most effective put down going to windward in winds of 15 knotts as it deters the weatherhelm as well as enables the boat to point higher ( closer to the wind) then if it was not down) Our model is quite sturdy and weighs in over 1000 lbs. It does not rattle in its case or make any noise and is we utilizes as SOP lowering it and raising it as conditions warrent. It has proven a distinct advantage to boats of similar size who do not have one when racing to windward.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With centerboards, too, you can adjust your CLR (centre of lateral resistance) somewhat by partially lowering or raising the board to help helm balance..

Sounds like you're getting closer, Michael...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-17-2011

Hello all and thanks so much for providng these insights to me. I shall continue my quest, still waiting on some info details from the broker on this one
Old 01-19-2011

An experienced sailor told me there's a stainless steel wire or something such on the centreboard boats to retract or fold out the keel and he says it'S not a matter of IF but WHEN the wire snaps.

- Any idea about this?

- Does anybody know what sort of effort is involved in engaging someone to make me a new one? What would it cost?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, this is probably true, especially for older setups that used 304 stainless, since that was far more susceptible to crevice corrosion. Any good rigging shop can make up a new stainless steel pennant, but it might be worth investigating making them up of Amsteel or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZZ View Post
An experienced sailor told me there's a stainless steel wire or something such on the centreboard boats to retract or fold out the keel and he says it'S not a matter of IF but WHEN the wire snaps.

- Any idea about this?

- Does anybody know what sort of effort is involved in engaging someone to make me a new one? What would it cost?

Thanks!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZZ View Post

- Any idea about this?

Thanks!
Michael--

Think of your centerboard as a tool to help prevent leeway. Centerboards generally do not increase stability (although an increase in lateral surface area will reduce roll). As a general guideline, the further off the wind you sail, the less board you need.

In re: your pendant, consider replacing the stainless steel cable with Spectra. Provided the lead is fair, a Spectra pendant will last far longer.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-31-2011

Thanks guys for sharing your insights. Sorry it took so long to get back here. As I explained in my other thread I kind of gave up on getting my own boat for the local waters here... but I really appreciate all help provided to me.