Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hart:
I have a buddy who bought a bigger version of the Tumlaren. Don't recall the name of the design but it was a looker.
Perhaps a Udell? ..or it could simply have been a scaled-up Tum, since most of these boats were built locally off the plans.

IMO, the one and only thing Mr Reimers got wrong with the Tums is the lack of a self-draining cockpit. That means (over here) we're, technically, not allowed to race them outside 'protected waters'.. not that any have ever come to grief sailing to Geelong and back whilst the powers-that-be were looking the other way.

Last edited by Classic30; 06-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

jak:
The SLIVER project will be rolled out of the shed and trucked to Seattle on July 25th. The keel will be fitted in Seattle and the boat finished and readied for launch.
The boat is strip planked with a composite deck and internal structure. It's very light and very simple. Should be a rocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-kim-deck-2.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-26-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jak:
The SLIVER project will be rolled out of the shed and trucked to Seattle on July 25th. The keel will be fitted in Seattle and the boat finished and readied for launch.
The boat is strip planked with a composite deck and internal structure. It's very light and very simple. Should be a rocket.
Very cool Bob.I was just looking at the pics on flicker.It must be fun getting clients for boats like this.
Old 06-26-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
Yes. I had known the client Kim for over 25 years and we had talked about doing a boat "some day" for a long time. We have very similar tastes in boats and a similar sailing style so the design process went quickly and smoothly. Engineering was done by Tim Nolan in Pt Townsend and all 3D work for CNC cutting was done by James Franken in Pt. Townsend. I had some very skilled help with this project.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-26-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I won't even touch the "BS WreckingBall With A Cockpit" marketing angle above. Let's just stay focused on the price point - since the central declared mission of BS Yachts is a boat for the 99%.

Do you have any pics (and, ideally, budget breakdowns) of either of these new $35K yachts? How long did they take to build? This would be extremely helpful to anyone considering your value proposition. What's the final product at that price point? Is it nice? Is it fitted-out and finished nicely inside and out? Or is it a collection of various cast-off items made to suffice? Photos of the actual boats answer these questions.

Again, I'm not saying any of these directions are right or wrong. I'm just trying to establish some detail in your generally vague claims. The customer needs to know what he'll get for his investment.

Better yet, let's focus on a given. What would the complete build budget for ULLR be exactly as she's shown/spec'd in her ad above?
I built ULLR in Comox BC in the early 80s. The owners worked part time on her, evenings and weekends. The steel cost $3800 back then and scrap stainless was $1 a pound. I have no records of what else they spent on her .

One is the wine coloured 36 in the photos you posted, built for $35,000, 5 years ago, Winston Bushnells boat, beautifully finished inside and out. It is his his 4th offshore boat and his 3rd brentboat. It is at Newcastel Marina in Nanaimo. I am at the opposite end of Georgia Strait, retired, and where the swimin gets good, and I have no intention of giving it up to sail to a noisy, hostile, bureautcrat ridden city, to appease someone who thinks I am having too much fun( which I am).

Many, including myself, pay far less attention to the odd rock ,than we would in a fragile plastic or wooden boat, which couldn't survive a collision with a rock, without serious hull dammage. We dont sail in rockpiles and uncharted waters, in stark fear. If we hit a rock we shrug and carry on, no wories.. Some have hit rocks at three knots some at 6 or more and everything in between, with no real damage except a tiny paint chip.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-26-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2013
grumpy old man

I hit a rock at 6.5 knots in NIGHT RUNNER. Scared the shitski out of me. No damage at all except for a gouge in the lead.

Wooden boat.

I'm all out of crocks tonight. I'll get one for you in the morning Brent. You give new meaning to "Bouncing around the Salish Sea".
Classic30 and mitiempo like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-26-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Did you ever hit the hull that hard, or only the METAL keel?
Old 06-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Back in 2004 had Alan Pape draw up plans for a nearly flush deck cutter with a pilot house/half house aft. Small cockpit. Rudder hung on gudgeons/pintles with a tiller. Went as far as to go to the local voc school and learn to use plamsa cutter and the three welding styles. Had a Miller in the basement for years. Wicked fun "pulling a puddle" and so different then my day job. At this point think above 40' Al still can make a lot of sense and >50' steel isn't a bad choice.
If someone dropped a huge bag of money on me would think about a 50-60' ketch in monel. No through hulls just standpipes. Have it compartmentalized fore and aft with integral tanks to make it in effect double hulled in the middle. Maybe Bob would like to draw it. Radius chine or at least soft chine.
Old 06-26-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jak:
Yes. I had known the client Kim for over 25 years and we had talked about doing a boat "some day" for a long time. We have very similar tastes in boats and a similar sailing style so the design process went quickly and smoothly. Engineering was done by Tim Nolan in Pt Townsend and all 3D work for CNC cutting was done by James Franken in Pt. Townsend. I had some very skilled help with this project.
Id love to do that.I would give you a basic out line of what I wanted then let you go to town.I read a interview with Dick Newick where one of clients came to him with a list of things his wife wanted.He told him 'I am not going to let your wife design my boat for you'.
Old 06-27-2013
grumpy old man

Brent:
What the hell difference does it make?

You have clients who pride themselves on hitting rocks. I call that bad navigation and then I call it stupidity. Yachting for the mentally impaired. I don't care how my boat was built. I would do everything in my power to keep it off the rocks. Period!

You like your agricultural looking boats and some of us don't. Go your own way and we can go ours. If you want to anchor in quiet cove looking like the dog's breakfast then fine. I want my boats to enhance any environment they find themselves in. I am a yacht designer.

We will NEVER agree. NEVER
183 degrees limit of positive stability?

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.