SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   Build from the inside out???? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/93429-build-inside-out.html)

deltaten 10-24-2012 11:40 AM

Build from the inside out????

I was wondering the other day...Yeah! I know that's dangerous ;)...if designers/builders ever built a sailboat inside-out? As in; configure the interior, AFA size, space,storage, headroom, sleeping quarters first and THEN designed the hull around it.
It *may* sound weird; but why not? I have specific needs/wants for an interior; as most of us do. Better to do a rough plan of that first and see what's available in production hulls before shopping; or do "we" simply accept what the manufacturer includes as close as we can get?

In line with that/those questions.....
Why don't builders/designers use a 'cubic foot of cabin space' designator like autos do? It would be nice to look at or sift thru a database of boats searching for cabins of a certain size available.

Just curious :D

deniseO30 10-24-2012 11:43 AM

Re: Build from the inside out????

build thee an ark.... actually they do.. they are called "house boats" :)

svHyLyte 10-24-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaten (Post 937948)
I was wondering the other day...Yeah! I know that's dangerous ;)...if designers/builders ever built a sailboat inside-out? As in; configure the interior, AFA size, space,storage, headroom, sleeping quarters first and THEN designed the hull around it.

What, you've never seen any of the newer Hunters.

Quote:

Why don't builders/designers use a 'cubic foot of cabin space' designator like autos do? It would be nice to look at or sift thru a database of boats searching for cabins of a certain size available.
A 1 foot diameter tube 100' long contains 78 cubic feet of "space". What does that tell you about livability?

deltaten 10-24-2012 12:32 PM

Only ever seen pix of HUnters; so I couldn't pass judgement!?!?

AFA the "tube"...Yes! Yer right.... Estimating room from pix and dimensions just doesn't equate to actually being there; but knowing those dimensions and seeing pix of a prospective boat, the CuVol would be a handy number for comparison,

I want one bigger on the inside than out!
;)

cb32863 10-24-2012 01:06 PM

From what I have heard about what the builders are showing as sailboats at the boat shows, they are doing just what you ask. Design the inside for all the comforts imaginable and place it inside a sailboat hull that now can't sail for crap.......

Faster 10-24-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb32863 (Post 937984)
......Design the inside for all the comforts imaginable and place it inside a sailboat hull that now can't sail for crap.......

I know what you're saying, but I do think that's a bit harsh if you're talking about some of the newest designs.. in fact I think many of them will sail quite fast, an ongoing debate is how safely or comfortably they'll do so in rough/oceangoing conditions.

For the 95% of we boaters who rarely venture far from sheltered waters, anchor every night and stay put in a forecast gale these floating condos probably do the job - and I suspect to some extent they are in fact built around some preconcieved 'needs' that the market must be saying they want.

MarkCK 10-24-2012 08:55 PM

For some reason I think we are veering off from the direction the original poster was going with this thread... Sailboat builders are going to build what their customers are asking for. If most new buyers want a big floating condo, then that's what they are going to build. And yes I do agree that most production builders figure out what kind of amenities people want on the interior and then design the boat around them.

SimonV 10-25-2012 07:49 AM

I am sure they do already, Have you ever tried to remove a major item from inside the boat. My stove wont get out unless I break it down.