Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Joms:
Jeff did the interior in several iterations until he had it the way he wanted it. Then he did a deck plan. Not sure if he ever posted the deck plan. Maybe he should post it again. We can argue for a month over deck layouts.
Ooops sorry - Gotta read through all of it Again.

/Joms
Old 07-08-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Bob. I was on a passport 47 last nite. Nice boat. Roomy side decks, and practical deck layout. He bought it for less than the cost of her last recent upgrade, making the basic boat free.
With deals like that around, are you retired yet? The skipper, seeing how the bottom has fallen out of the stock boat market ,didnt believe anyone was still paying for new designs .

This reminds me of the email Clive sent me called " A retirees job interview"

What do you consider your greatest weakness?
Honesty.
I dont think honesty is a weakness.
I dont give a s**t what you think.
Old 07-08-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
What a great looking cutter! That's more like it.
I'd like to see this thread continue as a place where we celebrate diversity in design and the diversity in which we all enjoy sailing. This "right" and "wrong" stuff is tiresome. I'll take a good share of the blame for that climate here. But now maybe we can get it back on track. I will endeavor to behave in the future.

There's a thread on CA called "Cool boats" where we post pics of boats we admire. Then we have discussions about the features of the boats. The boats range from 8' prams to mega yachts. It's fun and educational and there is no end to cool boats out there.
Heres L. Francis Herreshoff's Walrus swordfishing.
JomsViking likes this.

Last edited by jak3b; 07-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
Heres L. Francis Herreshoff's swordfishing.History: Sword Fishing South of Martha's Vineyard - YouTube
I think that these boats are just fantastic, and with a few modifications the design would be an excellent world cruiser. Durable, stable, and able to ride out rough weather and come through it well. It does not need to be covered in chrome or shiny white plastic to be beautiful, just some paint and varnish, and a simple design will do for me.
Old 07-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

BS:
I have four nice new designs going now. One being built at PSC in N. Carolina and well documented here, one in Hadlock, WA and very well documented here, one for a Norwegian client, documented here, with plans out for bid and one for a Seattle client which he will build himself So, no, I am not retired, just taking it easy and doing the work I enjoy.

If you want verification of the design projects I can provide very current photos but many have already been posted on SailNet.

You have yet to proivide any evidence that I lied. I need the actual quote not more made up BS from BS.

And, if you don't give a s%^t what I think why do you react so predictably to what I think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-08-2013
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
It's not just the Titanic either (which curiously you criticize for not having watertight bulkheads and yet you say they are pointless in another post).
The Titanic had plenty of watertight bulkheads - it could survive having four compartments flooding - unfortunately the glancing blow from the iceberg opened up five compartments.

BTW, while Brent Swain's boats might not sail fast enough to cause a hole to be ripped open when hitting something, a blow from a passing ship or fishing vessel could could create sufficient damage.
Old 07-08-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I have to read in this thread a lot get back up to speed. I have been on the water so my time is in short supply Still looking at the fin vs full keel
The Titanic was not water tight the top of the bulkheads were open.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 07-08-2013
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
I have to read in this thread a lot get back up to speed. I have been on the water so my time is in short supply Still looking at the fin vs full keel
The Titanic was not water tight the top of the bulkheads were open.
Kind Regards, Lou
THe Titanic was designed such that as long as *only* four compartments were flooded the height of the watertight bulkheads would be sufficient. But with five flooded.......
Old 07-08-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Kind of off topic but still water tight is water tight not over flow. If I broach and roll 360 I expect a water tight bulkhead to hold the water in that water tight compartment not let it spill out over or under depending on what is up the keel or the mast. It will be unlikely for me to do in the puddle I sail in. So many things must add up to make final outcome the bulkheads were only a small figure but they added to the danger.
Regards , Lou
Old 07-08-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Absolutely right - Titanic didn't have watertight bulkheads, it had the hull divided into a series of open topped tanks. Once the ship was nose down enough for the front tank top to be below water it was all over - they just spilled sequentially over the top.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.