Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Hello:
Back to reality again..............
I recently tank tested a new design. We tested two models. Cost of each model was $9,000. A new 3D modelling "printer" could not produce the 7" long models we needed for accuracy. Big models tank test best. The total cost of the entire tank testing proceedure, including models was over $50,000. This is not within the budget of most small design office design fees. But it sure is fun and instructive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Okay. Best thread ever.

And that is one hell of a camper shell for my pickup:

jorgenl likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

bob-
Reality is a subjective and constantly changing concept.

Try Rapid Prototyping, Advance Digital Manufacturing, 3D Printing, 3-D CAD | www.3dsystems.com for 3D printers that run up to something like 21x15x12" and remember, this whole field is breeding faster than rabbits and generating new equipment and lower prices every week. There are also many service bureaus that will print your prototypes for you, so you don't have to buy cow to get the cream.

A 7" model? Plenty of options, the biggest problem would be just finding someone who knows what is available in such a rapidly changing industry. At fifty grand a shot for conventional models, I would think there's time to "make haste slowly".

I'm not presuming to know what works best for your business, just saying there are new tools that have been flying below most radars.
Old 04-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

That rapid prototyping is amazing stuff. I first heard about it in relation to engine parts by the big auto manufacturers a few years ago. Watching a model of a cylinder head "appear" in a tank of resin is as close to magic as it's possible to get

Does anyone here know how the laser beam "terminates" at the correct spot within the tank of resin?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-26-2013
grumpy old man

Hello:
Opps! I hope you guys have figured out by now that the quality of my spelling is only surpassed by the quality of my two fingered typing.

That was suppoosed to 7', seven feet, 84" not 7". We need a big model.
Does your tool spit out a 7' model? Remember that's for a 42'er.
"Maybe some day soon" doesn't work well for me today.

Smackers:
We can build you a camper top any time you like.
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dunno, Bob. I didn't go looking for 7 foot models but that might just mean four two by two sections and some crazy glue. Or a 2x2 foot model, with a seven foot rise. 54" wide inkjet printers didn't happen in the first year, either, but they're easy enough to find now.

JonB-
AFAIK the laser beam is "focused" the same way that a beam is focused to read the pits on a CD while ignoring any dirt on the outer plastic. And the cured material blocks the beam. There is a discrete range or radius of how much material is cured/melted by a beam so each machine, each technology, accomodates a different number of angels that can be dancing on a pin.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 04-26-2013
grumpy old man

Hello:
Now we use CNC programs to carve the mold we need for the big model. I have a CNC half model on my wall. When the day comes that they make a 3D printer the size I need I will certainly consider using it.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-26-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hello:
Jeff:
I have so many stability plots for my new 60' ketch that I have lost count of them. I do this all the time and as I have said I use stability studies to evaluate keel configs and draft options. I am not blind to this stuff. I have been using computer stability studies for the past 35 years. I still have some that were printed out on that wide, greenish , striped paper with the holes running down each edge. It puzzles me that some of you respond like I am just beginning to figure this out.

I suggest a better breakfast.
I apologize if my comments sounded as if I was implying that you were just figuring this out. I know way better than that.

What I was responding to was your comments about S&S and Phillip Rhodes not doing stability curves. I was trying to put a layperson's perspective on your comment by saying that as designers are moving away from accepted design norms tools like stability curves are helpful in trying to develop a thumbnail understanding of the characteristics of those explorations.

Back in the hand drafting, planimeter and balancing cut-outs on a divider days, I worked on an 'inclining calculation' for Charlie Wittholz. That single angle measurement assumed that the boat rotated about the crossing of the drawn waterline and the centerline and that longitudinal trim did not change. I can understand why they would not do many of those and would have little faith in them when they did....

But at the heart of it, guys like Olin Stephens and Phillip Rhodes did not venture very far from what they knew how to do well, and like you, could eyeball a boat and know she'd stay right side up, or would return to right side up when she was over turned.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2013
grumpy old man

Jeff: I think that was well said and accurate. I look at stability curves today because they are easy to get. But I can almost always predict what they will say very accurately.
When I do rely on a stability study is when I do a boat like my "container cruiser", something "out of the box" Oh I'm so funny. I kill myself. Or maybe a very light and beamy boat like STEALTH CHICKEN or FOXFIRE. When you work on the edges it's nice to know just how close to the edge you are.

Still I am dubious as to how accurate a 2D stability study can be given the dynamic 3D world the boat lives in at sea. I have an idea, let's take the boat behind the breakwater on a calm day and tip it over and see what happens. What the hell is that worth? But they do it. The alternative is not really practical. That said, I love to watch those tests.
Brent Swain likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 04-26-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

As I pointed out in a previous post, one can get a pretty good idea of a boats ultimate stability by simply looking at it .If the midships section bears a closer resemblance to a beach ball, well rounded (( trunk cabin with a high camber on top, a whelhouse with lots of buoyancy in it) then it will have high ultimate stability. If it looks more like a raft (exessive beam, flush deck with not much in the way of buoyant deck structures) then it will have poor ultimate stabiliy. This is before you do any calculating.
Older boats, which Bob mentioned, had no problem with righting themselves in a rollover , before boats became excessively wide and shallow, with flush decks. How about posting the stability curves of some of those deep narrow boats here?
Anyone who believes they can live aboard and cruise full time, without storage ashore, with the amount of gear that takes, and still have a light boat, is self delusional.