Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Jeff,

That makes a lot of sense from an engineering perspective ( I am one...).

The interesting thing is that a lot of high latitude sailors seem to favor steel or aluminum, why is that ? iced in situation potential of crushing hull?

Last edited by jorgenl; 06-26-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Perhaps people get a bit careless sailing my boats, because they know they can survive such colisions, while others would probably break up and never be seen again. Are you suggesting I make them flimsier, so the stories disappear along with the boats, in a similar fashion?
JomsViking likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Jeff,

The interesting thing is that a lot of high latitude sailors seem to favor steel or aluminum, why is that ? iced in situation potential of crushing hull?
One word - toughness.
Brent Swain likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-26-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Jeff,

Thank you for the supportive comment. I am not sure why high latitude sailors would prefer aluminum, but steel does have advantages in that application such as its high abrasion resistance and the ability to make repairs even in a cold climate.

You can achieve better impact resistance with a kevlar-vinylester laminate, and a pretty high abrasion resistance, but if you breech the skin, I am not sure how you would make a reliable repair without heating the area up to a temperature in the 40F range.

The other thing is that many of the high latitude boats are pretty big boats. At some point as boats get bigger (probably something in excess of 40 or so feet), steel's higher unit strength does come into play and steel begins to become a more competitive choice.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Hart:
Great video.
What is the green double ender?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-26-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hart:
Great video.
What is the green double ender?
The green double-ender looks like a Tumlaren. There appeared to be at least 4 of them in the race. There was also a sdouble ender which appeared to be smaller than the Tumlarens and may be a Goteborg Flyer. Now how these uniqulely Scandinavian designs got to Australia is beyond me.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-26-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

As unlikley as is might be (actually the chances are down right astronomical) I located a used racing mainsail that will fit my boat with no alterations (Sobstad Genesis Platinum laminate Mylar/taffeta etc) , it's loose footed, but that's not a problem and might even be a good thing. It has minor issue with the leech which can be fixed with a reinforcing leech tape (which is a good thing to have anyway), but over all is in good shape and a really good price, it will give me the chance to try out a laminated sail with out investing a lot of money (and it gives me a chance to save up enough to have a new sail cut)
JomsViking likes this.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-26-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2013

Wolf,
Do you know what kind of boat that the sail is from. Your boat has a lot of mast bend, and so you will want a sail cut for a boat with similar 'pre-bend' or the sail will be too flat for your boat.

Also mylar/polyester taffeta sails are very short lived sails compared to other laminates.

Old 06-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Jeff:
Yes, I thought they looked like Tumlarens as well. Love that boat.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jeff:
Yes, I thought they looked like Tumlarens as well. Love that boat.
Me too. Truly beautiful boats.

I have also liked some of their construction details like the planked down hull to their plank keel, especially as this was combined with their bronze or iron floor timbers extending far up thier topsides. That has always struck me as strong, light and maintainable.

At least some Tumlarens were copper riveted either into double planking or carvel.

The one that I knew best had a mix of sawn and steam bent frames. I always suspected that she was skip planked over the sawn frames and then the bent frames were bent to the planking. Of course, that is only speculation on my part, but its a nice way to build a boat.

Jeff