Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Mast wiring access panel

I am doing some work on the base of my mast. I have never opened the wiring access panel before. Ten ss machine screws secure a rectangular aluminum plate in the side of the mast about 6 inches above the base. Since I was doing other work I decided to remove it and clean things up. Ha! Removing it is a bigger chore than I had anticipated.

After removing all the fasteners the only thing left holding it in place was the "sealant" that was used to bed it by the PO. It may be 5200?!! How in the world would I have gained access to the wiring with the mast up if I had needed to? I have "tapped", pried, added solvent and I have the mast lying on its side at waist level! My next effort will be to apply gradual pressure using a C-clamp while warming things with a heat gun. I expect even 5200 will give up. It goes back on with either nothing or butyl caulk. What a PITA it would have been to confront this with the mast up and the wires "in there somewhere" needing attention.

Can you get your mast wiring access panel off?

Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mast wiring access panel

Down, I needed an impact driver the first time I tried to remove an access panel. One of those tools you always figure would be real handy once in a great while. Sure is. It can really motivate philips head screws without smashing the slots up.
Old 03-25-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast wiring access panel

Hello,

With some care all the screws cooperated . I thought having them removed was a real milestone in removing the panel. NOT! The visible bead of sealant looks like silicone but it sure acts stronger than I would have expected for old silicone. It is my plan to eliminate the inspection plate to make room for a couple of "cheek plates" to accommodate a new mast step / tabernacle. I would just weld it in place without removing it if it didn't have the sealant there. I need to clean it first.

If I were putting it back as a removable inspection panel I would use Butyl tape as a sealant, or none. Perhaps just a good smearing with Lancote?

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-25-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: content

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.