Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012

MaxHammer is on a distinguished road
I would kill for flexible sander!!Argh...

Im building 72 foot long yacht and I would love to know, if there is any flexible electric sanders, that can sand large curved area. Are there any? Or do I live in land of dreams?

Last edited by Faster; 12-14-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: moved as appropriate and cleaned up..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: I would kill for flexible sander!!Argh...

72 feet??? wood or glass? Are you on the wooden boat forums? Are you looking at hand held belt sanders but they are too small? Long board sanders are made.

jrd22 likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2012

Capnblu is on a distinguished road

What purpose do you need the sander for Max? Wood, or?

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

People usually make their own sanding boards for hulls that big. Quarter inch plywood with a handle at each end, and sandpaper glued to the flat side. Four foot lengths might be a bit much for one person to handle; two or three foot lengths might be more manageable. Two guys could work together with an 8'x6" sanding board, and should be able to fair a good bit of planking in a couple of hours. Just make sure the guy calling the curve can see straight, and that the other guy knows who's in charge.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 12-14-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

even I have one of these! Stanely #113 only used it a few times but a pretty handy tool for an antique! It does convex and concave curves.

my current "project"!
Old 12-15-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Denise has some cool tools :envy:
I'ma fool for old planes, too! Spoke shaves and beaders are a fav here
Old 12-15-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Thanks! wish my son were here and we did get that small boat building biz going some 10 yrs ago.... Oh well.
MaxHammer likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 12-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The guy who built my first hull was doing a huge 65' one off (Markos and the Maple Leaf 65 for you locals). He had built himself a jumbo sized "stroke" sander to fair up the hull. It was just a huge longboard on a powered crank mechanism that replaced the three guys required for a normal longboard.
MaxHammer likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-17-2012

MaxHammer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: I would kill for flexible sander!!Argh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
72 feet??? wood or glass? Are you on the wooden boat forums? Are you looking at hand held belt sanders but they are too small? Long board sanders are made.

[IMG][/IMG]
Fiberglass! Sorry I was not clear enough there! Sorry I am noob on the forums and I presume that everyone see into my head lol.

Thanks for your posts about the hand sanders! I will check them and see what I can dig out about them.

I post similar posts on msot of the forums. I am trying to gather some experience about sanders (be it hand tools or power tools) and see where it can lead me. As far as power tools go. I was checking Huthins and their marine sanders. Looks cool so far, but there are other candidates too I am looking at.
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

In my experience, the ONLY way to get a really fair surface on a large sailboat hull is to use a LONG longboard of some kind - one that requires three people to handle it, or some sort of powered version like I mentioned earlier.

I've seen air files like in post #2 used and they don't work well - the bearing surface is too small. The most effective one man tool I've seen is a large variable speed disc sander/polisher with a soft foam pad but even they don't do well when the panels get large.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.