Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yes, I've seen plenty of pics of your boats and your invented gear (I posted a couple previously in this thread). That's why I said what I said. Please feel free to post photos of your blocks/windlasses/hatches/etc. here and let people decide for themselves how high a value you place on aesthetics.

Wait, was Adam blind? Anyway...

I also encourage you to pull my apparent quotes above from wherever you'd like. I'd sure like to see where I said those things. If you can't produce those quotes - I'm starting to wonder about the accuracy of your quotes from these "blown away friends" of yours who gush over your work.

Time to put some proof behind your words Brent. I get much satisfaction out of people who are honest.

I'll wait.
You can see photos of my hatches, windlass, blocks , boats construction sequence, etc on the origamiboats site ( yahoo groups)
You can see Smackdaddy's condemnation of those who quit work to go cruising, on cruising.stuffiminto.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Wolf:
I agree. A fully battened main with lots of roach would look odd on your boat.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that type of main for you.
no one suggested it for my boat, but someone had problems with the aesthetics of full battens on classic boats. It tweaks me when someone holds back a boats potential for the sake of being "historically correct". The modifications to this boat have balanced an horribly unbalanced rig and made it more efficient on top of that.....but it did get Pat Atkin's nose out of joint "Oh you have a modified Atkin" (though William Atkin himself would have appreciated the improvements).
Old 06-21-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

You see that's what I like about Smackers. He doesn't like poor people. Me either. I dont much like rich people either. Smackers and I hate red heads. We are uneasy around blondes. I get queasy around the elderly. I have no time for kids. And teenagers you have to watch them all the time. They are evil. I don't like any ethnic groups at all.

I really like dogs and cats. Basically any animal is ok with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-bob-walks-dogs-2.jpg  
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-21-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
Brent,
Helping the low income cruiser is certainly commendable!
Having sailed in the Baltic as well as the North Atlantic (Norway, Scotland, Iceland) as well as a nice time Down to the med, all in "wobbly plastic boats" because that was what I could afford, I fail to see your point - it would have been more expensive to build and equip a steel boat (and still is) and no boat whether steel, Alu, or GRP will save your a$$ when you run aground on the cliffs of Norway that's a given (as witnessed by nyself and others).
Having a boat that go well to windward and can maintain a good turn of speed at the same time can be a lifesaver as well, and certainly increases the pleasure of cruising - I remember situations where I was able to sail into a fiord where others couldn't.
Being a bit less young now, and a little better of, I'd still be out cruising faster and cheaper by buying a GRP boat and refitting it with "fancy Commercial equipment" than origami folding it in steel. So if you want to go cruising cheap, fast, and safe now go for an older Perry design, or one of the countless other great designs out there.
The situation might be different in North America, but I doubt it.
You are right when you say that there is no way you could build any kind of
boat for what they are charging for older fibreglass boats. I hear the Greeks are giving them away to avoid the taxes. However, I have several friends who bought fibreglass boats, who are upgrading to my boats, to boats which are built right from the outset, when they find that nothing on the market is what they want. They prefer boats which let them hit the odd rock, log or shipping container in the night, without a care in the world. One T-boned a rock in the Straits of Magellan . Shrug and carry on, no problem. You can read the story by doing a search under Silas Crosby.
They find fibreglass boats extremely wet, dripping with condensation in winter, while living aboard. Most have little or no insulation. Those which have, dont have enough. They find deck fittings which are not welded on , leak eventually and the leaks can be hard to track down .Not a problem in tropical locations, but a big discomfort in BC. Steel decks with all welded down fittings simply dont leak.
A friend just finished his steel work. In a fibreglass boat, that would mean time to hunt down all the detail fittings. When the metal work is done, you have done all your cleats, bow roller, haches, mooring bits, tankage, lifelines, handrails, boom gallows, maststep, pulpit, pushpit, engine mounts , chocks ,etc etc ,for a fraction the cost of buying all that gear from a ship swindlers, and you have far better gear, with zero chance of it leaking. Thus you save a huge amount of money and time building in steel over other materials, unless you use old, outdated, framed methods. And you dont have to worry about losing it all, including your life and that of anyone else aboard, by hitting a log in the night. When I switched to steel, the anxiety levels dropped exponentially and cruising became a lot more relaxed and worry free, pariculary in log strewn BC waters.. Many of my clients have thoroughly searched the used boat market, and concluded that the only way to get exactly what you want is to build it yourself..

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-21-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2013
Banned

Bob
I have not had much luck getting any kind of paint to stick to stainless. Do you have any tricks for that? The bottom of my keels have been bare steel for the last 29 years, and look as good as the day I built them, so I don't see the advantage in stainless.
Marcl Bardiex built an all stainless boat and said it was a big mistake.
As you pouint out, a neutral helm can be easily converted to weather helm by raking the mast a bit, but neutral helms self steer easily. Nice to give the client both options.
Old 06-21-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You see that's what I like about Smackers. He doesn't like poor people. Me either. I dont much like rich people either. Smackers and I hate red heads. We are uneasy around blondes. I get queasy around the elderly. I have no time for kids. And teenagers you have to watch them all the time. They are evil. I don't like any ethnic groups at all.

Come on Bob, dont hold back.In an emergency situation it will be better to eat the rich than the poor though.The rich have better diets,shop at Whole Foods and all that.And pit bulls look like they might be good eating in a pinch.
Old 06-21-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You are right when you say that there is no way you could build any kind of boat for what they are charging for older fibregasls boats.
So we agree.
I took the Liberty of removing the rest of your post, as that was basically just a bashing of other boats than yours, and did not reflect on the fact that I - and many others - cruise GRP boats without to many worries in areas not too different from BC.

Just an example:
SY/SOL.dk

(BTW they are way out of my League, but very nice people)
knuterikt likes this.
Old 06-21-2013
Banned

Quote:
Adam was blind?

This changes everything.
After praising the garden of Eden for it's beauty, including the beauty of the forbidden fruit, and naming all the animals , while blind , he only gained his eyesight after eating the forbidden fruit, and only then did he realize he was naked.(After having taken many a leak and dump, assuming he had pants on , never bothering to take them down, for if he had, he would have noticed that he had no pants on) As soon as he gained his eysight he was kicked out, no time left to praise or name anything.

Now there's a credibility problem! Funny nobody noticed!
Old 06-21-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

I'm free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally
-W.C. Fields

Quote:

Old 06-21-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
Come on Bob, dont hold back.In an emergency situation it will be better to eat the rich than the poor though.The rich have better diets,shop at Whole Foods and all that.And pit bulls look like they might be good eating in a pinch.
Ya but; have you ever tried to clean one of those suckers?