SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   What kind of boat is this? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/92411-what-kind-boat.html)

L124C 09-24-2012 04:47 PM

What kind of boat is this?

1 Attachment(s)
When I first saw this boat, I thought it was concrete, due to the unique appearance of the dodger (I guess thats a dodger!), coach top, and a slightly crude hull finish. According to the owner (who doesn't seem to know much about it, or boats in general), It is fiberglass, and has a foam core deck. He thought it "might" be a Pearson.
Looks stout!. Appears to be a one off, home made (not production) boat to me. Has nice lines in an odd way, though...the Dodger's a bit harsh on the eye. Probably 32 - 34 feet. Thoughts? (Boat's name removed to protect the innocent!).

Faster 09-24-2012 05:05 PM

Re: What kind of boat is this?

It does look like a one-off.. External chainplates are unusual on F/G production boats unless they are 'character' boats....

The shelter/coaming/dodger???? on the aft end of the cabin looks odd.... What is the transom shape?

bobperry 09-24-2012 06:11 PM

That is a very scary traveller base!
This boat has "backyard" written all over it.

L124C 09-28-2012 03:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 926115)
It does look like a one-off.. External chainplates are unusual on F/G production boats unless they are 'character' boats....

The shelter/coaming/dodger???? on the aft end of the cabin looks odd.... What is the transom shape?

Yeah...the only one that comes to mind with external chain plates is the Wet Snail 32.

What is a "character" Boat? does this qualify? I was told (by somebody who should know) that this "vessel" occupies the most expensive slip (end tie) in the marina, and that owner hadn't been down to even look at it for 5 years. Looks like a movie prop to me.

bobperry 09-28-2012 04:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
24C:
I'm not sure what a "character boat" is but I'd know one if I saw one. I think most character boats share a cartoonish, exagerated quality to them. I would call my own CT54, 56 and 65 designs character boats. I suppose you could even call the Baba 30 and similar boats I have designed character boats.
Still not exactly sure how to define it. Maybe its a state of mind.

SloopJonB 10-09-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 927705)
24C:
I'm not sure what a "character boat" is but I'd know one if I saw one. I think most character boats share a cartoonish, exagerated quality to them. I would call my own CT54, 56 and 65 designs character boats. I suppose you could even call the Baba 30 and similar boats I have designed character boats.
Still not exactly sure how to define it. Maybe its a state of mind.

I've always thought of character boats as those with styling cues from the last century but now that would mean IOR boats would be character boats. :)