Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013
Not So Junior Member

BCboy is on a distinguished road
Re: 94 Hunter Legend 35.5 & Yanmar 3GM30F

Thanks Faster. We went and looked at Whisper today. It is with Meridian. A very nice broker named John. It's at the River Rock Marina in Richmond. It's listed as a 1994, but we found that it is actually a 1992. The price has been reduced to $49,500. I didn't notice any water damage and it smelled ok. There was a tarp over the cabin top though. Makes you wonder. The broker says the yanmar was rebuilt in 2011..? Hour meter says 600 hours. Why would someone rebuild an engine with just 600 hours on it?
Next is to make the trek over to see Manitoia. It's 5 grand more but maybe worth it.

Last edited by BCboy; 04-05-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: deleted incorrect statement about absentee owner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sounds familiar.. where we saw the leakage was inside one of the lockers alongside a hull port, stbd side. The wood ceiling was black and moldy. This could be a different one, though, unless she's been moved.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-29-2013

Saltonsails is on a distinguished road

Hi Kevin.

I'm still in the market, however if I wish to stay married I think I'm going to have to cool my jet's for a while.

I found one in Ladysmith (Insouciant) that was nice and reasonably clean, but again over priced. Owners are in Alberta and just don't use it..... Just checked they brought the price down to 54,900 to match everyone else. I think I still have the photo's and could send them if you wish. Over all it seemed to be a good boat, here is the yachtworld link YW# 68091-2499397.
It has a leak in it's stuffing box that has caused some corrosion on the linkage for the transmission. That fixed up and a little TLC would make a good coastal cruiser.

I'm under the impression that Hunter is not a great off shore choice, (thickness of fibreglass in the hull and a few other things), if that's what you wish to do then Catalina may be a better choice for you. Hunter has all the bell's and whistles for it's price point, however it's not top quality and these things tend to break down. Something to keep in mind when looking at boats.

Hunter is about 12-15k less than Catalina for a similar size boat, there has to be a reason. For what I was looking at Hunter gave the biggest bang for my dollar. I'm into coastal cruising as I'm a neophyte to sailing and I was (am) looking for a fun boat to learn on and something that will double as a cottage.

Hope this helps, keep me posted as to your progress.

Cheer's, Rob.
Old 01-29-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Saw the CL listing for Whisper today... not sure that's the same boat we saw in Captains Cove, but not sure it's not either..

I think you could get get a similar vintage C34 for similar money nowadays, but not close to home - and if it's a 91 or newer you'll get the open transom version. The cockpit is better even in the MKI versions than the H35.5. Mostly I like the 'look' of the H35.5 better than the Catalinas although I do think the MKII versions are much improved.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-08-2013

Raven is on a distinguished road

Hi Faster and Saltonsails,

You're right my Legend 35.5 is amazing and still at Heather Civic Marina. I took it off the market but will put her up again soon. Someone still interested? Let me know

Cheers,

Raven
Old 02-08-2013

Raven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Hi Rob

Which of the 355s listed locally are you looking at?

I do think that that model/year of Hunter is a good choice for our area.. decent/good layout, nice galley and reasonable cockpit. I also like the conventional fractional rig and frankly quite like the 'look' of the boat esp vs the following 'hot tub cockpit' series that replaced it.

The one in Ladner had some serious issues when we looked at it; I've not seen the one in West Van, but did look at a bit of a 'one-of' wrt to rig and sail controls, that I've been told is now off the market. There's an absolutely cherry one privately for sale in Heather Civic, very well kept but is priced a tad high....

As to the engine I think you'll find that model on a lot of boats... if it's been looked after I'd not worry too much on that score.
Thanks for the compliment Yes my Legend 35.5 is great for sure and I've put it back on the market.
Old 05-07-2013
Not So Junior Member

Just an update guys...
We took the dive and bought Whisper! (Whisper is not the one at Captains Cove) She's a 92 Legend 35.5 with a Yanmar rebuilt in 2009. After looking at many boats in this size we decided that the Hunters offered the very most boat for the money. Maybe not the best reputation for offshore cruising but we are never going do to that in this boat. Coastal cruising and club racing is how we will enjoy Whisper. On the other hand, I note that any offshore credentials that Hunter boasts have always been in one of the Legend series boats.
Old 05-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Congrats.. where will you keep her?

Old 05-07-2013
Not So Junior Member

Our home port is Point Roberts marina.
Old 05-08-2013

Saltonsails is on a distinguished road

Well done, hope you post some pic's.