Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Joms:
There seems to be an attitude expressed by some here that if you don't do it my way you are a fool. My way is the only right way and your way is stupid....
Is something I run into alot on just about every forum topic....ironically alot of these people are totally clueless, weekend sailors basing their information on what the marketing industry feeds them. To paraphrase that "My way is right and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong in anything they say."

With our culture closing in on our freedoms of self..boating is one of the few ways left we can express our individuality, if we do not allow ourselves to be manipulated by the marketing industry and herded into cookie cutter boats and ideals.

In other words there are alot of different ways to achieve the same ends
JomsViking likes this.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Is something I run into alot on just about every forum topic....ironically alot of these people are totally clueless, weekend sailors basing their information on what the marketing industry feeds them. To paraphrase that "My way is right and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong in anything they say."

With our culture closing in on our freedoms of self..boating is one of the few ways left we can express our individuality, if we do not allow ourselves to be manipulated by the marketing industry and herded into cookie cutter boats and ideals.

In other words there are alot of different ways to achieve the same ends
Some contradiction there, Wolf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-22-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Joms:
There seems to be an attitude expressed by some here that if you don't do it my way you are a fool. My way is the only right way and your way is stupid. I've made my living adapting my design talents to accomodating different aproaches to sailing. They are all "right" for the individual client. There are lots of ways to enjoy sailing. I really don't care so much about how people enjoy sailing. I am certainly not going to get judgmental over it. I try to keep my narrow mind open at all times.
Great point Bob.I remember being in a Jeffries ledge race(it was a CCA overnight race around Massachussetts bay)around 1976 or 77', cant remember clear dates anymore.That year multihulls were entered.Phil Weld,Phil Steggal and walter Greene had there tri's there. I thought they were the neatest thing since sliced bread.The monohull racers were all snickering behind there backs."they arent real boats,they arent safe, blah blah".At the the skippers meeting the start procedure was being explained,You start from anchor.Dick Newick was with Phil Weld,He said rather loudly,'by the time you lead minors get to the first mark,We'll be back mixing drinks'.I wanted to go with them.Years later I read an article about Newick he mentioned how hide bound and traditional the sport of sailing was.4 hours after we started Gulf Streamer went by us, the smaller tris not far behind.That left an impression.When I was younger I was very strident about my views.I became a young crusader for multhulls then and got very obnoxious I am sure.Then I got into Wooden boats and thought that was the only way to go.Now I am happy Sailing.New boats,old boats,mono's,multi's I like them all.I like Brents boats and his approach.There is a place for all of it.It all works.Murray Petereson was quoted as saying what was important to him was how he felt when rowing away from his boat at the end of the day.
JomsViking likes this.
Old 06-22-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Some contradiction there, Wolf.
... basing their information on what the marketing industry feeds them...

...manipulated by the marketing industry...

I don't see that as a contradiction but rather a reinforcement of something I just said.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 06-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I mean when you compare the red statements to the black statements in your quote above - it's a bit contradictory.

Individual expression and multiple means to ends don't allow much room for "totally clueless herds of weekend sailors in market-enforced cookie cutter boats".

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong with "cookie cutter" boats. Some people like them and it's their personal freedom to enjoy them. Enough of this judgmental BS. Smackers is right. You are contradicting yourself Wolf. What do you want? Freedom for you but not for the guy who happens to like Catalinas?

I think you deserve the award today.

I think you would agree that I show a lot of freedom in the range of boats I design, from traditional cruisers to contemorary and succesful racers. Right?
I used to own a Catalina. And I liked it.

Jak:
I sailed my first catamaran in 1963, maybe it was '64. It was a British built Cougar Cat with grp hulls and Bruynzeel decks. It was considered a "novelty" boat at the time. It was fast and fun but the plywood decks rotted and I don't think you can find one around anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-crockpot.jpg  
JomsViking and jak3b like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 06-22-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Gonna say something sexist so Donna is gonna bite my head off (and she's right so I hope she knows this is in fun). Boats are like the ladies- all are beautiful- none do everything well.
Seriously love boats- have had great fun on production chlorox bottles and a lousy time on one offs + Swans. Folks are endlessly inventive. Love poking around yards and seeing what folks have made or modified.
Yes there are boats in any material I prefer and some I don't . Yes there are designers I prefer. Yes it breaks my heart to see folks spend their hard earned money on a poorly constructed craft.
When looking around for the "last" boat a couple years ago with a friend took him on a V50. When he heard the cost he said "Don't know why you would ever spend that kind of money. It's so small inside compared to my brother's B.....50". That night had dinner with him and his brother. His brother said "V50... great boat.....will hold together doing what you're doing". Now his boat is beautifully executed for the way he uses it. It's a fine craft and my friend's brother is knowledgeable. Smearing production boats is just silly.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by outbound; 06-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I've been thinking about a new car for 2 years. I've looked at a lot of cars. I have now found the car in a recent Motor Trend magazine. This care will give me a distinct ride that will express my individuality and style. It's the new, special order only, Biturbo Mercedes E63 AMG wagon. It's very, very powerful, looks beautiful, has lots of room and it really says "Bob" all over it. It has red brake calipers. I really want it.

Problem is to express my individualism in a car and in a way the suits me will cost me $95,000. Can't afford it. My Subaru Outback cookie cutter wagon looks just fine to me. Does the job. I'll just have to express my individualism by wearing my hair funny.
jak3b likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Meet Phil Weld several times- class act. Will miss him. Been on a few of Chris White's early boats ( he's orginally from this area). Sailed one ( "Marguerite") to bermuda or rather the owner ( experienced single hander racer ) did and I got to steer a little.. White seems very inventive and his new ideas are quite interesting. Maybe Wolf should put on his rig with no mainsail. Wouldn't have to worry about battens.
Old 06-22-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Meet Phil Weld several times- class act. Will miss him. Been on a few of Chris White's early boats ( he's orginally from this area). Sailed one ( "Marguerite") to bermuda or rather the owner ( experienced single hander racer ) did and I got to steer a little.. White seems very inventive and his new ideas are quite interesting. Maybe Wolf should put on his rig with no mainsail. Wouldn't have to worry about battens.
I learned to sail on the other side of the 'canal' on the south shore of Mass bay.
Bob, to bad about the AMG.Enzo Farrari said the unfortunate thing about his cars was the people who really appreciated them couldnt afford them

Last edited by jak3b; 06-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.