any 30' cruisers with end boom sheeting since mid 90s - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011

tpm1950 is on a distinguished road
Brian-- I'm hoping some sort of bimini can be customized around most layouts. It may be a few years before I'm ready for a dodger. But I think I'll have better luck learning to sail on a rig with a larger main, rather than learning to handle a large genoa.

John--How is a traveller on a bridge deck less of a risk of mainsheet sweeping the cockpit on a jibe? Is it because travellers aft of the cockpit angles upward and forward from traveller to end of boom? Rather than extending straight up from a traveler on a bridge deck?

Marty-- I'm going to check-out both of those two manufacturers' models, and look for the hull designs that won't pound in a chop. I didn't know that the 30i didn't use a car set-up.

Thanks for the help.
Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Tim

If the main is out on a run or broad reach and you jibe by mistake the mainsheet becomes slack as it sweeps across. If the traveler is aft or across the middle as in some designs it may get tangled on something or someone as it comes across. If it is on the bridgedeck the slack will be forward of the bulk of the cockpit.

A bimini can be arranged easily enough, but it won't connect to the dodger if there is one. You can possibly see from my avatar picture that my boom ends about 1' aft of the bridgedeck. The traveler is at the aft end of the bridgedeck. I will not have a problem rigging a bimini and a small hatch dodger is in my plans, keeping the aft cabin top open for line handling.

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-01-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Some of the pounding/chop will also be lowered going with a longer boat and WL. As it will take more wave length and height to get them to pound or chop. It really does not matter as much on the hull design in some cases. Yes, a rounder, deeper hull will help vs a wider flatter one. BUT, most boats in the last 15 yrs will be reasonably flat in some parts of it. Even my Tony Castro designed 1985 Jeanneau Arcadia has some flatness to the hull. Very similar to the CS36 Merlin across from me according to that owner who has seen his new to him boat and mine out of the water. having been out on his once, he does not pound in the same conditions I do to a degree.

But with that, if you go a bit longer, the C&C 99 has a cockpit traveler too. BUT< it is a bit more on the race side of things. but still has enough stuff to keep even the highest maintenance spouse from going "ew yuck" at the interior. My wife is one of those! She is happy in the newer C&C's! Tartan had a 3000 for a bit, not sure where the traveler is tho.

Beneteau's first series boats, also have cockpit travelers. Probably on par just behind the cabin area as Brians CS and my Arcadia. I believe his boat is also a Castro design too. The C36M and mine have similar features.

They do exist, or in some cases, like the Jeanneau line, if you find a Sun Odyssey version, look up the Sun Fast version to see how the cockpit traveler was done, and convert it. While I will not say many, but there have been a few with SO's posting on the Jeanneau-owners.com site with this in mind, some having done so etc with the current 30, 33 older 32's, 35's, 37's.

marty
Old 08-01-2011

Hanse has some recent boats in the 29-32' range that also have cockpit controlled main sheets. Some appear to be single point bolts, others have an actual traveler. Frankly, the ones with a single bolt, with some ingenuity, no matter the brand, this can be tweaked to have an actual traveler.

Marty
Old 08-03-2011

Brian--I didn't realize that the sheet (not just the boom) could also cause trouble. This may get me reading more about preventers and boom brakes.

Marty--I'm going back to the Hanse and Jeanneau models looking at the possibility of converting/changing mainsheet control. Hopefully there a few models that are not too flat in the forefoot.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-03-2011

Tim,

Here is a link to a conversion from cabin top to cockpit on a Jeanneau SO32, looks pretty good to me. It may be similar if not the same as used in the SunFast models.

SO32 Mainsheet Track

Marty
Old 08-03-2011

That's an interesting idea Marty. I have more than few boats I like (Sabre 30, C&C 30, ...) except for the fact they have cabin top sheeting. That SO 32 track suggests that if boom is long enough, the cockpit can accommodate a traveller, and you are mindful of the risks of an accidental gybe---maybe converting to end boom sheeting works well on some boats. I'll check-out the forums of those specific boats, to see if there is a record of successful conversions.

I guess this is the point Denise was making at the beginning of this thread.
Tim

Last edited by tpm1950; 08-03-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: adding a PS
Old 08-04-2011

Tim,

Doing what you want to do is not that big of a deal. There is an older Cal T2 from the mid 70's, that came with a coach roof main sheet, the owner put a piece of wood across the cockpit just behind the cabin, installed a main sheet their. Works very well for him. Similar to where my main sheet is, but by design in my case.

If the above boat were mine, I would have tried to get the traveller farther back. BUT, I am assuming the boat in question was a wheel steered boat, i would want the traveler as close to the wheel as possible. If this boat is a tiller, then a bit farther forward might be the way to go. OR< they wanted it a bit forward, as to not interfere with the the table that is in front of the wheel binnacle.

To say the least, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and moving the traveler from the roof to the cockpit is doable, but one will have to think out of the box for some models.

Then digging for that article, I did figure out the NEW jeanneau 33iP(erformance) has a traveler in the cockpit vs the eyebolt. So it is also possible the 30iP is the same way if you want to go new with either model. BUT, i am swag'ing you want an older not new model.

marty
Old 08-05-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm1950 View Post
John--How is a traveller on a bridge deck less of a risk of mainsheet sweeping the cockpit on a jibe? Is it because travellers aft of the cockpit angles upward and forward from traveller to end of boom? Rather than extending straight up from a traveler on a bridge deck?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm1950 View Post
Brian--I didn't realize that the sheet (not just the boom) could also cause trouble. This may get me reading more about preventers and boom brakes....
Tim,

On our boat, with the traveller on the trailing edge of the bridgedeck, the occupants of the cockpit are generally aft of the mainsheet, so not at risk of getting caught by it in a jibe. And yes, it's the slack mainsheet that is the issue much more so than the boom. Regardless of where the traveller is located, boom brakes and/or preventers are good practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
..................Regardless of where the traveller is located, boom brakes and/or preventers are good practice.
I would agree with this part, or this happens, not that a preventer or brake would have been on at the time of this uncontrolled gybe as it happened as we were rounding a mark double reefed in 35-40+ winds............did a "here hold my beer watch this!" did not work!

Here is a view of where my main sheet is, I have seen on another boat about the same size, where the person put a piece of wood across, a tall track then bolted everything down, vs having the traveler on the bridge top. I also have a 4-1 with a 4-1 micro giving me 16-1 with the smaller setup, works nice in heavier winds to dump, pull in etc with one hand vs the main on, sometimes one can not pull the line in as far as we would like. A 6-1 might be better if you do not want a micro. The micro is nice for fine tuning etc too.