Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Brent?
Polars?

That I have to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brent?
Polars?

That I have to see.
maybe Polar bears that hes killed with his mixed marital whatever.
Old 07-05-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have never claimed that fibrglass boats are useless. They are a huge improvemnt over wood, and fibreglass boats are extremely cheap the older ones far better built than the newer, far more expensive ones. They are often far cheaper than any steel boat you could build . All my clients know that. I tell them that. They just dont want a plastic boat in which you have to worry about running into things in the night . They just dont want the flimsy bolted down deck fittings and resultant leaks of a plastic boat. They dont want the condensation and difficulty of heating a plastic boat. Many have owned plastic boats and are upgrading to steel.
Bob , when I asked you how much ocean cruising you had done before first calling yourself a designer of cruising boats, or since ,if you had done any, you would have been declaring it loudly. No response means NONE! Dito how many boats you have built.
When I asked you and Smackdaddy what inovations you have made to help wanabe cruisers overcome the two biggest hurdles to their sucess, time and money, if you had any, you would have been declaring them loudly.No response means NONE!
You did say you start by screwing them out of several decades worth of cruising funds, right off the bat.
There have been some interesting claims made in this thread. When I pointed out that a 303 British will shoot thru 23 inches of douglas fir, but will barley make it thru 3/8th inch steel plate you back up the claim that creative accounting, Bernie Made- off style, will make wood stronger, then realizing your arguments are foolish, you childishly warp the discussion into something about shooting trees and boats.
When someone claims that, while a steel boat has survived 16 days of pounding in surf on a Baja lee shore, another pounding across 300 yards of Fijian coral, with no serious damage, in conditions which would have broken up a wooden boat in minutes, you back up the contention that wooden boats are stronger, or can be made so by creative accounting , Bernie made-off style. When you are challenged on that, you revert to your childish adolescent response of talking about shooting trees and boats again.
With such adolescent childishness, your arguments are about as credible as those made by your hero, Bernie made-off.
Avoiding and sabotaging serious discusion of such matters is dishonest, in effect, you are a liar.
When I send a set of plans and book off, I have no idea who is building and who is not unless they send me photos , along with questions, that they dont means I have done a good job of explaining things in my book and plans.
You may find photos of the dutch BS boats on the origami boats site.
Bob, When are you going to grow up?

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-06-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have never claimed that fibrglass boats are useless.

They are often far cheaper than any steel boat you could build .

When I asked you and Smackdaddy what inovations you have made to help wanabe cruisers overcome the two biggest hurdles to their sucess, time and money, if you had any, you would have been declaring them loudly.No response means NONE!
Actually, Brent, I think I've provided a fairly loud and much repeated declaration for that wannabe in this very thread:

If you, Good Wannabe, want to overcome the hurdles to your cruising success, saving a tremendous amount of time and money: do not build one of Brent Swain's steel boats. A used fiberglass boat is far superior.

I'm glad you agree with my helpful innovation.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-05-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Actually, Brent, I think I've provided a fairly loud and much repeated declaration for that wannabe in this very thread:

If you, Good Wannabe, want to overcome the hurdles to your cruising success, saving a tremendous amount of time and money: do not build one of Brent Swain's steel boats. A used fiberglass boat is far superior.

I'm glad you agree with my helpful innovation.
Bear in mind that this is advice from someone who has never built a boat never cruised offshore, never lived aboard in a cold climate, and never got off the treadmill, but who has stated that it is immoral for anyone to be allowed to do so (on cruising.stuffiminto.com) who's intention is to throw roadblocks in your way should you try. Its kinda like an illiterate hillbilly giving advice on rocket science.
You can judge the quality of advice from what it has done for the person offering it.
So tell us Smack, how much offshore cruising ,full time, have you done. None? I thought so!
Old 07-06-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Brent MMA?,Chuck Norris?.Thats about as hillbilly as it gets.Youd have to throw in Nascar and wrestling to top it off.And for f**ks sake you havent inovated a god damm thing.Writers to numorous to mention have advocated doing it your self and making your own fittings for decades.Moitessier wrote it all in the late '60's.And offshore cruising has been done so much its a cliche'.I saw an Alberg 35 today that has just completed a long circumnavigation.It was done by 2 little old ladies,They are now in there 70's and they are getting the boat ready to go out again.It isnt like we were all born yesterday and you are dispensing some unheard wisdom.Nothing you have said or done is even remotely original.The Silas Crosby blog is great.Ive enjoyed for several years now but a blind man on a galloping horse could tell you he spent alot of cash to get his boat the way it is. My god the main even has battens.Its funny to you keep bringing up Jimmy Cornell,What he advocates is about as polar opposite to your aproach
as is possible.A used Ovni 41 is going for $244,000 on yachtworld.Steve Dashew is building economy cruisers for the people I guess.Brent enjoy your life you are lucky. I have to work to have the basics and I have no health care. I dont pay my rent, Im on the street.You arent some working class hero with a vision here to save us.Give me a break.
Old 07-06-2013
grumpy old man

Sorry Brent. The reference to karate was intended as a joke. Just a joke to offset your suggestion that we go shoot our boats and it slid right by you. I'll aim lower next time. Thanks for all the Googled info on mixed marital arts. I don't think I'm cut out for that. I'm happily married. You sound very bitter and angry.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 07-06-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2013

GBurton is on a distinguished road

This is a very revealing thread. How sad.
Old 07-06-2013
grumpy old man

This is happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-violet-watches-grampy-hoot-s.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'll aim lower next time.
Haven't you kicked him in the nuts enough already?

Quote:
I'm happily married. You sound very bitter and angry.
It appears to be an example of something I commented on elsewhere - men and women who live without each other tend to become narrow and eccentric. We need each other to achieve balance in our lives.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.