Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
We met some Aussies in the South Pacific who had a fold-up platform. It looked good and was quite practical when anchored for getting into and out of the dink.
Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The getting torn off issue occurred to me as well, but with as many powerboats that have them that go out in open water, I didn't know if it was a practical concern, or a "once in a million" concern.

Seems like it would work for coastal/near offshore, but not something to have on a primarily open water boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
This is what we are thinking of adding to the Womboat. My only worry to be frank would be noise from waves slapping up underneath.

This is the stern of Raven. To my mind preferable to platform but is a bit slappy at anchor.

Personally I'd be happy with an open stern even though yes a pooping might be , would be, more likely but the open stern beats the hell out of even the very best cockpit drains.
Faster likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, or picky on my weather windows, but I've yet to come close to a pooping. With a sugarscoop though, I prefer a walkthrough, just to keep things from sliding out the back.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-09-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
Of course if you add one of those fold-up ones, you'll need to re-paint the boat name on the underside so it shows when the platform is up.
Old 02-10-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
We had a fixed swim step on our Northsea 34. It was small, only about 2.5' across and maybe 1' deep. It made getting into and out of the dinghy a breeze. It was a bolt on from the factory, not sure if it would survive breaking seas on it. It was solid, cutting some slots in it would help I'm sure. For coastal sailing it was great.

You can kind of see it here

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-10-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

Oddly enough, having one would make getting in my Walker Bay dinghy harder. As it is, I use the crossbar on the davits to step into the center, where with a platform, I'd have to go in over the side. Not a problem with an inflatable, but not as easy with a hard dinghy.

I would definitely have slots in one, if I put one on.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-10-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
One thought is that getting pooped is more "lethal" on a sugarscoop / swim platform.
Why is getting pooped with a sugarscoop stern more lethal? It seems that pooping comes in two parts...first the impact which might break things or sweep people overboard, followed by the second, which is the need to clear the water off the boat before the next wave hits. The open sugarscoop stern will clear the water much faster than a pair of cockpit drains. (On my 19 ft. fishing boat, I had a situation where combination of waves and big wake kicked up by a big power cruiser flooded the boat and the two cockpit drains, about the same size as those on most sailboats took quite a time in removing the water that was collected.) And most people don't realize, but it doesn't take much water above the deck in the cockpit area to begin to affect stability, so you want to clear it quickly. So far as being washed overboard, this is more a issue for tethers and harnesses. And things breaking would be a function of how strong/rugged the boat build is.

What am I missing?
Old 02-20-2013

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just wondering

This was something that I did to my Pearson 36.
My requirements were that it be completely removable but it also needed to be tough enough to have me never question the footing.

This was the original plan I roughed out with pintels and gudgeons. Pad Eyes for the cable supports. The material was a plastic floor grate for a commercial kitchen. It was given to me as an oval and I cut it to meet my needs.

Now I have small kids and I'm in the process of rebuilding bigger and stronger. I'm going with a 1" SS tubing welded at most joints, decked over with something like 1/2" AZEK. The tentative plan is for a hinge system so it can flip up. It will look chunky but with the boat on a mooring, the whole family boarding via dingy and little ones that are like fish so far, it's got to be done.

I'll look and see if I can find some of the research pic's I've snapped of other designs I've seen.
Old 02-20-2013

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just wondering

Found them. Here are some more pic's I've snapped of other designs as I creep the docks in different ports.

Again they are all more static and I really want something that can fold up. The 2.0 version will have a pull out ladder too. I'll post the plans and pics this spring as I build it.

Tags
swim platform , swimplatform