SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lean and mean, or meaningless?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  rgscpat 
#1 ·
Check out this boat. Has to be around 60 feet long and I don't think the beam could be much over 10 feet. Somebody must have had a plan (must have had something to do with speed!), but I don't see any boats like this, so I'm guessing it wasn't a good one! Probably a bit tender, don't ya think?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Its my understanding that these started out as a one-off Transpac sled similar in concept to a Santa Cruz 60. But what to you do with a 65 foot mold once you built the race boat version....I know! Build a really cheap, strangely laid out competitor to the Hunter 54. (I actually sort of like the Hunter 54, which reportedly started out as a left over mold to one of Warren Luhrs' Ostar boats.) To me these are the kind of one trick ponies that drive me nuts. But then again, I know this one is just one of my prejudices.

Jeff

#6 ·
We have one around here near La Conner and then I see one up in Desolation
Sound for the past few summers. Things motor around at 8 to 9 knots.

#7 ·
There's at least a couple in BC.. one of which (Mc Fasttrack) has had a transom extension from original 65 to 70 feet. That boat has done at least one Vic Maui race, IIRC.

Probably the least expensive production "Maxi" every produced.

Incidentally, MacGregor also produced a 36 foot catamaran for a while...

#9 ·
I am actually wanting to buy a MacGregor 65, I would like to know as much is I can about them. It may be an illusion but I'm definitely interested in speed, anything anyone can tell me about this boat would be well appreciated because I am of the impression that a narrow boat is very fast, but performance is the most important thing. I understand the beam is 12 foot on the M. 65 Captg

#10 ·
Beam or ballast, If you can't hold up to the wind you're not going to make to windward. Personally ,I go for the beam.but any extreme has its pros and cons.Most boats around here are all ready motoring as I go to yankee and staysail and drive her.The spray and leeway is just part of the ambiance. ..15 ft on 40 ft deck. but self steering and not trying to race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.