Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Brent,

Did you know destroyers in the US navy fleet only have 3/8" thick steel, so while they are in the lead of a carrier fleet, if they are torpedo'd, the torpedo goes thru it with out exploding! Meanwhile the battle and carrier ships have thicker steel. BUT, a torpedo will explode and sink them! The US navy in WWII lost more destroyers due to typhoons than torpedo's! So having a frame that is not to strong or thick etc, might be an advantage at times. Also why PT boats were made of wood. Lighter, just as strong per say, but a torpedo would go thru them, potentially allowing said boat to get to the sub and destroy it!

So one can have, many types of materials to make a boat per say, sometimes the strength of it, as you imply by whether or not a bullet will go thru stop or equal, may be to either it advantage, or disadvantage. That fir would not explode a bullet, so you only have a round hole in hull to deal with, the steel on the other hand, would explode the bullet, sinking the steel boat!

Take that for what it is worth!

Marty
Old 06-28-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

BS Translator by Google...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When I asked Winston when he launched he said " 5 years ago. When I asked him what she cost, he said "Around $35 k" So your gripe is with Winston not me. I wasnt about to call him a liar, so you can, to his face. I'd like to be there when you do.
Translates as:

Quote:
I can say whatever I want about whatever I want. See, the key is that I always keep everything "second-hand hearsay" so I can deny anything I've ever said. AND I can start fights between people. I already told that guy you called him a liar. He's looking for you.

I honestly have no idea if my boats are crappy or expensive. I just keep saying I've talked to someone who told me otherwise. I do know that they're strong. And that's all that matters. STRONG so you can hit rocks while you're down below doing your 2 hours of yearly maintenance while motoring full-speed toward a lee shore or reef.

And anyway, everyone knows those yachtie brokers are damn liars! Running ads that make me look bad.

Look, if you're a 99% wannabe cruiser, all you really need is at least $35k in cash, and a few years to do nothing but weld. Oh yeah, you also need a welding/cutting kit, tons of tools, and a big place to build a 36' boat. You have that, right 99%er? If not, just do someone a favor so they give you all this stuff for free.

Oh, but first, you have to pay me for my books, videos and plans of course - because I'm never going to give away any of my "secrets" on a public forum. You have to pay! I mean, who the hell do you think you are wanting something for free? Phhhh.

Quote:
I was just given another SSB- Ham radio for free, my second freebe ham radio . Winston has many similar expereinces, as he is very quick to do favours for others, anyone can do that.
I sailed many years without radar, never had a fab all, my wood stove cost me $50 for stainless .I have never had a chartplotter, th efirst diesel for my current boat cost me$1,000. What Winston was quoting was the cost of geting sailing and livable , the toys all come later, without which one can do many years of cruising.
Translates as:

Quote:
See, I never give anything away for free. Everything I advocate ends up costing you, the 99%er, a lot of money. BUT, you can always mooch off others for THEIR stuff by doing a little favor here and there. Getting Yachtie Absurdities for free is what it's all about. Toys baby! All you have to do is sweet talk those people. They're idiots!

Quote:
I have never suggested that anyone can buy one of my boats cheap...
Translates as:

Quote:
Wait one second! Even though I always go on an on about how I've got the magical formula for allowing the 99%er to cruise on just a few hundred dollars a year - I've never suggested that a 99%er can cruise on just a few hundred dollars a year.

Boats are damn expensive you 99% idiot!

Quote:
One can build and equip their own brentboat for a fraction the cost of having one built. Do you work for free? No? Then dont expect others to.
Translates as:

Quote:
Hey 99%er - what the hell? You want something for free? Screw you. Do you think I'm one of those yachtie suckers who will just GIVE you something for some little favor?

Look, when it comes to the privilege of having your own BrentBoat to run into a rock, you're going to pay through the nose unless you already have years of experience in steelwork, boat-bulding, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, rigging, and every other skilled trade associated with yacht construction.

Of course, when you buy all my books, videos, magazines, and blow-up BrentDolls, you'll suddenly have all that - and be incredibly smart and resourceful.

Then you can start doing people favors and get THEM to give you tons of free stuff. Just don't expect anything free from me. I'm a 99%er. I don't just give stuff away to other 99%ers - that's the 1%er's job. You dolt.

Quote:
When you ask for a price breakdown on building my boats, you are asuming that my clients are incredibly stupid enough to buy everything new, at retail prices. They are definitely not that stupid. Most are far more practical and resourceful that that ,unlike those who foolishly assume that they are as dense as the average urban consumer, an extreme insult to their intelligence and resourcefulness.

There is no predicting what kind of deals a resourcful home builder will come up with, so such a list is only valid for the super dense, urban consumerism disciple. Those kind of halfwits are not amoung my clients.I would rather send them to Bob.
Translates as:

Quote:
You dare ask me for actual numbers? Fool! You obviously assume my clients are stupid enough to keep a running tally of their costs. AND you obviously assume they overpay for everything! You wonder how else could they have possibly gotten to an astronomical sum of $35K when they're scrounging all their material and equipment (except my book, my video, my magazines, and my industrial-steel nose hair clippers) out of dumpsters for free? Ha! Wait...you have a point...no, actually, my friend says you don't.

Just by asking for some 1%er concept like a "price breakdown" shows your level of disdain for my disciples....ahm...miserly minions...ahm...clients. Don't make me "talk to another friend"! I'll do it! And he'll tell me something that sinks your little inquisition like a Catalina 27! Better yet, I'll throw a $2 block at you...lots of them actually...they're heavy, strong, and stupid cheap.

I only serve brilliant people. Fullwits if you will. That to say, I only serve people that bend to my will...an Origami Client. If you think for yourself...you're not one of mine. Go to someone like Bob who will give you what YOU want. Imbecile.

Quote:
When I started my current 31 in 84 , I had $4,000 to my name ,total. When I launched her 30 day later ,I had $40. People at Newcastle marina at the time including Gerald, Evan and Winston can afirm the build to launching time. From there to sailing and living aboard, minus my cost of living, was $2,000 left for the boat.Mainsail Sig Jantzen sold me for $100 the awning I made my jib out of cost me $80 , interior panneling freebe, dito the 3/4 and 3/8th plywood.
Translates as:

Quote:
People just need to believe everything I tell them, buy my stuff, do what I say, and give me lots of their stuff for free. That's just the way the 99% ethos works. Why? Because I said so.
Thank you Google.
JomsViking likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-29-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As I suggested in the wooden mast discussion, I soaked a bit of fir in a very salty brine for a week, dried it out then glued it together with epoxy. The salt had zero effect on the strength of the glue line, that I could detect. Commercially available wood preservatives leave an oily surface, which no glue can stick to.
That quote summarizes your approach. Based on a highly unscientific one off test (no empirical data), and what fir, grown where, how old, salt solution for how long, penetration through material, breaking strength, glue, drying time, etc.

Based on this myth You'll probably start arguing that this is the only safe way to build wooden masts - I sincerely believe You're dangerous to your clients, as you have demonstrated here that you have NO (Nil, zero) understanding of material strength but subscribe to the "I hit it with a hammer so it must be strong" theory.
"The salt had zero effect on the strength of the glue line, that I could detect.", funny.

Sorry that I'm bashing you too, but this is plain stupid..

/Joms
Old 06-29-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

If they'd only made it out of steel... Heartbreaking Images Of The Giant Rubber Duck That Mysteriously Deflated In Hong Kong - Yahoo! Finance

My next boat..... File:BobbyLeachNiagaraFalls.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And now from our sponcers........
JomsViking likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jak3b For This Useful Post:
JomsViking (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013

Cascade Yachts
Bullet proof,literally, and fiberglass!.
JomsViking likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jak3b For This Useful Post:
JomsViking (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Fact is that Uniflyte did a bunch of bullet proof tests back before they built the Valiants. The testing is well documented and was done in conjunction with their building the Viet Nam river gunboats.

I'm still not going to shoot any boats with my 50 cal.
I might take a whack ot two today at some with my Don Bradley cricket bat.
jak3b likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-29-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
Facts:
1. GRP boats are cheaper (as you admitted in this thread previously)
2. Even with a steel boat a grounding may kill you, so learn to navigate (although you refuse to believe the evidence)
3. An overly heavy hull that doesn't point well may not be able to beat of a lee shore and/or into a safe haven (no matter the material)
4. Steel is a great material for boatbuilding, and so is wood and GRP
5. The Pardeys have survived in wooden boats for soooo many years.
6. The test to destructions made by NASA are scientific and empirical, not just bad navigators running aground.
7. Fram was made of wood.

Seems to me that the quote should be.

"Brent Swains Lack of logic has made many boats excessively expensive, complicated and impractical for cruisers."
(Sorry about the last one, just couldn't help it)

/Joms
I wish I still had the results but I ready an article by a structural engineer who took all the materials used in boat building and after exhaustive comparison the final conclusions for the ideal boat building materiel was WOOD.
Old 06-29-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I wish I still had the results but I ready an article by a structural engineer who took all the materials used in boat building and after exhaustive comparison the final conclusions for the ideal boat building materiel was WOOD.
Fropm this quote wolf, is that engineers view point from a given size, say 40 and under, and it does not matter be it a carrier or a pleasure or in between?!?!?!?!

Marty
Old 06-29-2013

Soldiers wrestle fiber glass sailboat to the beach and kill it!.
http://survivalstrategies.net/wp-con...-the-beach.jpg
Old 06-29-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Fact is that Uniflyte did a bunch of bullet proof tests back before they built the Valiants. The testing is well documented and was done in conjunction with their building the Viet Nam river gunboats.

I'm still not going to shoot any boats with my 50 cal.
I might take a whack ot two today at some with my Don Bradley cricket bat.
Bradman.

You've been away too long BP.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett