Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Wolfenzee,Heres my take on your boat:Shes fine,good lines.If your happy rowing away from her at the end of the day then mission accomplished.Full batten mains on a traditional boat is like putting a plexi glass seat on a shaker rocking chair.Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have fully batten main with single line reefing brought aft with a dutchman. Did this in a setting where I could not otherwise feel comfortable single handing ( cruise off shore with just the bride so take turns singling) and not spry with old knees. With my boat which now has done a short transit ( norfolk va to r.i) that system makes sense and works great. We varied between single and double reefed frequently. Sometimes several times in a single watch. Always felt in control even with the solent poled out all the time. But Wolfie for your boat if you're going forward and using jiffy reefing you may attend to the KISS principle. There is much to say in favor for a battenless main. Less complexity and more in keeping with the aesethic of your lovely craft. Less to break or go wrong. Just my 2cents.
P.s- had sail maker put in tags with grommets so can tie in reefs if stuff breaks.
Old 06-19-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Even if I stick with batten-less I can get a far more efficient cut than I have now (even the same exact sail 30 years newer would be an improvement)
Old 06-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Wolf:
You still don't get it. This is not new knowledge!
The sails are not flat triangles. The centroid of the flat triangle has nothing to do with the center of pressure. The center of pressure is controlled by sail shape. You control sail shape with battens. Without battens you lose control of the shape.This is not theory. Look at any performance oriented boat. Open your eyes and look around. And please do not lecture me on what it takes to make a well balanced boat. Do you really want to debate those areas with me? I don't think you have the amunition. And I don't think anyone would be discussing performance objectives while sailing with a 30 year old mainsail. Longevity issues yes, but not performance or helm balance.

But I give up. Join Brent and the luddite gang. " It's cheap so it must be good." No, it's just cheap. Sail around with a sail with a shape that looks like a catcher's mitt with max draft at
60%. Lovely. It's inefficient as hell but it will last you 20 years. Maybe. Good for you. So you sail for 20 years with a sail that is a POS. Bravo!

And jak, do you really think that having battens even full battens in the main has anything at all to do with the aesthetic elements that make Wolf's boat pleasing? That's silly. There is far too much going on in the design of any boat to let battens play an aesthetic role. I could flash ten photos of traditional boats in front of you and in five minutes you couldn't tell me what kind of battens any of the boats had.
mitiempo and Elegua like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 06-20-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Wolf:
You still don't get it. This is not new knowledge!
The sails are not flat triangles. The centroid of the flat triangle has nothing to do with the center of pressure. The center of pressure is controlled by sail shape. You control sail shape with battens. Without battens you lose control of the shape.This is not theory. Look at any performance oriented boat. Open your eyes and look around. And please do not lecture me on what it takes to make a well balanced boat. Do you really want to debate those areas with me? I don't think you have the amunition. And I don't think anyone would be discussing performance objectives while sailing with a 30 year old mainsail. Longevity issues yes, but not performance or helm balance.

But I give up. Join Brent and the luddite gang. " It's cheap so it must be good." No, it's just cheap. Sail around with a sail with a shape that looks like a catcher's mitt with max draft at
60%. Lovely. It's inefficient as hell but it will last you 20 years. Maybe. Good for you. So you sail for 20 years with a sail that is a POS. Bravo!

And jak, do you really think that having battens even full battens in the main has anything at all to do with the aesthetic elements that make Wolf's boat pleasing? That's silly. There is far too much going on in the design of any boat to let battens play an aesthetic role. I could flash ten photos of traditional boats in front of you and in five minutes you couldn't tell me what kind of battens any of the boats had.
I never said I had decided against battens..just that I was considering all possibilities....and if aesthetics were a consideration (which there are not)...I like the looks of full battens.
A mainsail is one of those things that will be with you a long time so is worth spending money on (a cheap one is just a disappointment and ends up costing more in the long run)

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-20-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2013
grumpy old man

Ok Wolf. I think when the time comes that you find a good, used main you should be open to whatever batten arrangement it has. I can't imagine you finding a good, used battenless main. You can modify the batten arrangement of a battened sail but there isn't much you can do to modify a battenless main short of altering the basic "E" and "P" dims. And I hope my post last night did not leave you with the impression that my decisions are beyond economic considerations. I have to factor in economics too. While I loved my 6 liter, V8 Mercedes it made no sense to keep driving it as gas prices shot up so 2 years ago I gave up the Mercedes for a Subaru Outback. It's a great car but I never pretend it's a Mercedes. But I can afford to drive the Subaru.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-20-2013

Gotta agree with Bob. No question battens improve performance even if roach not added. No question my new sail in a non Dacron fabric doesn't have the "hand" a more traditional fabric would have and won't even a few years from now. No question with the blocks attached to the sail, draft lines, a zillion tailtales, attachments for failsafe reefing, cummingham etc. it looks cluttered and purpose driven. Do make the concession to leave third reef out when coastal. Was just trying to respond to the tenor of Wolfie's prior posts. I like doing at doing hull speed ( or better) as much as possible. I get more pleasure out of being on my boat when it's working to it's peak performance for the conditions we're in. Wolfie said in prior post that 1/2 kts doesn't mean that much to him. I disagree but respect his point of view.
Faster likes this.
Old 06-20-2013
grumpy old man

Out:
I call getting that last tenth of a knot "good seamanship". There is, for me and probably you at least, great satisfaction in knowing the boat is working at peak performance. Sloppy sail trim annoys me.
Faster likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-20-2013

Makes me feel all is right with the world. Drives the admiral crazy. She's grabbed me time to time "Sit down already- look at me not the damn sails- I'm talking to you". O well.
Old 06-20-2013
grumpy old man

Not sure my wife even knows there is another way to sail. I like to fiddle with trim but sometimes you can dial it in and sit back for a while.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.