Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Those boats do look pretty fair Brent. But you really have to do something about all of these boats you have designed that end up pounding on the rocks. I am beginning to detect a common theme here.

I like the dark blue hull boat. Nice lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Those boats do look pretty fair Brent. But you really have to do something about all of these boats you have designed that end up pounding on the rocks. I am beginning to detect a common theme here.

I like the dark blue hull boat. Nice lines.
Clive left the Wong in the hands of a Yank in Panama who promised to look after her, in order to come back to Canada to get his pension sorted out. While he was gone, the yank towed her onto a reef so his friends could strip her. He only found out later that Uncle Sam is looking for that yank.
As I pointed out ,Don went on the reef in Fiji because he cut this wheelhouse off, against my advice and design, so he couldn't see where he was going while in his galley.
"Style over substance" priorities.
Perhaps people get a bit careless sailing my boats, because they know they can survive such colisions, while others would probably break up and never be seen again. Are you suggesting I make them flimsier, so the stories disappear along with the boats, in a similar fashion?
At any rate, I have no control over how my boats are sailed, only on keeping them intact which I obviously do..
Comodore Warwick Tompkins said he loved the shape of one of my 36 footers, under construction in Sausalito.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2013
grumpy old man

"Perhaps people get a bit careless sailing my boats, because they know they can survive such colisions,"

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Come on down Brent Swain and pick up your crock.

That is one of the silliest things I have ever read about cruising boats.
Not suggesting you make them "flimsier" at all. I was suggesting there may be a common perormance issue that leads to the boats ending up on the rocks so often. You crow about how there are all fabulous designs. I just wonder why so much of your "marketing" is based on how many have survived catastrophic groundings.

Actually Brent I was just giving you a hard time. I'm sure your designs have nothing to do with their frequent groundings.

Warwick Tompkins is an old frind of mine. I can't imagine him in one of your boats under any circumstances.

At this rate Brent you will soon have enough crocks to have a really big yard sale. Maybe give one away with each set of plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-crockpot.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 06-24-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jak:
Really? You'd do that for me if you win the lottery? Cool. I'd like a white one please.

I find a couple of Brent's hulls quite attractive. The one with the outboard rudder looks quite sweet to my eye. The cabin trunk is a bit awkward but with some minor fine tuning I think that boat could be very handsome.
Hey sorry about the lotto this week Bob.There is something wrong there because I was really feeling I was knonkin' on the door.I think it might be fixed.Well there is always the powerball coming up again.I sent a donation to a special temple in Tamil Nadu.They said there prayers could help.Swinging for the fences!.
Old 06-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
"Many of my boats have hit the rocks at hull speed, with no dammage "

three knots?
and Perry connects with a right to the twins ....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Depends on the owner, how much he can do himself, what kind of deals he comes up with in used gear, and how resourceful he is. Two were launced inth elast 5 years for $35,000 with very independent, resourceful owners. Like with any boat, there is no upper limit on how much one can spend, but planning and thought which goes into a boat produces a far better boat than does simply spending more money on one.
I won't even touch the "BS WreckingBall With A Cockpit" marketing angle above. Let's just stay focused on the price point - since the central declared mission of BS Yachts is a boat for the 99%.

Do you have any pics (and, ideally, budget breakdowns) of either of these new $35K yachts? How long did they take to build? This would be extremely helpful to anyone considering your value proposition. What's the final product at that price point? Is it nice? Is it fitted-out and finished nicely inside and out? Or is it a collection of various cast-off items made to suffice? Photos of the actual boats answer these questions.

Again, I'm not saying any of these directions are right or wrong. I'm just trying to establish some detail in your generally vague claims. The customer needs to know what he'll get for his investment.

Better yet, let's focus on a given. What would the complete build budget for ULLR be exactly as she's shown/spec'd in her ad above?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Not to interrupt the fun argument for too long, but the owner of Dove III sounds like a pretty cool guy, I met his sister while flying back to Canada recently. She had a lot of funny stories about him, I think that was the fifth boat he's built? she told me he built 4 or 5 in his lifetime, including a ferro-cement one and the last was a steel boat called Dove for sale in Nanaimo now, I didn't know it was a Brent Swain design, nor that he was doing such incredible trips, I wish I'd asked more about him now.
Does anyone know his name?

Apparently he gave her grief about not going adventuring, to which she said "Somebody has to keep working to have an address for your mail."
Old 06-24-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
No worries. I washed the Subaru and It's looking sharp There is some dog stuff in the back seat that is looking odd but Iml sure a good vacuuming will cure that.

Rest knowing I can wait another two weeks for my new Mercedes.

Just got back from the dojo expecting a few rounds of kumite with Brent but noooooo.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-25-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jak:
No worries. I washed the Subaru and It's looking sharp There is some dog stuff in the back seat that is looking odd but Iml sure a good vacuuming will cure that.

Rest knowing I can wait another two weeks for my new Mercedes.

Just got back from the dojo expecting a few rounds of kumite with Brent but noooooo.

Cool Bob, Glad you understand.Hey Dog stuff is good,better than finding a homeless tweaker in the back.Now back to boats.I have to chime in here on this notion of the "average" guy and sailing.There is no such thing.The average guy in the 'states' doesnt sail, period.Sailors I am sure make up less the 1.5% of the population.Of that 1.5% half of that are what used to be refered to as upper middle class,(sounds like Yogi Berra '90% of baseball is half mental')the rest are rich.There is a small group of us who are niether.We work on boats and sail.Some of us build our own.This is an even smaller group.The 'average' Joe doesnt even prepare his own food let alone build anything.The average guy,The 99%'er goes to work for 30 years or so retires and dies withen 3 years sitting on the couch watching TV.I applaud anyone who builds anything on his own. I have havnt built my own boat yet but Ive done tons of boat work for others.From that and a life time of sailing I know pretty much what I want in a sailing vessel.She must sail well,all around,have a comfortable motion,I spent many years sailing a Cal 33,.Fun,fast off the wind but that flat bottom would pound your fillings out.Strong,seaworthy,ya we all get that.As far as finish I am not a big fan of varnish,unless I am getting paid to take care of it.
And a little off-white decks so you dont burn your toes or get blinded in the tropics.Another thing I dont like is cockpit led controls.I like my halyards on the mast and my cockpit clear.Sooner or later your going on deck anyway no matter how well laid out the leads are and it will be in the middle of a cold dark and stormy night,Murphy's law.Down below, I like a good galley.Bob,I have to say all the boats of been on of your design have the best galleys,very well laid out and useable.It always amazed me how people could prepare food in the six by six inch space some boats have for cooking.My friend has a fairweather/westsail 39 he lives on in Sausalito,great layout all around.I appreciate good joiner work,not the fancy intricate busy kind of the Asian yards but like Walsteds from Denmark.I am not rich, not even close.Not even a little,But Ive done everything Ive wanted that I set my mind to.I could build the boat I invision.I wouldnt do it to go cruising Id do it to build the boat,That would be the goal in itself. The problem Ive seen people have is that they get bogged down trying to tackle to many details at once. There needs to be a course that teaches you How to work, before you do anything else,like learn carpentry or welding.I learned how to work from a 65 year old Chinese guy I worked with in the late 80's here in San Francisco.We were doing seismic retrofitting on a very big house in Pacific hights.Just me and Wing, the boss was parked at Danny's bar all day.Wing was 100lbs soaking wet,maybe 5'2",but he could produce more quality output in a day than 4 younger guys.He never rushed but was always moving, was organised and kept focused on the immediate job.he didnt talk unnessesarily and was a master at conserving his energy.He was my best teacher.I didnt learn carpentry or plumbing or painting from him but I learned how to get things done without killing myself in a timely manner.The 89 quake hit as I was doing the final finish painting.The house is still there.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by jak3b; 06-25-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Brent's comments are very reminiscent of Bruce Roberts stock plans business and John Samson back in the days of ferro.

The fact is that nothing is cheaper than a shrewdly purchased used boat - especially now in this depressed market.

I know this for a fact as I've built, restored and bought turnkey used.

Building was by far the most expensive.

Having said that, if I was for some reason possessed enough to take a 30' through the North West Passage, I think one of Brent's boats would definitely be on the short list.
smackdaddy likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-02-2014 at 10:29 PM.