Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012
amyspins

amyspins is on a distinguished road
no limber holes to bilge

I have a new to me 1981 H-28 (Fiberglass) and I'm discovering several places where rain water is getting in and collecting in odd crannies about the boat. Under the forward v-berth- aft of the integral water tank there is a storage space that collects water - no limber hole to the bilge for drainage - also under the settee seats - water is collecting - no drainage holes

Another weird thing I did not notice till I owned the boat was that the head sink drains into the toilet - not to the bilge - filling up my holding tank -

Anybody have experience with this kind of thing?

The tricky thing is that there is so much lovely wood covering everything below decks that it is difficult to figure out whats going on under the boards- it seems like I have no forward bilge to drain to at all-

Thanks for any advice

Amy
Old 06-15-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
no limber holes to bilge

Amy, stopping the leaks before they do damage to the deck should be a priority. The sink should go to a through-hull below the water line. Look around - you might find one you can use. Otherwise you'll have to wait for the next haul-out. in the interim, wash your hands in the galley.
every used boat has a couple surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: no limber holes to bilge

Draining the sink into the head was an old trick in the days before holding tanks - it helped to keep the head & hoses clean due to the soapy water that regularly went through it. It also saved a hole in the hull as well as the concomitant hardware.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-17-2012

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
sink drain

Are you sure that the sink in the head drains to the toilet? And not to a shared through-hull that also supplies sea water to the toilet?

If the latter is the case, open the valve on the through-hull and pump the toilet. With the sink basin dry, it ought to flush with sea water .

Close the through-hull valve and fill the sink basin with fresh water. Then pump the toilet and it will suck the basin dry.

Not only does this put fresh water into the inlet side of the toilet system (and thus eliminating organism-laden sea water sitting in your toilet and stinking), it's also an easy way to winterize the head: fill the basin with pink antifreeze and pump it through to the holding tank.
Old 06-19-2012
amyspins

Thanks for the replies -

yes - the basin drains directly to the toilet via a copper pipe poking in under the seat - direct feed- all that will do for me is add some fresh water, tooth paste and soap to my holding tank- oh well

there seems to be no access to the bilge from the head- it's all glassed over-

I will have to work on getting the leaks fixed - difficult to access any of the deck hardward from inside the cabin- it's all panelled over -

it never ends, does it?

Thanks for all the advice

Amy
Old 06-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Amy,

Figuring out how to remove the head liner can be a real pain. I would really recommend calling the manufacturer and seeing if they have any recomendations on how to get access. Failing that there may be an owners forum somewhere that can give you some ideas.

Whatever you do though, don't cut new limber holes in the bilge. Most stringers are structual in nature, and drilling holes can significantly reduce their strength. Without knowing where you can safely cut you could cause major problems with hull flex by doing so. There are a few products that can keep those spaces dry, but until the hardware is fixed nothing will work.
Old 06-20-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Amy, there's no telling what or why a PO did. Some folks want to streamline the boat or spend less on through-hulls, or simply flush the head with fresh water to eliminate the dead seawater critter odor, so they plumb it that way. Once upon a time LI Sound wasn't a no-discharge zone, either. So you manage with it, and when you haul for the winter take a good look, there may be traces where a sink drain used to be, if not, install a new one.

What's an H? Hinckley? Call 'em up, ask them how to remove the floorboards and where to expect limber holes, they should be down there. As Stumble says, don't just cut new ones at random, know where and how to drill new ones, and how to seal the edges of them, if you need to.

And the deck leaks are a priority, worth not sailing one weekend if that's what it takes to find them and seal them before there's damage to the boat. You'll find plenty of threads on finding leaks. The easiest way is often to use a shopvac or leafblower to pressurize the hull. Toss soapy water on the deck, and watch to see where the bubbles blow. Trying to locate the leaks from below is harder, because the water "goes in here" then runs around before it "goes out there" and what you need to fix is the "here" end above deck.
Old 06-21-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What's an H? Hinckley?
Parkins H28 is an L. Francis Herreshoff design.

‘‘IF H28s design is only slightly changed, the whole balance may be thrown out. If you equip her with dead eyes, build her with sown frames, or fill her virgin bilge with ballast, the birds will no longer carol over her, nor will the odours arising from the cabin make poetry, nor will your soul be fortified against a world of warlords, politicians and fakers…”

L. Francis Herreshoff
Old 06-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
‘‘IF H28s design is only slightly changed, the whole balance may be thrown out. If you equip her with dead eyes, build her with sown frames, or fill her virgin bilge with ballast, the birds will no longer carol over her, nor will the odours arising from the cabin make poetry, nor will your soul be fortified against a world of warlords, politicians and fakers…”

L. Francis Herreshoff
Apparently a lot of people never read that. Offhand I can't think of another design I have seen as many "modified" variants of.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-21-2012
amyspins

Yes - it's a Herreshoff - and yes - it was modified so the birds don't carol over me - but she's still pretty.

I figured out where the leak was coming from- the raw water intake goes from the engine to the head for flushing - in the line under my settee is a toilet treatment unit- the access to that was not properly tightened - and I wasn't fully closing the valve on the raw water intake - I felt like such a dope when I figured that out!

THere is a very active owners group in NZ - I haven't found many folks here that have my version-Mine is Hull # 15 made by Parkins Marine in Florida - they didn't make too many - they are out of business. I understand they sold their molds to Middleton Marine- but I haven't been able to contact them either. I have plans for the original design (Mystic Seaport) but the plans are for a wooden ketch. I have the "plastic snot" sloop version.

I'm learning as I go - thanks for all the helpful advice!!

Amy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.