Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Do YOU own a Cal 2-29?(Headroom question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
Hmmmmm, so I've found one for about $7000 CDN that is in OK shape. I went and had a look at it, but I'm realizing that my frame of reference on used boats isn't very good yet. I haven't done enough comparisons to know if what I'm looking at is what I should expect for that price. I keep running the advice that I heard about spending a little more for a boat that already has what I'm looking for, as opposed to trying to do all the fixer upping myself.

This particular boat seemed like it had been reasonably (not exceptionally) maintained, without much updating.
The pros: it is a Cal 2-29 with wheel steering, I really like the layout.
Inboard engine (Yanmar 18hp) runs, but is looking "old". Bilge under engine is filthy.
Interior in OK condition, cushions seem clean, no weird stains anywhere.

The cons: none of the thru hulls have been changed. They are the 1/4 turn type, but looking rough. The bilge does fill with some water coming from ??? if the bilge pump is not left in the "auto" position.
The sails (1 main + 3 headsails) are all looking pretty beat up, and the mainsail is actually from a Thunderbird 26 (measurements not 100% correct for Cal 29)
Bulkhead sliding door sticks and won't open beyond 1/2 way. I've heard this can be a warning of big problems.
Small leak through deck at starboard chainplate.
Salt crystals on back of most of the drawers. Can this occur from salt in the air over time, or is this a sign that the boat was submerged at some point?

Anyhow, this boat could be great someday, and seems the perfect size and layout for me and my family, but is it worth the work and $$$ ?
From your description, and particularly of the sails, it sounds like the seller was making do for quite some while and may not have had the where with all, or willingness, to maintain the yacht very well. Never-the-less, the yacht may have potential and I have a lot of comments and suggestions but as they are lengthy, I will send them to you via private message rather than consuming a lot of space here.
saltfree likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
cal 2-29