Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
What If...I added a gunter rig to my '66 Columbia 29 Mk II

I have had my '66 Columbia 29 Mk II for almost a year. She's a good S&S design popular in SF bay and a winner there in the 60's but time has passed her a bit these days. Those familiar with this boat and the MK I's and the Defender 29's (which were same hull but had different superstructures and abit less ballast) know that the masts are thick and short by today's standards and the sail area on the MK II is only 382 s.f. ,for example.
I'm not a racer but am just curious what if anything one could do to get her sail area into the 400s.f. range or more without hurting her performance. Okay, the ballast on a MkII Columbia 29 is 4,120 lbs with a displacement of 8,400 lbs....(almost 2-1 ratio) so at first glance it seems this boat could handle more sail... In short, would the esteemed gallery concede that these boats are some of the most low-down, leadbelly bitches ever made by a commercial factory?
So with that in mind, what might the outcome be if someone designed say, a gunter rig mast extension specifically for the Columbia 29's? Afterall, the sailing gurus of the 70's did this with their IOR boats like the Hunter's and Catalina's to give them alternate racer models with a bit more sail area... In contrast, I know the Columbia 29's were CCA boats with big long booms and mainsail feet with small headsails vs. the IOR boats they did the gunter rigs with...but...how would that affect a decision to add a gunter rig somehow..or would that be a wise course or not...If not..then how could I increase sail area and speed..(right now the MKII lists at 6.36 kts hull speed)...Better to just leave this boat's sail plan alone?...if so then why... Any comments appreciated...it's been a slow week on the sailing forums...

Last edited by souljour2000; 02-16-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Soul:
Are you saying that IOR boats had "Gunter" rigs? To begin with, I don't consider Catalinas and Hunters IOR boats. Maybe you would enjoy my long article on the IOR currently out in GOB magazine. I don;t recall any boats over 20' having "Gunter" rigs. Did I miss something? Can you post a pic or a sketch of what you have in mind?

Maybe just a nice new set of high performance sails with some extra roach on your main (if your helm can take it) would do the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-16-2012

Bob..okay..you right..they werent gunter rigs...but some of the mid-70's catalina-hunbters had "tall rigs' which I ass-sumed incorrectly were gunter-style appendages...And yes... I had thought of possibly going with a extra-roach main...Your of course correct now that I think about it...gunter rigs are for smaller boats from what I gather...The "tall rigs" of catalina/hunter ilk were simply taller masts with nothing "scarfed on"...
Old 02-16-2012
grumpy old man

Soul:
I hear you. I really think you should connect with a fancy sail maker who will sell you some nice tape drive sails. I have UK tape drive sals on my boat and they made a huge difference and like you I have a boat that is short on sail area. (I still like it).

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-16-2012

Thanks Bob...I will look into it. It's not that important as I am just toying with the idea of flying a bigger sail plan...but only if I can be reasonably sure of few if any drawbacks...I am not that well-versed in sail dynamics so that is another reason to leave things alone for now actually...she needs so much attention to other areas right now...I did sail her from Sarasota to Cedar Keys,FL then on the leg back to Tarpon Springs north of Clearwater,FL last summer...17 hours and 78 miles singlehanded with alot of it with no land in sight and 13-14 miles offshore...5.5 knots max on the gps....lots of gear on board and wanting a bottom job...was a blast though...gained a new respect for singlehanders that I cannot put into words...increased sailplan is way down my list but it's a nice thought...thanks for yours...

Last edited by souljour2000; 02-16-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Soul:
I hear you. I really think you should connect with a fancy sail maker who will sell you some nice tape drive sails. I have UK tape drive sals on my boat and they made a huge difference and like you I have a boat that is short on sail area. (I still like it).

Bob,

Thoughts on these 'tape drive sails' for a cruising boat ?

How are they for furling ... both headsails and main ?

Cheers
Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-16-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2012
grumpy old man

TDW:
I have my jib on hanks and a loose footed main furled on the boo, I have had mine now for over eight years and they still look new. I am very happy with the sails.
Attached Thumbnails
What If...I added a gunter rig to my '66 Columbia 29 Mk II-perrywinkle-sails.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-17-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
I purchased a UK Passagemaker II 145% jib in 1992. The mylar jib with tape drive has a triangular, foam luff pad which helps maintain the shape if you partially furl the sail. It's pretty shot but I still used it some in 2011.
Old 02-18-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
We really liked our tape-drive genoa. We get more sun here than Bob does up in the fogbanks they call the Pacific NW though, so the UV degradation (and some heavy-duty racing - we won our club championship twice) essentially blew it to bits after five seasons. Couldn't even use it for raking leaves, the way you can with old dacron sails, because the pieces were flaking off all over, and the rake would get caught in the tapes. Nice sail, all the same.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.