Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

After sailing on a fast trimaran the idea of sailing fast on a monohull seemed silly.I prefer monohulls for cruising and living aboard though.If you are sailing across an ocean what difference does it make if your getting a quarter extra knot?.Ah yes, it could mean days of passage time.Then why go to sea?.Fly there and charter a boat for your vacation.Much much faster and you dont have to take care of the boat when you are done.
Brent Swain likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I don't recall ever designing a 28' aluminum boat. I'd sure like to see it.
Let's be real here.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-crockpot.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 05-30-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Some people are convinced the only way to go is with a masthead jib while others like a cutter. If you are talking about the best choice for racing applications a single jib might be best....from a cruising perspective a cutter rig has it's advantages. The way my boat is rigged I can sail with a 2/3 fractional or disconnect the headstay at the stem and sail as a mast head rig or reconnect the head stay parallel to the topmast stay and sail as a cutter, I have options. On top of that my roller furl is "foil-less" so I can use any hank-less jib with wire or similar luff (yeah I know the luff isn't quite as perfect as would be found on a racing sail but....)

Last edited by wolfenzee; 05-30-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Wolfie, is there any reason your running backs don't terminate at the peak of your inner stay as is usual?? Just doesn't seem all that efficient to me..
Old 05-30-2013
grumpy old man

Wolf:
I would hope you don't think I don't appreciate or understand the cutter rig. Some on this site may not like cutters but I am not among them.

Would you like me to list the cruising cutters I have designed? Here are just some of the production model cutters I have designed. This week NIGHT RUNNER is receiving some attention after winning two out of the last three Swiftsure Races overall and NR was designed as a cruising cutter. Unfortunately it also wins races. I'll take only partial blame for that.
Valiant 40, 32, 47, 42, 39, 50
Tayana 37, 52, 47
Hans Christian 34
Lafitte 44
Norseman 44'
Cheoy Lee 44, 48'
Baba 30, 40
Tashiba 31, 36
Passport 47, 48,50,
Royal Passport (different design/same company) 47, 48, 50

I've been pushing the cutter rig for offshore cruising boats for years. It seems weird to think somone would think I am anti cutter or in need of education as to why the cutter rig works for cruising.

You might be interested in knowing that under the British RORC Rule that was used in Europe when the CCA rule was used in the US, cutters were the norm for the very most cuttting edge (no pun intended) racing yachts. But this was more of a rule artifact than it was a quest for performance. Still they did have some might fine racing cutters in the UK in the early and mid '60's.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-30-2013
grumpy old man

Hart:
"The peak of your inner stay"?
We call that location the "hounds". Don't you love it. It's so esoteric.
"The runners should go to the hounds."
Arrgghhhhh matey.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
A friend with one of my 36 footers raced on a Beneteau. He said going forward on the decks was like runing an obstackle course, it was small and cluttered. He said if you left the helm for a second, it would instanly go off course. My 36 tracks like she is on rails.
My last trip south, leaving BC, I was south of Hawaii in 14 days. My best days run was 175 miles in 24 hours, in a heavily loaded 31 footer. I made two trips from Hawaiii to BC in 23 days, mostly to windward in a heavily loaded 31 footer, lived aboard for decades. Last time I left Tonga at the same time as a 28 ft aluminiun Bob Perry design. I took 57 days to BC, he took 99 days. You wouldn't do much better in any heavily loaded 31 footer, with all that the owner owns aboard.
I saw a Beneteau hauled out, with 38 flimsy plastic thru hulls, which you could easily break out with a light kick, leaving an inch and a half hole in the boat, mostly below the waterline. Mine use welded in stainless pipe nipples . Beneteaus dont have any back up plates undee their stanchions. Mine are welded in, sch 40 pipe, 34 inches off the decks.
My boats dont rust out, as long as they follow the directions I give them. If they dont, then that is not my fault. Most don't tie to docks, one is enroute from Cape horn to the Aleutians, several are finishing circumnavigations and several are leisurely cruising Mexico and the South Pacific, while others are cruising full time in BC waters, unlike the expensive plastic boats ,which leave their owners so broke that they have to tie the boat to a dock and spend years earning the money to pay for them. Do they sail faster? Not if you include the time peope spend working to pay for them, then pay the moorage, insurance, repairs, sails maintenance etc. while the guy in the more affordable Brentboat is out cruising and making miles. The guy in the so called "fast boat" will never sail enough miles to make up for the time he has wasted at the dock..
If I spend the cost of a new mainsail, and it forces me to put off sailing for the winter, and the head start the difference would have given me, will I end up having covered more gound than if I had bought the slower used sail, and got a years head start? Not a chance!
One 36, cruising in company with a 35 ft Beneteau, leaving port at the same time, was always arriving at his destination way ahead of the Benny, despite being heavily loaded.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I arrived in Auckland with a battened mainsail, falling apart around the batten pockets.. Getting rid of the battens let me sail another 3,000 miles, in squally conditions , without popping a stitch. And you say I could have done the same without doing a thing to the falling apart sail, or eliminating that which was causing it to fall apart?
Ya, sure!
With this post, I think you have finally succeeded in losing all credibility.
JomsViking likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hart:
"The peak of your inner stay"?
We call that location the "hounds". Don't you love it. It's so esoteric.
"The runners should go to the hounds."
Arrgghhhhh matey.
Doh!... I knew that.

"The runners should go to the hounds." Makes perfect sense.. if I only knew where the foxes were!!
Old 05-30-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I take it you mean the intermediates....They actually terminate 2' above where the intermediates and head stay terminate, which is actually lower than where it was originally (though originally there was no backstay or cap shrouds). The base of the intermediates is several feet back from the mast forming a fairly steady tripod on it's own. The original purpose of the running backs on this boat was in lew of a fixed backstay. The running backs serve two purposes, one to keep the mast from "pumping" and two to reinforce the fixed backstay by providing a better angle.
Old 05-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
With this post, I think you have finally succeeded in losing all credibility.
..and just when his posts were starting to sound reasonable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.