Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Well, if Bob Perry says that it will hold, then I guess it will hold.

I'll also admit that Bob has me reconsidering whether I should bother installing a Solent stay on my Cal 2-27 (which is actually only about 26 1/2 feet LOA). In fact, the idea of just having two or three hanked-on jibs does sound appealing.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
...I'll also admit that Bob has me reconsidering whether I should bother installing a Solent stay on my Cal 2-27 (which is actually only about 26 1/2 feet LOA). In fact, the idea of just having two or three hanked-on jibs does sound appealing.
I'll tell you a mistake I made in fitting out our boat, in case it helps any.

When we purchased it, there were three sails: 130% genoa, mainsail, large asym chute.

The genoa was pretty tired, so I decided to replace it with a somewhat smaller (120%) and add a staysail.

I wish instead, that I had replaced the genoa with a somewhat larger 135%, and added a heavier weight 100%/blade type jib for heavy air -- probably similar to what Bob has.

Yes, I like having the staysail as an option, but truth be told when coastal sailing I prefer to stay sloop rigged. It would be really nice to have a larger genny and a small jib for how we sail the boat. And no runners necessary in that configuration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-29-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Slow:
If you want to throw money at your boat and get bang for the bucks the safe bet is always to put it into new sails. You have a good boat but I think it's too small for a staysail rig.

Think of it. A brand new 90% jib. Carved ivory. What could be better?

John:
Yes that is essentially what I have. But I have fractional rig so my jibs are pretty small.
For you, I think you nailed it, i.e. 135% and 100% or maybe 95% to be on the safe side.
Old 04-29-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I have a 110 on my 85 30' jeanneau, Frankly, I also wish I had an 80-90 to go with my storm jib for heavier airs. This would allow me to have a single reef, a full jib with the same sq footage or a bit smaller hopefully than a 110 and a double reef. I would have better control of the boat I think too with an 80% jib and single reef. I am probably getting picky too!

John, Not sure if you have an inner forestay. if so, stay below 130-135 for a genoa. I went from a 130 to a 140 for my daysail cruise, due to the lighter winds here in Puget sound, wish I would have stayed at 130, that would go around the MFS much easier than the 140 does. Then again, it could be because the sail is new, vs original. I have a 155 string, but that only comes out with race crew, to walk that puppy around when tacking.

Marty
Old 04-29-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Slow:
If you want to throw money at your boat and get bang for the bucks the safe bet is always to put it into new sails. You have a good boat but I think it's too small for a staysail rig.

Think of it. A brand new 90% jib. Carved ivory. What could be better?
Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning (until I change my mind again ). I was also a bit concerned about the turbulence that a furled genoa would induce in the flow over a Solent staysail. Is this a problem with Solent staysails in general?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-30-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Bob,

Thanks for the comments and thanks for a delightful boat. My head sails are hanked on and I do not have a storm jib yet. I will add sail track for a storm tri and buy a matched storm jib next. Your I-28 is so well mannered under all the conditions we have the sails for I should expect that a high cut storm jib will be equally well balanced by the correct storm tri.

The toe rails on this boat are bolted through the deck and join the hull. I think you could lift the boat from them if you had a half dozen hooks for each side. Spreading the load of a runner between three points is a great idea. I may not need it now and that makes it an even better idea!

Thanks again.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-30-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 05-02-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
450:
Don't cut that stortm jib too high. You want the center of pressure low on the sail. I'd put the clew at the lifeline height.

"Storm tri"? Where are planning on going?
Old 05-02-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
John:
Yes that is essentially what I have. But I have fractional rig so my jibs are pretty small.
For you, I think you nailed it, i.e. 135% and 100% or maybe 95% to be on the safe side.
Bob,

I think you're right that something closer to 95% would be the ticket -- my boat has a fairly large foretriangle. So even a 100% is not necessarily a small sail like it would be with a fractional rig.

In any case, I'm going to have to put some more wear and tear on the new genny before I make any more sail upgrades. I pretty well exhausted the sail budget on the new genny, staysail, and a mainsail over the past 3-4 years.

I should mention that I'm not deeply unhappy with what I've got. Only, that I think it could be better for how we use the boat. Live and learn!

Thanks again for your feedback. - John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-03-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Bob,

If the boat had a bit more storage space I would consider heading for Scotland. We will expand our range to include Newfoundland. We get an occasional spell of rough weather in the Gulf of Maine and I will feel more comfortable with the means to "comfortably" manage a stiff blow for more than a day or two. I will follow your advice on the cut of the storm jib. I thank you for that, too.

We are also considering a new main sail. I would welcome your thoughts on what it should be. An occasional "cruiser's race" but mostly coastal cruising is our normal season. The old main has a "shelf foot". It is in good condition. We are considering a loose footed main.

Old 05-03-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
If the boat had a bit more storage space I would consider heading for Scotland.
Drop the trysail and free up the storage space for grub and head to Scotland. Put a deep third reef in your new main instead. The most important function of a trysail is to protect your regular main from damage. Granted, the material will be heavier on a trysail but if things get ugly you strike the main entirely.

I sailed in the English Channel in F8 rising 9 with three reefs in the main and a staysail. Watchstander has to keep an eye on things, but in those sort of conditions they won't be curled up reading will they? *grin*

I agree with the positions above about headsail choice. Your boat is too small for inner forestay. If you are really worried about heavy weather you might talk to a modern sailmaker about a small jib with one of the new synthetic products as a luff "wire." Just a thought.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.