Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Here Bob,This blows that ole' AMG right away;
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Tri-Axis Endurance Laminate

Wolfe,

There is a link to the Ullman sails I've mentioned a couple of times. They may or may not work, but worth investigating none the less.

Marty
Old 06-23-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

early days so don't have long term experience but Hood's Vektron is another choice. Sails that Robin in California loft built for us incorporated all the details we wanted and looks to be built for the long run. Friends tells me their sails have just about the same shape after thousands of miles.It's a fabric not a laminate so should not have the problems you sometimes hear about with laminates. Found Robin knowledgeable and he isn't that far from you. Think the build and the fabric/laminate are both of great importance. Would vet the sail loft before going down this road and not decide on material alone.
Old 06-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

jak:
Really? You'd do that for me if you win the lottery? Cool. I'd like a white one please.

I find a couple of Brent's hulls quite attractive. The one with the outboard rudder looks quite sweet to my eye. The cabin trunk is a bit awkward but with some minor fine tuning I think that boat could be very handsome.
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-23-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Marty,
The Ullman Tri-Axis sails are nice but are way out of my price range (actually so are any Ullman sails). Ullman makes nice sails, but I can get more bang for the buck from another sailmaker without compromising the quality of the end product.
In all fairness I have asked for a quote from Ullman and a waiting on that.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2013

Trying to find something close to mine P:37'/E:15' it is interesting what has about the same size main
J29 P:38.8'/E:13', Farr 30 P: 34.6"/E: 15.5", Alberg 35 P:35'/E:15.5', Cape Dory 36 P:37/E:16', International 11 meter P:36.09' E:13.62, it would fit but be 1' short in each dimension, though it does have a fairly extreme roach which would take up for most of the lost sail area....quite a range of boat types though the hull size didn't vary much.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-23-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2013

Cruising Sails and Racing Sails for Sale In Stock

There is a farr 30 and J29 mainsail available here. That link has a few other used sails too.......an F30 fiberpath for $900 is a pretty good deal. That one is used. THe J29 is 1500 for what appears to be a new dacron main.

Marty
Old 06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Cruising Sails and Racing Sails for Sale In Stock

There is a farr 30 and J29 mainsail available here. That link has a few other used sails too.......an F30 fiberpath for $900 is a pretty good deal. That one is used. THe J29 is 1500 for what appears to be a new dacron main.

Marty
Thanks, the Farr 30 of J29 would take alterations, I found a Sabat "Premium Series" laminated main that would fit pretty well for $250 used (http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/....html&cart_id=), they are in Monterey so I could actually take a physical look at the sail and would have more accuarate measurements for my boat....don't have the money now but would by then. I am waiting on a quote for a sail from Ullman....might ask about alterations.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2013

Wolf,

Locally, If you can get ahold of Jeff Carson that would be good, tell him Marty sent you. If that does not work, try to get ahold of Chris. Jeff is out of town in the SJ's probably until tuesday wednesday would be my guess. Chris spends about half his time up here in seattle, the other half in San Diego. Both lofts are owned/run by the same person.

They also have a 30% off in sept during the seattle boat show, with delivery in March/april. Half up front, half when delivered. That might help a bit.......then again.....that is your call.

If you need ph#s or emails, pm me or email me at my sn handle name at hotmail

Marty
Old 06-23-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Joms:
There seems to be an attitude expressed by some here that if you don't do it my way you are a fool. My way is the only right way and your way is stupid. I've made my living adapting my design talents to accomodating different aproaches to sailing. They are all "right" for the individual client. There are lots of ways to enjoy sailing. I really don't care so much about how people enjoy sailing. I am certainly not going to get judgmental over it. I try to keep my narrow mind open at all times.
Way to go BP.

Not sure if I have mentioned this before but I knew a fellow some years back with a 26' Roberts, hard chine steel. Rough as guts down below and while basic on deck she was well equipped for an era where most small boats had few electrical gadgets beyond a VHF radio. This guy was adamant that anything more than what he had was overkill and that his 26'er was simply as good as it gets.

He came into some money a few years later. Last I heard of him he was sailing a 60 odd foot Swan.

Funny that.

Reality is we sail the boat that best fits our dreams and our budget. I'd happily go anywhere in our old VDS34 but I'm a damn sight more comfortable in her successor. Meanwhile her previous owners are more comfortable still in their newer HR48.

BP was talking earlier on about his lust for an AMG Merc. I'm no major car nut but if I was thinking that way I'd like an Audi A5 coupe. Right now though I'm looking to cut free and spending that amount of dosh on a new car was not in the bucket. Nonetheless the Wombet's motor was at the end of the road so she's taken my Audi A4 and I've just bought a 15 year old Lexus. Cost me a third of the deposit required to buy an A5. Nice car in fact. I've never been a Lexus fan but this thing, amazingly enough really impresses me. Would I rather it than a brand new A5 ? No fricking way but now I get to spend more money on the boat.

So if its rough cos rough is all you can afford or are willing to spend then so be it and good on you for chasing the dream at a price you can afford. Just please don't try and convince the rest of us that roughcut is a good as polished. 'taint.

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.