Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Just wondering

Reading about Bob's new design, got me wondering about something I've often thought about in regards to "pre-sugarscoop" boats. Is there something inherently negative, design or performance - wise, about adding a swimplatform to the transom of a sailboat?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
One thought is that getting pooped is more "lethal" on a sugarscoop / swim platform.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
PB.. you thinking of the 'sugar scoop' thing or a more typically powerboat-style stern platform? more of an add on than part of the structure?

I know that several boats with vertical or more traditional transoms have had such platforms added.. I think that it's a practical idea (as long as boarding ladders are not compromised) but tough to do in a way that doesn't spoil the lines aesthetically.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I was referring to the teak powerboat bolt on type, though I did see an older Pearson that had a homemade add-on sugarscoop.

Mostly, I'm just curious if it's a structural question or one of aesthetics. For example, if done right, it could be an ideal place for the propane locker. Or to make dinghy access easier.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-09-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Don't know if you have seen Mark Ellis' large motorsailor designs - some made by Cabo Rico and some by Bruckmann Yachts. They are motorsailors with the emphasis on sail. They have a platform with a transom door and you can walk from the platform into the pilothouse all on one level. Other than price, I think these are incredible boats.

Old 02-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sceptre yachts always put them on the Sceptre 41 PH boats.. the most recent versions became the '43' when a sugar scoop and a more open walkthrough transom replaced this idea.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

Yeah, that's what I had in mind, just never came across one yet. Don't know that I'd add one, but it's one of those ideas that keeps floating around in the back of my mind.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-09-2012
Just another Moderator

The Ontario 32 would be a decent candidate for one.. I think the trick would be to keep it as small as possible and still be functional. The Sceptre one hit's the mark pretty well, but it is still a slightly raked transom. Your boat may need a deeper one to work with the transom angle. We have a friend who added one to his C&C 35 MkIII....

Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

I haven't really looked at the cost/benefit aspect, so I don't know if it would be worth doing, but I'd want something deep enough to sit on.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-09-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about this too - My worry was getting the thing torn off along with some of the fiberglass in a big following sea. That made me try to think about one that would fold up against the transom. I didn't get any farther than that but it is still something I think about because it would make it much easier for my wife to get in and out of the dinghy

Tags
swim platform , swimplatform