Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

"The aluminim 28 footer was a boat called Carmela which I was told was a Perry design. It is somewhere in Victoria, I don't know exactly were."

It doesn't matter that you don't know where it is. What matters is that it's not my design.

Once again:
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-crockpot.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
With this post, I think you have finally succeeded in losing all credibility.
People with no offshore cruising experience, who choose somethign as flimsy and badly balanced as a Catalina 27, dont have much in the way of credibility, when discussing offshore cruising boats.
So Smackdaddy, give us a rundown on the number of offshore passages you have made, in a boat you have designed and built with your own hands, and the number of steel boats you have built or maintained over several decades, so we can judge your credibuility on that basis..
The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Swain For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013
grumpy old man

"I'm not saying mine is the right design for someone who wants to throw away a lot of money for an inferior product. In fact is is definitely the wrong boat for someone who wants to do that." Brent Swain

This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings from Steve Martin:
" Some people have a way with words. Other people not have way."

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-31-2013
grumpy old man

Just a gol'darn minute here.
I owned a Catalina 27. It was a fine boat, fast and well balanced. Just because you can't balance a Cat 27 don't blame the boat Brent. Is it an offshore boat? Of course not you ninny. It ws never intended as anoffshore boat. Look at the companionway.

How many Cat 27's have you sailed Brent?
How many Cat 27's have you owned Brent?
How many fiberglass boats have you built?

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 05-31-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
There was once a bricklayer from Baltimore
who did a solo circumnavigation in his Baba 30....
...but his boat was not steel, so he did not feel
like Brent Swain doing The Dirty.

Next.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When one of my 36 footers, the first one I built, pounded for 16 days in 8 to 12 ft surf on the west coast of the Baja for 16 days and was pulled off thru 8 to 12 ft surf,with no significant dammage, I know it is stronger than a fibreglass boat ,which would have broken up in the first few hours.

When she T-boned a CBC barge in front of gramas pub in Gibsons at hull speed, with zero damage, I know she is strong.

When one pounded across 300 yards of Fijian coral reef in big surf ,then was puled back across the same reef with zero damage, then later collided with a freighter in Gibralter with no significant damage, I know it is strong.
Honestly, all the above tells me is one of two things:

1. The people that buy/build your boats seriously suck at sailing and shouldn't be behind the wheel of any boat.
2. The people that buy/build your boats might be very good sailors but end up with a boat they can't sail out of trouble.

Which is it?

Old 05-31-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
People with no offshore cruising experience, who choose somethign as flimsy and badly balanced as a Catalina 27, dont have much in the way of credibility, when discussing offshore cruising boats.
So Smackdaddy, give us a rundown on the number of offshore passages you have made, in a boat you have designed and built with your own hands, and the number of steel boats you have built or maintained over several decades, so we can judge your credibuility on that basis..
I actually loved that C27. No way I would have taken it off-shore, but it was a fantastic boat to sail. Strong, fast, once outpointed a Bene First in a race (no joke), and was really fun to sail.

As for my off-shore experience, I only have maybe 1500 miles of off-shore racing and returns (on a Pearson 365 and on a Pacific Seacraft 37) - absolutely none in a boat I've built with my own hands, and absolutely none in a steel boat.

But I AM a very informed customer. So that actually makes me an expert if you think about it. I'm the audience you're preaching to.

As an informed customer, if you could bring yourself to just talk about your boats without all the "Anything Else is Crap for Sheeple" hyperbole, I could throw you a credibility bone (and actually have in the past).

That said, you should completely ignore me and answer the guys above that actually know. If you can convince them - you certainly don't need to convince the likes of me.

I like you Brent. Just be real.

Old 05-31-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not saying mine is the right design for someone who wants to throw away a lot of money for an inferior product. In fact is is definitely the wrong boat for someone who wants to do that.
Brent,

Many (most?) of us here at SailNet like and respect you, but with all due respect, you are your own worst marketing agent. Your recent posts remind me of Craig Smith of Rocna fame. There was nothing at all wrong with the original Rocnas but after hearing CS spam the interwebs with his one-sided "my product is superior in all aspects" marketing I swore never to buy his anchor.

Anyone want to go back to discussing Wolf's boat? I'd even prefer to argue about batten longevity vs. cost at this point....

MedSailor

PS It's the construction not the material that makes a boat strong. I hit a 30ft x 10" diameter log square on at 7kts this weekend. It rolled under my hull and surfaced 50ft behind me. No damage to my "plastic" boat.
aeventyr60 likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-31-2013
grumpy old man

Hey Smackers!
We are Cat 27 bros!
So, we got that going for us. Which is good.

When I met my wife I had a Cat 27. I took it on trade for a half tonner of my design. I taught her to sail on that boat. It was a sprightly boat that did very well in the fluky airs of the PNW. In our area they compiled quite an enviable race record when they were new.

Med:
You mean you broke a log? Shame on you. That was not very green.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-31-2013
grumpy old man

We must be among the world's most boring people:

"A discussion about battens? Wait for me!"
"Good night dear, I'll be late to bed tonight."
"We are having a discussion about battens over on SailNet."
"Could you put some coffee on before you turn in? I'll be here a while."
MedSailor likes this.

Bob's Blog ....