Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Mast Step on an Irwin 43?

I'm looking at an Irwin 43 center cockpit that appears to have some compromised wood in a lateral stringer near the front cabin/head. A limber hole was drilled through the stringer just to starboard of the mast box to run a fresh-water hose underneath the sole. When they drilled they threaded the hose right through the limber hole and never sealed the wood/plywood. Since then the wood has absorbed water and part of the stringer "rings" dead with a hammer.

Access there is a bear, the surveyor and I are uncertain if the lateral stringer we see forward of the mast box is integral in the support of the mast or if it just mated or "sistered" up to the actual box/step that is the true support for the mast. The stringer could just support the molded plastic floor and the mast step/box is not really part of the compromised wood. There is a house bank battery tray in the way, we peeked in all the areas we could see but just can't tell if the stringers are "weight bearing" or if the mast step has its own supports actually beneath the mast itself.

I know this verbal description is a bit weak, what I'm looking for is if anyone has an idea of what the actual construction is like under the mast of this vessel or better yet a diagram or repairs undertaken at one time?

This is pretty serious issue and we are not sure how to proceed further with the seller unless he authorizes some invasive investigation!!

Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Mast Step on an Irwin 43?-irwin-mast-base.jpg  
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by F15EWSO; 06-17-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added photo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast Step on an Irwin 43?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
I'm looking at an Irwin 43 center cockpit that appears to have some compromised wood in a lateral stringer near the front cabin/head. A limber hole was drilled through the stringer just to starboard of the mast box to run a fresh-water hose underneath the sole. When they drilled they threaded the hose right through the limber hole and never sealed the wood/plywood. Since then the wood has absorbed water and part of the stringer "rings" dead with a hammer.

Access there is a bear, the surveyor and I are uncertain if the lateral stringer we see forward of the mast box is integral in the support of the mast or if it just mated or "sistered" up to the actual box/step that is the true support for the mast. The stringer could just support the molded plastic floor and the mast step/box is not really part of the compromised wood. There is a house bank battery tray in the way, we peeked in all the areas we could see but just can't tell if the stringers are "weight bearing" or if the mast step has its own supports actually beneath the mast itself.

I know this verbal description is a bit weak, what I'm looking for is if anyone has an idea of what the actual construction is like under the mast of this vessel or better yet a diagram or repairs undertaken at one time?

This is pretty serious issue and we are not sure how to proceed further with the seller unless he authorizes some invasive investigation!!

Thoughts??
I'm no expert but it literally "sounds' like you know what you got there...would make me wonder what else a P/O did sloppily... That could be a fairly severe repair regimen possibly as I am sure you know...would definitely affect asking price...You sound like you just need to get the seller to see what is there...and price accordingly...and that this is a pricepoint issue that you and your surveyor aren't just inventing out of thin air...
...And they say buying and selling a boat are the two best days..I disagree...

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-16-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Not a cheap fix. We are replacing the mast step in a Tayana 37 at present. Doable but not cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Not a cheap fix. We are replacing the mast step in a Tayana 37 at present. Doable but not cheap.
Yep Surveyor and Broker estimated $2k to pull and re-step the mast. Then the labor/materials is sketchy until we could get at the compromised area better. It would be nice if the box is separate from the stringer.

I added a photo to the OP at the top of the page
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Last edited by F15EWSO; 06-17-2012 at 09:17 AM.