Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Brent-your comments suggest as long as you can build inside and can use a gas environment for your tig welder you be better off in Al. Guess you have to go to the Netherlands to see well constructed steel pro made yachts.
Old 07-02-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I was speaking about the craftsmanship, not the designs.

Or were you referring to my comment about the Oz amateurs appearing to be better than here?

While I am no fan of Roberts as such I have seen more than the odd one or two non professional Roberts "designed" boats that were very well put together.

Seen some horrors as well but then some of Joe Adams designs and lets face it Joe was in another realm altogether to Roberts that were rubbish. Same could well be said of Van de Stadt.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Nothing saves your bacon no matter what. Steel just exponentially improves the odds, the definition of good seamanship improving the odds. How many Sleavin family type disasters could be avoided had they not been discouraged by disinformation, from choosing a steel boat? It would have saved theirs.
Thats like saying an SUV makes you a better driver because if you smash into a Honda you'll be fine, Whoa!.Or,by way of analogy,If I buy $100,000,000 in the California Lotto it exponentially increases my odds, well, its still 39 to 1,Thats not great.Hull material doesnt make you a better mariner.And the Sleavins were talked out of buying a steel boat?, And you know this?.

Last edited by jak3b; 07-03-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Aev:
We could try a hard dodger on your boat. But it is really hard to retrofit a hard dodger on a boat that was not designed for it originally. That said, if anyone can do it, I can do it.

Smackers:
I think that was very insightful of you. Brent does rely on fear to sell his steel boats. They are not yachts.

Brent:
Truth is I can't build anything. Spike could weld and he was a master at metal craft. He didn't mind dirty hands. He was never really proud of his dirty hands but he lived with them. I have no skills with tools. None. Zero. But I can design and I rely on skilled guys to bring my designs to life. I admire those guys and many times they make me look good. It's a good combination, i.e. good design and skilled building. It has worked very well for me.

Company is gone. Dishwasher is loaded. Lamb chops were great. Salad was fine ( I added arugalla). Wine was very good. Time now to relax and wait for the cat to come in. Too many critters around the beach to leave her out at night. She has her own time table. When the hunting dies down she'll come in. Till then I'll wait and watch for her. She is an important part of my life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Aev:
We could try a hard dodger on your boat. But it is really hard to retrofit a hard dodger on a boat that was not designed for it originally. That said, if anyone can do it, I can do it.

Smackers:
I think that was very insightful of you. Brent does rely on fear to sell his steel boats. They are not yachts.

Brent:
Truth is I can't build anything. Spike could weld and he was a master at metal craft. He didn't mind dirty hands. He was never really proud of his dirty hands but he lived with them. I have no skills with tools. None. Zero. But I can design and I rely on skilled guys to bring my designs to life. I admire those guys and many times they make me look good. It's a good combination, i.e. good design and skilled building. It has worked very well for me.

Company is gone. Dishwasher is loaded. Lamb chops were great. Salad was fine ( I added arugalla). Wine was very good. Time now to relax and wait for the cat to come in. Too many critters around the beach to leave her out at night. She has her own time table. When the hunting dies down she'll come in. Till then I'll wait and watch for her. She is an important part of my life.
I hope in my next life I am a cat.Mine used to bring back dead moles and mice, small birds.shed be so proud.One time she brought back half a squirl.The lower half.It looked it had been chopped in half with butchers knife.I wonder how the hell she did that.
Old 07-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

My cat is Pumpkin. My wife found her on the side of the road after seeing her go in and out of the bushes for a month. My wife brought home the night before Halloween. I said, "Get that feral cat out of here." In ten maybe five minutes the cat had crawled up onto my chest and was purring and drooling. That was four years ago.

She is in the house now. She'd like to be out hunting but I want her in. She means too much to me. I'm kind of a protective kind of guy. She likes me and I like her.
Attached Thumbnails
Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat-pumpkin-bob2.jpg  
jak3b likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-03-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

But will pumpkin take rides on your sailboat?!?!?!?!

Mr winston does sometimes.......

or sleep in the V-berth?!?!

or just act cute!
jak3b likes this.
Old 07-03-2013

My sister lives outside of Boston near Worcester she used to let her cats come and go as they please,Now she brings them in at night to.Coyotes will get them. When I was a kid in New England the only place I ever saw a Coyote was on the road runner cartoon.Now they are all over.I see them out here all the time near goldengate park and lands end.Lots of racoons to.Not to many cats here in SF.Way to many dogs.Everyone has dogs.There is more dogs then children.Weird

Last edited by jak3b; 07-03-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have always had cats-sometimes with dogs. Had a Feral Maine Coon Cat that was so ferocious the vet had to dart him a couple of times to give him his shots before we could let him in the house with the other ones. She still needed welding gloves up to her elbows to handle him. Once he was snipped chilled right out. Makes me worry when I sleep. Good thing the Admiral loves me and puts up with my nonsense.
Would love to see a bald headed fishing schooner of the Mass not Maine type done in steel and a true pilot house aft ( cockpit forward of that) of 60-70'. Some of the old designs were so beautiful and being working boats the ergonomics/liveability made perfect sense.
Old 07-03-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

To Mr. Perry:

A few months ago I contacted you to ask about the "ponding" issue I was having on either side of the cockpit, on the outer deck of my 1986 CT 56.

Well, amazingly I discovered that the prior owner had FILLED IN the 1 inch gap / trough between the teak deck and the toe rail / gunnels, which was thoughtfully designed into this boat, (by you I assume), with some sort of caulking!!!

Once I removed this caulking, the standing water issue went away too.

Just thought I would like to thank you for a seemingly minor design element which nevertheless has made life aboard this vessel much better. In the winter this standing water invaribly froze up, creating a nice slippery ice arena right in front of each of the gates through the life lines.

Thank you!
Doug Sabbag

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.