Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
On the subject of wood sticks, I have a question for the woodies. As spruce is more rot prone than fir,and the hollow wood spar invites rot to a high degree, perhaps we should consider how they prevented rot in old sailing ships, by putting in salt shelves between the frames and dumping salt in, to sit on the shelves and slowly pickle into the wood, Would it not be a good idea to glue three sides of a box section mast together, then dump a lot of salt in before gluing it up? Perhaps it is a good time to try an experiment, by soaking a couple of pieces of spruce in strong salt brine , drying it out, then gluing it, to see if the salt affects the strength of the glue line? Any thoughts from the wood experts?
Not sure about pickling with salt, but what about penetrating epoxy....though a spar maker actually suggested resourcenol was a better adhesive to use than epoxy because it held up better to flexing.
As I pointed out earlier my mast is laminated (glued with resourcenol)and solid, the sheaves are actually cheek blocks on the outside of the mast (the one lower down is a loose block attached to a pad eye. The mast step is a square hole cut in the cabin sole sitting on top of a floor (with an opening on the side so if any water gets into the mast step it will drain into the bilge. Most sites of mast rot have been avoided where possible, my 40 year old mast is quite sound.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Hartley,

Whenever I think about the Folkboat, this story always comes to mind. .....
Quote:
Hartley,

You asked about how 'Indian' sailed. A little over a year ago, someone was thinking of buying the old girl from her then current owner and he wrote to me about her. Here is the write up on her that I wrote for him. It tells the whole story.
Thanks, Jeff - a great read and I do appreciate you posting it. Sailing my old girl, I can completely relate to what you wrote and could not have said it better myself:

Quote:
I fear this all sounds way more negative than my true feelings about this boat. Perhaps I can say it this way, sailing old designs like this is a different aesthetic that simply sailing for sailing sake. It is a different pace and a different skill set than you would expect sailing newer designs, which frankly are far better sailing boats in all quantifiable ways. But sailing old boats pull at your heart in ways no new boat can, and requires a different set of sailing skills which are challenging enough to be interesting even if you are not going very fast.
True indeed!!
Old 06-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
As I pointed out earlier my mast is laminated (glued with resourcenol)and solid, the sheaves are actually cheek blocks on the outside of the mast (the one lower down is a loose block attached to a pad eye. The mast step is a square hole cut in the cabin sole sitting on top of a floor (with an opening on the side so if any water gets into the mast step it will drain into the bilge. Most sites of mast rot have been avoided where possible, my 40 year old mast is quite sound.
Wolfie, I'd like to hope that, if you look closely, you'll find the mast step spanning a couple of floors at least. One floor can't possibly be expected to take the compression load of a stayed mast heading to windward in a blow..
Old 06-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
On the subject of wood sticks, I have a question for the woodies. As spruce is more rot prone than fir,and the hollow wood spar invites rot to a high degree, perhaps we should consider how they prevented rot in old sailing ships, by putting in salt shelves between the frames and dumping salt in, to sit on the shelves and slowly pickle into the wood, Would it not be a good idea to glue three sides of a box section mast together, then dump a lot of salt in before gluing it up? Perhaps it is a good time to try an experiment, by soaking a couple of pieces of spruce in strong salt brine , drying it out, then gluing it, to see if the salt affects the strength of the glue line? Any thoughts from the wood experts?
Brent, as you'd know, as well as being a bit alkaline, salt attracts moisture and essentially stays permanently damp - not a problem in a wet bilge, but a big problem in the base of a vertical structure constantly exposed to the heat of the sun.

FWIW, I'm fairly sure salt would affect the adhesion of whatever glue you chose to use (chemically) a lot more than simply soaking the timber in a patent rot preventative and gluing up as normal.
Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Wolfie, I'd like to hope that, if you look closely, you'll find the mast step spanning a couple of floors at least. One floor can't possibly be expected to take the compression load of a stayed mast heading to windward in a blow..
At the base the mast is octagonal, about 6" in dia, with a square piece on the very bottom about 1 1/4" * 1 1/4" this goes through a portion of cabin sole that is solid wood about 1 1/8" thick (the rest of the cabin sole is 3/4" ply) spanning at least 4 floors (each of which are 2" thick by 4" high, maybe 17" wide at 12" centers, leaving little room for storage of anything taller than a soup can in the bilge)..... right below it is a floor with the edge of the hole set so water will drain into the bilge instead of collecting...sorry for the misunderstanding.
Classic30 likes this.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-06-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Holy Cow! I'm 67 years old this month and I still haven't sailed a Folkboat. I know a gal, Carol Hassey, who has one. Maybe if I asked her she'd take me for a sail. Can't see kickin' off and never having sailed a Folkboat.

I can see my tombstone:
Here lies Bob Perry.
He never sailed a Folkboat.

Shitski
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Holy Cow! I'm 67 years old this month and I still haven't sailed a Folkboat. I know a gal, Carol Hassey, who has one. Maybe if I asked her she'd take me for a sail. Can't see kickin' off and never having sailed a Folkboat.

I can see my tombstone:
Here lies Bob Perry.

Shitski
What? You're kidding, right??

Better quit stallin' and get out there, Bob. They really are great boats to sail.

Preferring carvel myself, I was seriously looking at a couple of IF's over here but then the opportunity cropped up to buy my boat for not much more dough (bigger, roomier, a bit less tender - ie. nicer for Mrs H), otherwise I'd own one myself right now.

Last edited by Classic30; 06-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I can see my tombstone:
Here lies Bob Perry.

Shitski
I sailed in company with Hassey up to Princess Louisa inlet. I believe she used her motor some on that trip, but that's a tough trip to try and sail and sail she did.

That's a beautiful specimen of a folk-boat that she has. Cute kids too (one of which had a birthday at in Princess Louisa Inlet).

If you're up Hassey's way, you should ask to meet her friend "Ace". She's good people.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-07-2013

My boat is the Captain Cicero a carvel planed boat designed by William Atkin.....I saw another Captain Cicero, the boat all around, but lapstrake planked attributed to Colin Archer (the Atkin design came first) in Sweden.
Old 06-07-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Brent:.............

" steel mast" Oh my.
ummmm,, I think one would notice steel to aruminum! mast change out. That would be one HEAVY sucker of a mast! Then again, I seem to recall Jeff pointing out that adding 200 lbs to the top of the mast would be on part with adding to the keel in some way shape or form. was that length/disp ratio or some such thing!

steel to aluminum.....oh boy is too soft for that comment.

Marty