Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
lead mines

Mini transats are monohulls, some have ballast some have canting keels all are less than 23 feet. They cross the Atlantic often with solo crew. often do 16-20 knots.

Personal attack deleted

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-14-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Personal attack deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
That little gem of Bob Perry's must be some kind of rocket!

With all this creative modernity I feel compelled to retaliate in some way, however. Someone needs to speak up for the old ways. In this 1888 photo of ELF racing off Marblehead you will see an effective method of compensating for a burdensome keel. The photo is from a collection at MIT. This year, on May 21st ELF will be racing again.... from Annapolis to her home port at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.

Last edited by FishSticks; 02-15-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Please clarify what you mean by a burdensome keel.... Its not a term that I am familiar with. However if you are referring to my reference to a burdensome hull, I would like to suggest that we may be using the term 'burdensome' in different senses of the word.

I am using the term 'burdensome' in the traditional yacht design sense of the word. From a yacht design standpoint, a 'burdensome hull' is a hull which has a large capacity for carrying weight or volume. It is a little different than a heavy displacement hullform, in that some of these burdensome hullforms were evolved to carry large volumes of comparatively low density material. A classic example of a burdensome hull vs a less burdensome hull, might be comparing a cargo schooner like Sterling Hayden's Wanderer vs the Pilot schooners like the George Steers.

That is a great picture of Elf. I have seen her around the Bay and she takes her my breath away with her beauty. That picture illustrates one of the points that I was trying to make, i.e. when you have a boat with a lot of drag (and frankly Elf does not have a huge amount of drag for her length and era, and her keel approaches being a fin keel she has so much cut away forward and such a sharply raked rudder post) it takes a lot of sail area to move it, and when you add an inefficient sail plan to the mix of high drag, the sail area gets enormous by any standard. Sure is lovely though.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-16-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling and syntax
Old 02-15-2011
Old Gaffer

Jeff...I guess I misused the term burdensome. I meant a full keel with a huge wetted surface as contrasted with modern fin keels with low wetted surface. You might say burdensome as far as drag is concerned. This is what my keel looks like. The iron has smushed crabs in the Chesapeake, carved long furrows in sandbars and mudflats in New England and left scars on ledges in Maine. There's been some vice versa with the latter, but luckily nothing serious.

About ELF... Here is a description of the coming event in May:

"This event is being organized by the Classic Yacht Restoration Guild to recreate the sensibilities of yacht racing of the 1880’s when the races began on shore, included the row to the boat on mooring or anchor, making sail and reversing the process at the finish, in this case signing the race log at the Tolchester Bandstand on the grounds of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum."

In the photo below my 33 ft schooner is dwarfed by the rig in 35 ft ELF.

Last edited by FishSticks; 02-16-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Fish,

I think that we have met on several occasions. If I am not mistaken your schooner was at Bert Jabins for a while. I have stopped by and chatted on several different occasions as you were replacing some of your planks.

Regards,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 02-16-2011
Old Gaffer

Jeff... neither my boat nor I have ever been to Bert Jabins. It would be a pleasure to catch up with you some time, however. I have enjoyed reading your many informative posts. If you can make it up to the Maine Boat Builders Show next month, look me up at the American Schooner Association booth. Here's my boat name...

Last edited by FishSticks; 02-17-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2011

Thank you for the kind words. I would enjoy meeting you as well. While I have owned frozen-snot boats for the past 30 years, in years past, I owned and restored my share of worm catchers. (Folkboat, Stadel Pilot Class Cutter (not to be mistaken for the S&S Pilot), and a wooden Okay dinghy).

I wish I was able to get up to the Maine Boat Builder show but alas real life intrudes.

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 04-30-2011
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
I have to admit that I'm a sucker for a pretty gaff rigger....and that little Bob Perry design above is a pretty picture, indeed!! Can't say I understand why the fin keel on a gaffer...but I guess why not?

Gaff rigs are actually VERY efficient on points of sail from run to beam reach, then they start losing their efficiency from close reach on up...to downright lousy close-hauled. Seems that little beauty above might get a little squirrely close-hauled with the combination of the gaff AND tbe fin keel. But who am I to argue with Bob Perry? I see that his sail plan for her is pretty High Aspect....maybe that will make her more weatherly (at least as weatherly as gaffer can get, anyway).

Good work, Bob Perry !!! I wonder if she's sailing yet.
Old 05-01-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
restoring the boat i learned on.... back when i was 7

The Gossips of Rivertown: The Sloop Eleanor

i love gaff rigged sailboats...

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 05-03-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Part of why we enjoy Sailboats is the emotional appeal. Gaff rigs have it in spades.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.