Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011

tpm1950 is on a distinguished road
any 30' cruisers with end boom sheeting since mid 90s

There are a lot of classic plastic 30' cruisers designed for easier single hand sailing. But i can't find as many built since the late 90s, other than expensive daysailers. Are there any 28-31' cruisers built in the last 15 years that would be easy to single hand? Not for racing, just safe/stable family cruising in Lake Erie chop.

Do most sailors prefer the traveller on the coach roof instead of end boom sheeting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'm under the assumption that just about any boat that size or somewhat larger can be set up for single handing. It may take a bit of contemplation and planning before drilling holes in cabin tops and decks for hardware and routing the lines, but it's not rocket science. Cabin top travelers seem to be the biggest problem with Single handing.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2011

Thanks Denise, it will be interesting to see if anyone comments on doing that kind of project. I'm just starting, so I'd probably only consider it if it's been done a lot to a particular model. Maybe some models are better suited to that kind of conversion than others.

Must be that boatbuilders hear that most people don't like the traveller in the cockpit.
Old 07-31-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm1950 View Post
Thanks Denise, it will be interesting to see if anyone comments on doing that kind of project. I'm just starting, so I'd probably only consider it if it's been done a lot to a particular model. Maybe some models are better suited to that kind of conversion than others.

Must be that boatbuilders hear that most people don't like the traveller in the cockpit.
For single handing smaller boats a la 30' or so, you'll want the main sheet within easy reach. This makes a cockpit traveller something to be seen as very positive. Like Denise said, many boats can be optimized for single handing. The biggest decisions aside from steering will be in how you'll deal with sail handling. 30', hanked jibs can work very well. Foils aren't impossible at all, but you have to work on your drops to keep the sail on deck. Main, a very simple set of home made lazy jacks that you can pull out of the way are really nice. For some ideas, download this, it's chock full o' good stuff:

Singlehanded Tips Book

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-31-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2011

I appreciate those single handed tips puddinlegs; that's a lot of helpful advice.

My preference would be a tiller, but I wouldn't mind a wheel if the traveller and primaries were reachable without having to move in front of wheel. Most models don't make it that easy. The Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 30i looks like a great deck layout, but those are out of my price range. I hope to find one or two models built within the last 15 years that were originally designed with end boom sheeting and a sea kindly hull form for family cruising instead of racing.
Old 08-01-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The main reason for mid boom sheeting of the main is the obstruction caused by the cockpit dodger and/or bimini. With a lot of booms ending just aft of the companionway a cabin top traveler is the only way. Before the IOR rule mains were larger, booms were longer, and end boom sheeting was more common.

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-01-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
And after the IOR as well!
Old 08-01-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Our previous boat had end-boom sheeting, with the traveller aft of the cockpit. Our current boat has the mainsheet attached about 3/4-4/5 back on the boom, with the traveller on the trailing edge of the bridgedeck.

The current arrangement is much preferable to the previous end-boom arrangement. End-boom sheeting means you have a mainsheet sweeping the cockpit on jibes -- a potential danger to be very mindful of especially with family in the cockpit.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of having the traveller forward of the companionway hatch, but it does have advantages too. And with some ingenuity, it can be controlled from farther aft. Still, I prefer where it is on our boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-01-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Jeanneau's and some Beneteaus had cockpit sheeting. the new SO30i and 33i from jeanneau is cockpit mounted. Unfortunately, the sheet goes to an eyebolt equal on the cabin floor, not to a car setup. Older sunfast models also had cockpit travelers. the 32 is findable, but rare. Some have taken the SO version and done a cockpit travelers aftermarket of the same style. I am nto positve, but would find it hard to find the 28' version in NA< if in Europe, these two sizes would be almost a dime a dozen.

Another reason for the cabin top traveler, is a lot of folks do not want to lose the cockpit room or crawl over the traveler. Along with the dodger issue as mentioned.

marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 08-01-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I actually looked up some jeanneau models, 30' versions with tillers and cockpit travellers go back many years. Sun Light, Sun Dream, Sun Odysseys, SUn fast models in the 28, 29 31 and 32' versions were very common. BUT, If you read the spec, the NA models came with wheels and cabin top travelers generally as std. The tiller/cockpit traveler models do exist.

Dehler has made a 29' model for about 15yrs, not sure how many are on this side of the pond.

The tiller model is way more common in Europe than here. Look at european manufactures.

marty