Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By downeast450
  • 1 Post By castorp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Oops!

Last edited by downeast450; 12-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: "....Your boat is sinking, call the harbor master!"

Nice story! It is always best if a boat will choose it's own name.

A reminder that moorings and even slips are not entirely safe.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post

Circumstances named my other boat, Tundra Down, too. That is another story.

Down
Ok, I'll bite. Care to share that story too?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2012
Tundra Down

CalebD,

Perhaps in another post. Boat names should have stories. It is also important they are easily identifiable. A name should be clearly heard and recognized on the radio. It is important they be unique if possible to avoid confusion. "Drinking Bird" should meet the standard. "Tundra Down" does, too. Our Rhodes 22, a long time on the hard at the farm, is "Sea Mouse". A name I gave to my first boat when I was a kid living on the estuary of the Croton River in your neck of the woods.

On a kids adventure a friend and I took the original "Sea Mouse" a 12 foot Duratech, up the Hudson River, from Croton, to Lake George for Labor day weekend. It sounds crazy today. We hired a pickup to take us from the head of navigation in Glenns Falls and launch us in Lake George Village. A campsite on one of the islands was our retreat for the week. We were 12 and 13. When we approached the Troy lock at about 10 pm it was empty and open. My friend walked up to the lock keeper's office and asked permission for the "Sea Mouse" to lock through. With little thought it was given and I proceeded to motor into the empty lock. Alone! The keeper was a bit surprised but closed the lock's doors and I "climbed the ladder" as the water boiled in. The inside of the lock was quite rough and grabbed at the gunnel a couple of times. Exciting stuff for a 12 year old. We locked through successfully and spent the night in a barn along the canal. I am guessing it is the smallest craft to ever transit that federal lock alone. The name is what cleared our passage don't you think?

We are getting off topic for this thread.

Down
castorp likes this.

Last edited by downeast450; 01-22-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: content
Old 11-30-2012
Tartan 27' owner

DownE,
Is this what the original 'Sea Mouse' looked like?
1958 12' Duratech V-Hull Aluminum Boat
A boat like that could get under the railroad bridge at the mouth of the Croton River at low tide. I'm not sure how you would navigate the New Croton Dam though.
That was quite a voyage for a pair of almost teens.

I am also a fan of unusual boat names. Agreed that the 'name' should be easily pronounced and identifiable. Some boat names make me wonder if their owner's have much of an imagination.

Our old Tartan 27' came with her moniker 'Odalisque' so I can't claim to have picked the name. Students of classical painting would know that there are several famous paintings of Odalisque's by various painters: odalisques
While an odalisque is a member of a harem she is not necessarily a concubine:
It seemed appropriate to me that two happily married men would be sharing a boat named 'Odalisque' provided our wives did not object, and they haven't so far.
There are a few other boats named 'Odalisque' out there but not as many as there are 'Aquahaulic'.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-30-2012
Tundra Down

CalebD,

That was my boat. A blue deck and a bench seat back, no windshield. A great boat. It was stolen from my dock on Halfway Creek in Everglades City, FL in the 60's. It got around.

My home was just upstream of the Manor House. That was when the old RT. 9 bridge was there. Getting under the rr bridge was not a problem. A great place and time to grow up! Lucky me.

Duratech had its bench seats filled with a solid block of Styrofoam that was exposed to the air but suspended out of the bilge, under the seat. The same way Starcraft installs its floatation in their small open boats.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 12-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Boat names should have stories. It is also important they are easily identifiable. A name should be clearly heard and recognized on the radio. It is important they be unique if possible to avoid confusion.
One of my old boats was Named FRED. Apparently the original owners wife got fed up with his expensive habit of attending the World Championships in Sweden, France & Texas and referred to the boat as a F**king Ridiculously Expensive Diversion.

Needless to say, I kept the name.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-05-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

South
Lake
Union
Trolley

Or as the caps say, "SLUT" for short!

Marty
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

castorp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On a kids adventure a friend and I took the original "Sea Mouse" a 12 foot Duratech, up the Hudson River to Lake George for Labor day weekend. It sounds crazy today. We hired a pickup to take us from the head of navigation in Glenns Falls and launch us in Lake George Village. A campsite on one of the islands was our retreat for the week. We were 12 and 13. When we approached the Troy lock at about 10 pm it was empty and open. My friend walked up to the lock keeper's office and asked permission for the "Sea Mouse" to lock through. With little thought it was given and I proceeded to motor into the empty lock. Alone! The keeper was a bit surprised but closed the lock's doors and I "climbed the ladder" as the water boiled in. The inside of the lock was quite rough and grabbed at the gunnel a couple of times. Exciting stuff for a 12 year old. We locked through successfully and spent the night in a barn along the canal. I am guessing it is the smallest craft to ever transit that federal lock alone. The name is what cleared our passage don't you think?
I love this story! Many thanks for sharing!!
downeast450 likes this.