Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Copa:
Exactly what I have been saying all along. I do not design for the clients that Brent attracts and I do not want to and vice versa for Brent.

My problem with Brent is that he says some very ignorant things about the world of yacht design. For instance:
"They all have one thing in common. They alll leave the helmsman in an open cockpit as the only steeriing option; bad seamanship, of the most naive and pretentious kind ." Brent Swain.

Has Brent ever studied the designs of the world's great designers? It seems not. If he had he would never have made a statement like that.

My own design YONI built in alu. has a very comfortable inside steering position. That's just one. I have many more. I think one of my favorites is STEPALAH built in alu in Holland. It's comfortable, very fast and is a home for a world cruising German family. They love it.

Dad:
I have "sold " plans for less than a six pack. I once went to a party where the host showed me plans he had just bought for a steel boat he was going to build. The boat was so poorly designed I told him" Hell, I'll give you a set of plans just to prevent you from building that boat." I did and he did build it and it came out very nice.

More work today at PSC with the mock up pilot house now on the grp deck so we could get a better look at portlight sizes and placement. I am very pleased with the look of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-port-mock-up-ph.jpg   Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-loon-close-up.jpg   Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-stepalah.pic1-013.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Copa:
Exactly what I have been saying all along. I do not design for the clients that Brent attracts and I do not want to and vice versa for Brent.

My problem with Brent is that he says some very ignorant things about the world of yacht design. For instance:
"They all have one thing in common. They alll leave the helmsman in an open cockpit as the only steeriing option; bad seamanship, of the most naive and pretentious kind ." Brent Swain.

Has Brent ever studied the designs of the world's great designers? It seems not. If he had he would never have made a statement like that.

My own design YONI built in alu. has a very comfortable inside steering position. That's just one. I have many more. I think one of my favorites is STEPALAH built in alu in Holland. It's comfortable, very fast and is a home for a world cruising German family. They love it.

Dad:
I have "sold " plans for less than a six pack. I once went to a party where the host showed me plans he had just bought for a steel boat he was going to build. The boat was so poorly designed I told him" Hell, I'll give you a set of plans just to prevent you from building that boat." I did and he did build it and it came out very nice.

More work today at PSC with the mock up pilot house now on the grp deck so we could get a better look at portlight sizes and placement. I am very pleased with the look of the boat.
Loon is it Bob.Thats more or less my ideal.Very nice.
Old 07-02-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
Thanks. LOON is timber built with inside and outside steering stations.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-loon-afr-quarter.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-02-2013

Quote:
Jak:
Thanks. LOON is timber built with inside and outside steering stations.
Yup, very nice, lovely lines,to bad about the timber thing though.If she hits a dead head it'll be curtains.Hey I have an idea, How about a 3rd steering station up the mast.One of those buckets the tuna fisherman use.what do you think?.
Old 07-02-2013
grumpy old man

Well,,,,,ok. But only if you let me put a hard dodger over it.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-02-2013

Quote:
Well,,,,,ok. But only if you let me put a hard dodger over it.
Oh ok,Only if it riveted copper sheeting though.In case of lightening strike it will be like faraday cage.
Old 07-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Was surprised how hard it is to do a hard dodger "right". Needs to blend into the boat to not be an eye sore.
That's why so many hard dodgers and pilothouse type structures are so ugly. Bob will know a lot better than me how hard it is but I sure don't have to take my socks off to count the number of designers who do it well.

I particularly liked Bill Garden's - his use of overhanging tops always looked great to me. I saw one of his Walloon's fresh out of the Bel-Aire shipyard - it was built for the yard owner. I must have stood on the dock for more than an hour just drinking it in - Gawd it was perfect.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Think if going for the home builder the various size "Spray"'s make a lot of sense as well as some of the Dudley Dix designs. See fine home built steel boats everywhere if you just look. Some of the radius chine designs are quite handsome.
Home built boats get a bad rap because of the higher proportion of failures and abortions compared to pro built boats. I have seen many home builts that were the equal of nearly anything out there. I've seen ferro boats that were indistinguishable from glass built by a good yard.

Take a look through one of Bruce Roberts books and you will see many finely crafted boats. Oz & N.Z. seem to have a higher rate of success than we do here but that could simply be that I'm more familiar with what goes on here.

I basically regard boats & people the same way - I take each one individually, as they come and make my judgements individually. Profiling is as inaccurate for one as it is for the other.
JomsViking likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Dudly Dix has some very nice designs. The advantage of origami construction is the time saving.
The framelessness, dramatically fewer weld lines and the roundness of most of the hull are big pluses as well.

Old 07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That's why so many hard dodgers and pilothouse type structures are so ugly. Bob will know a lot better than me how hard it is but I sure don't have to take my socks off to count the number of designers who do it well.

I particularly liked Bill Garden's - his use of overhanging tops always looked great to me. I saw one of his Walloon's fresh out of the Bel-Aire shipyard - it was built for the yard owner. I must have stood on the dock for more than an hour just drinking it in - Gawd it was perfect.
I devoured His 2 books of yacht designs when I was a kid.They were worn ragged.I wrote to him, I was 15 or so, about his Bull Frog design, The revision with the wheel house and the boomless gaff main. I wanted to sound grown up and like I knew what I was talking about.I asked him about building her in WEST system and about getting plans.He wrote back a long letter about Bull Frog and her sisters and about practical boatbuilding.He was patient and gave alot of great information but said he was getting older and not working so much anymore.A class act.I saw the original Bull Frog here in the bay a couple of years ago.She was for sale for $5,ooo.I didnt have the money at the time or I would have snatched her up.She needed alot of work. I am not sure what happended to her since then.I hope she is in good hands.