Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Out:
We can make the centerline opening window work in terms of clearance. But I am not going to make that call. I will leave that to the owner. I am concerned about leaks and also about having one window that does not match the other windows in terms of frame design. Although, given that it is tucked just aft of the mizzen mast you probably would not notice it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
For a new custom design I would charge $120 USD an hour to prepare the design and I would estimate the total cost of design at between 8.5% and 10% of the total build cost. So, if we are talking about working with a good yard I'd estimate the design fee at $34,000 USD. This price can increase if the client wants fulll 3D renderings of the interior layout. We are doing that more and more these days.
Damnit! I guess that screws up my chances of getting one of your builds for a six pack of Miller Lite? All this being nice to you, all for nothin. Not even a Hometown Discount??? Fine, have it your way. I guess I am back to Brent.

Heya, Brent, need some plans, Bro. I own a screw driver, and borrowed a hack saw. I am ready. We will name this yacht the Bob Perry. BIG FREAKING LETTERS all over the stern, side, bow, what tha hell, even across the bottom of the hull as I suspect that is what most will see when I hit that reef. I got one all picked out too...

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-02-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Brent:
Be careful with the "extreme ugliness" call. We have seeen your work.

"They all have one thing in common. They alll leave the helmsman in an open cockpit as the only steeriing option; bad seamanship, of the most naive and pretentious kind ." Brent Swain.
Brent you continue to amaze me with what you don't know.

And as for all those designers on my list leaving the helmsman unprotected, that just shows ignorance of their work. I could list designs wth protected cockpits by all of thse designers but I won't. Reality means little to you so why waste my time.

"What do you charge for plans for a 36'er?
Well Brent, that would depend on if we are talking about a custom design or one of my existing designs. For a new custom design I would charge $120 USD an hour to prepare the design and I would estimate the total cost of design at between 8.5% and 10% of the total build cost. So, if we are talking about working with a good yard I'd estimate the design fee at $34,000 USD. This price can increase if the client wants fulll 3D renderings of the interior layout. We are doing that more and more these days.

If we are talking about an existing design I would try to make sure it was a new design of mine so it represented what I am doing today and I would probably charge $10,000 USD. I would assume that I would be doing some custom work to the design for that buyer. If the buyer is not willing to spend $10,000 for the desig then I don't think he wil be willing to build the boat to my standard of finish. I value my design work highly and I will not sell it cheap. I honestly can't remember that last set of "stock plans" I sold. I think my pricing eliminates most home builders. It's not my market.

If an owner of one of my designs wants plans of his boat for reference I will sell him a full set for betweem $350 and $500 depending on how many drawings are involved. But this is not for building a boat.

But, fact is I don't want to work with home builders unless I know them well and they have proven they can build a boat to my standard. I am working with one right now. It's his second boat to my plans. He is a master craftsman. The first was a 44'er that he cruised extensively and the new boat is a 28' motor sailer, twin rudders, square top main and a fast hull with a lifting bulb keel. It's a custom design. I prefer to work with established, quality yards.

Jak:
You can get some really good BBQ in Oakland. And YOSHI's down in Jack London Square is a great sushi bar and jazz club.
Yup.Great Place. I actually like Oakland alot.It has much going for it.It has some 'management' problems but there are tons of pluses the media ignores.San Francisco has become oh so pretentious and EXPENSIVE.A Sunset bungalow, built on the GI bill for $4,000 is now in the 1 million range.Nuts.As for home built boats I hear ya there.The problem is boats designed for amatures look like it.Even if well done they still have that half done look.even restoring older boats Ive seen people get delusional.As I mentioned in a previous post Ive been offered a 'free' boat. I took a serious inventory of what it needed just to get it so I could sail it on the bay and thought forget it.I saw an older alberg 30 "restored", the owner tried to put lots of wood trim on where there wasnt before an rolled on some awlgrip on the hull without proper prep.He then had in his mind a 50 foot interior on a 22' waterline and got frustrated or just worn out before it was finished. It looked like it.Definitely not like in Don Caseys book!.The only way I would build a boat is if I could work on it full time,like 40 hours a week minimum.I just cant see it being done on weekends after working all week or a couple hours a day after work.After work I am not much good for anything remotely difficult,Maybe watching Star Trek.
Old 07-02-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Out:
We added that hatch over the overhang area to help with ventilation and the view of the rig. It was not something I thought was necessary but I was not adamantly against it either. We are now contemplating having the center window in the front of the house be opening. You can never have too much ventilation.
Bob, I have a hard dodger on my boat (Divinycell/fiberglass construction), though perhaps not as elegant as yours. I have a forward opening hatch on top between the solar panels and an opening hatch in the windscreen. I can tell you that the opening hatch in the windscreen lets in plenty of air and keeps everything cool. It's worth installing.
Old 07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Damnit! I guess that screws up my chances of getting one of your builds for a six pack of Miller Lite? All this being nice to you, all for nothin. Not even a Hometown Discount??? Fine, have it your way. I guess I am back to Brent.

Heya, Brent, need some plans, Bro. I own a screw driver, and borrowed a hack saw. I am ready. We will name this yacht the Bob Perry. BIG FREAKING LETTERS all over the stern, side, bow, what tha hell, even across the bottom of the hull as I suspect that is what most will see when I hit that reef. I got one all picked out too...

Brian
Brian, in all fairness, Bob Perry and Brent Swain design for completely different markets. Brent's boats are for the home builder. Many of his boats come out looking very nice indeed, but they are not going to look like a production boat with all the fiddly details. They are simpler, purpose-built cruising boats, but quite elegant when done well. I bought Brent's book some years ago with the intention of building his 31 footer in aluminium. These are very interesting and solid boats with a lot of extremely practical solutions. For the home builder, I can't think of a better design.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 07-02-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Brian, in all fairness, Bob Perry and Brent Swain design for completely different markets. Brent's boats are for the home builder. Many of his boats come out looking very nice indeed, but they are not going to look like a production boat with all the fiddly details. They are simpler, purpose-built cruising boats, but quite elegant when done well. I bought Brent's book some years ago with the intention of building his 31 footer in aluminium. These are very interesting and solid boats with a lot of extremely practical solutions. For the home builder, I can't think of a better design.
I have said many times on here, and will say it again: I like what Brent does, I just do not like how he does it. And many of the things he says are so far off of reality that I find myself mystified they are the same person.

Brian
SloopJonB likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-02-2013

Brian, I try not to get bogged down in the quibbling. I like his boats and the ones that follow his plans turn out quite nice indeed. I like Bob Perry's boats too.
Old 07-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Think if going for the home builder the various size "Spray"'s make a lot of sense as well as some of the Dudley Dix designs. See fine home built steel boats everywhere if you just look. Some of the radius chine designs are quite handsome.
Old 07-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Also would look at Alan Pape's designs - very classic.
Old 07-02-2013

Dudly Dix has some very nice designs. The advantage of origami construction is the time saving.
Brent Swain likes this.