Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Bob

If I win a lottery you'd be first on my list - Jay isn't even on it.

(talk about thread drift)
Old 07-15-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Mit:
Thanks for that.
Keep buying those tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2011

deliane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I posted this in another forum with no results so before giving up I am going to try it here in the hope someone missed it before.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the sailing qualities of the Fortune 30 cutter? It was designed along Friendship sloop lines by Bob Fortune and Stan Huntingford and built in Vancouver B.C. in the 70's. They were moulded by Coopers and finished by various outfits including several homebuilts from hull & deck kits.

I know quite a bit about the design and variable construction but I'd like some input from anyone who has sailed one.
I have a Fortune 30 and just joined this site so I could weigh in. I bought the boat after the sea trial, in which she performed beautifully in winds of 20 knots. Sails well over in winds of 15 kn, but in lighter winds is not as lumpy as many would think, maybe because of the combo of spade rudder and cutaway keel. It is a nimble vessel, so in light winds that helps avoiding getting caught in the irons. But in the world of boat compromises, I wanted a hardy boat and I got it without too much of a payback in light wind sailing.
Old 07-16-2011

deliane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Out_Of_Water View Post
I've got a couple of magazine articles from “back in the day" featuring the Fortune 30 that include accommodation / sail plan drawings as well. They're PDF's so I can't upload them here but if you're interested let me know your email address I'll forward them.
I would appreciate it if you could send me those pdfs, as I my fortune 30 has undergone various modifications before I bought it and would like to have a baseline of sail plans. Over the few years I have owned it, I have gained a lot of respect for the Fortune but I must do some re-rigging and get new sails, so any info you could share would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliane View Post
I have a Fortune 30 and just joined this site so I could weigh in. I bought the boat after the sea trial, in which she performed beautifully in winds of 20 knots. Sails well over in winds of 15 kn, but in lighter winds is not as lumpy as many would think, maybe because of the combo of spade rudder and cutaway keel. It is a nimble vessel, so in light winds that helps avoiding getting caught in the irons. But in the world of boat compromises, I wanted a hardy boat and I got it without too much of a payback in light wind sailing.
Thanks Deliane - that's what I was looking for. It's also what I expected from my other knowledge of the boat but it's good to have it confirmed by someone with experience.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 07-17-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brian:
It may depend on how you define "development". I can barely spell it.

The rest of the time, while paying lots of attention to my previous designs, I started with a bare sheet of vellum with no other set of lines under it. I was brash. I always thought that "this time I'll do it better." That's what drove me. Still does.
Bob, your comments about Benford's involvement with the Fortune were interesting - I'd never heard about that. When I spoke to Fortune back in the day, he only spoke of Huntingford.

Your comments in the above quote are, IMHO, a big part of what made you one of the greats. Learning from past experience is very different from tweaking a past design and calling it new. That works in circumstances like the old IOR but in the rest of the design world it is very limiting.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Brian:
I worked for Jay in two segments for close to four years and I assure you that it was Jay's standard way of coming up with a "new" hull. He would change the bow and the transom but the rest was usually a "spalsh" of an existing design that he scaled up or down to suit. Jay justified it by saying that this way he knew the boat would work. Go back and look at a lot of Jay's early designs. You will see down in the right hand lower corner the initials "RHP". That's me. I was there.

We all have our own way of designing boats and Jay's way has worked for him so Kudos to him for that. I like Jay's work and I agree his boats are unique at least cosmetically. But for me, part of my make up that said to me, "You can do better" was the arrogance of starting each new design with a blank sheet of vellum.

To each his own.
Bob, you may not want to respond to this but... when you worked for Benford, did you work on any ferrocement boats? The reason I ask is that I once saw a 40ish foot pavement princess attributed to you (on Yachtworld I think). I remember thinking WTF? but your age when with Benford puts it into the realm of possibility.
Old 07-17-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
JohnB;
Yes I did. I was poor and I was hungry and I wanted to design boats. I worked on many ferro cement designs for Jay. I did not like it but I had to eat. I would watch Jay sell plans to couples who you know had a 1 in 65.2% chance of ever completing a boat and if they did it was probably a piss poor design that Jay had cobbled together. I felt bad. I'd have to go out and check their loifting and sometimes it was pathetic.

I probably should keep my mouth shut and be courteous but that's not my style. I prefer the truth. Whatever I say here today I will say here again tomorrow amd challenge anyone to prove me wrong. I'm 65 now and I'll be damned if I'm going to start lieing now.

Since the death of my son my patience has run thin with the BS of wankers. John I appreciate you giving me the chance to tell my end of the story. That's all it is. The way I saw it. As a very wise man once said, "I could be wrong. But I'm not, No I'm not."
Old 07-17-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
JohnB;
Yes I did. I was poor and I was hungry and I wanted to design boats. I worked on many ferro cement designs for Jay. I did not like it but I had to eat. I would watch Jay sell plans to couples who you know had a 1 in 65.2% chance of ever completing a boat and if they did it was probably a piss poor design that Jay had cobbled together. I felt bad. I'd have to go out and check their loifting and sometimes it was pathetic.

I probably should keep my mouth shut and be courteous but that's not my style. I prefer the truth. Whatever I say here today I will say here again tomorrow amd challenge anyone to prove me wrong. I'm 65 now and I'll be damned if I'm going to start lieing now.

Since the death of my son my patience has run thin with the BS of wankers. John I appreciate you giving me the chance to tell my end of the story. That's all it is. The way I saw it. As a very wise man once said, "I could be wrong. But I'm not, No I'm not."
Bob, after all those years and all those boats I think it would be the rare person who could argue with you about boats with any credibility - your contemporaries like Paine, Farr, Peterson, Holland etc. being about it.

You long since proved you're not wrong in that regard.
Old 07-20-2011

Fish_Out_Of_Water is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliane View Post
I would appreciate it if you could send me those pdfs, as I my fortune 30 has undergone various modifications before I bought it and would like to have a baseline of sail plans. Over the few years I have owned it, I have gained a lot of respect for the Fortune but I must do some re-rigging and get new sails, so any info you could share would be great. Thanks!
Will do deliane - just send me your contact info....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.