Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Now THAT I agree with, Brent. Who on earth would even conceive the preposterous idea of using wood for a gun barrel? Ludicrous!

Oh, yeah, it was you.

You're now arguing with yourself, dude.
Jeff said a wooden gun barrel would work if not for the heat.
Old 07-03-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Oooooh macho fighting talk.This is now officially pathetic.Are you f'ing kidding me?.We are in a sailing forum.Brent, I like your approach.I like steel but you are seriously needing some help.How old are you?.Im 51,Ive never had any need to fight,carry guns,shot anything or harm anyone and Ive lived and worked in many tough ass sketchy neighborhoods on both coasts.You sound like a scared bully to me.Like WTF do you have to prove?.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I would never consider screwing a client out of money which I don't need...
Bob can take care of himself - but I think we've pretty much proven that not only does your "$35K" steel boat "screw" that boater out of $35K (plus a hell of a lot more to have a nice boat) - it also "screws" that boater out of years of his life because he has to figure out how to build/wire/plumb/outfit/etc. a steel boat in his backyard - AFTER he's paid you your money. THEN he has to spend the rest of his life trying to keep that aesthetically challenged thing off the rocks.

By my simple calculations - that's Screwed X 4 Brent.

He would be MUCH, MUCH better off buying a used FG boat and going sailing than listening to your advice and/or giving you a single dime that you "don't need".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
Thats like saying an SUV makes you a better driver because if you smash into a Honda you'll be fine, Whoa!.Or,by way of analogy,If I buy $100,000,000 in the California Lotto it exponentially increases my odds, well, its still 39 to 1,Thats not great.Hull material doesnt make you a better mariner.And the Sleavins were talked out of buying a steel boat?, And you know this?.
The propaganda against steel boats, spread by those who are trying to sell something else, have sent many families to sea in boats which are far less able to survive a collision with anything . The Sleavins may have been one such example , among how many more, we will never know.
The best seamanship in the world wont prevent you from hitting Fukashima debris on a foggy night. ( Like that huge concrete dock which floated up on an Oregon beach) A steel hull will drastically improve your odds of surviving. I once built a 36 for a doctor who had sailed his Spencer 35 to New Zealand and back to BC. He said the peace of mind sailing at night in a steel hull, with his family aboard , was exponentially greater than in his fibreglass hull.
You can find his latest adventures by doing a search under Silas Crosby.
Old 07-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Jeff said a wooden gun barrel would work if not for the heat.
Yet again, Brent, you're wrong. It was you that came up with the wooden barrel crap per the quote I posted above.

Here's what Jeff said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
As to gun barrels, they are made from steel for material behavior reasons that has nothing to do strength concerns. Steel conducts heat much more effectively than composites. In the case of a gun barrel, one of the prime concerns is being able to keep it cool and there steel is more effective than composites.
What other BS do you want to try to pass off as true? You do realize your credibility is sinking faster than a fiberglass yacht, right?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-03-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brent:
I don't like getting my hands dirty. I have done just fine keeping my hands clean in my own office since 1973. To paraphrase that old SNL line, "Yacht design has been very good to me." I find that working over the years with the standard, age old tools of yacht design and today the computer there is really no reason for me to get my hands dirty. I have thousands of boats on the water and clean hands.

You are just going to have to buck up and face it Brent. We live in very different worlds. I am quite content in mine and I hope that you are content in yours although by the angry sound of your posts you seem less than content. You sound like you are always trying to prove something. I have no idea what it could be.

Right now I am going to prove that I can BBQ lamb loin chops and make a Caesar salad from scratch. Go ahead and rant on. I'll catch up later.
Basically Bob , I am trying to prove that those without mega bucks can build and go to sea in boats which don't cost a fortune ,with gear that doesn't cost a fortune, but which are much better boats and gear for their purposes, than the commercial builders and ship swindlers are selling.I have been proving that steel boat building has ignored the advantages that the material has inherently, and stuck doggedly to outdated ,imitation wooden boat building methods, which fail to take advantage of the material , keeping the material stuck in a1950s time warp when it comes to realizing its potential. I have proven that any skilled home builder can save himself a fortune, and end up with far more reliable gear, and boats , by building his own boat and gear, and questioning consumerism propaganda.

Don't get too concerned about my happiness, I am going to for another swim then for a supper of venison steak. I wouldn't change places with anyone. Semi retired since my mid 20's . Someone has to set a good example for the rest of society! I volenteered decades ago.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2013

Quote:
Yet again, Brent, you're wrong. It was you that came up with the wooden barrel crap per the quote I posted above.

Here's what Jeff said:

What other BS do you want to try to pass off as true? You do realize your credibility is sinking faster than a fiberglass yacht, right?
The prime concern with a wooden gun barrel is heat? Not strength?
Without the heat, wood could stand the pressure? Nothing to do with strength concerns?
Thanks for making my point. You couldn't have made it any clearer.
Old 07-03-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
The prime concern with a wooden gun barrel is heat? Not strength?
Without the heat, wood could stand the pressure? Nothing to do with strength concerns?
Thanks for making my point. You couldn't have made it any clearer.
Again, he never said anything about a wooden gun barrel. You did.

Quote:
Then you could also do wooden gun barrels .
Jeff was talking about the properties of steel.

Do you really want to keep trying to make this work?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-03-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2013

Quote:
Bob can take care of himself - but I think we've pretty much proven that not only does your "$35K" steel boat "screw" that boater out of $35K (plus a hell of a lot more to have a nice boat) - it also "screws" that boater out of years of his life because he has to figure out how to build/wire/plumb/outfit/etc. a steel boat in his backyard - AFTER he's paid you your money. THEN he has to spend the rest of his life trying to keep that aesthetically challenged thing off the rocks.

By my simple calculations - that's Screwed X 4 Brent.

He would be MUCH, MUCH better off buying a used FG boat and going sailing than listening to your advice and/or giving you a single dime that you "don't need".
Then why do so many ,who have started with a fibreglass boat, eventually gravitate to one of mine, once they have a bit of offshore experience, far more than you have ever had, after talking to other experienced cruisers in my boats? Why do 8 out of 10 experienced circumnavigators in Jimmy Cornell's book prefer a metal boat?
Tell us more about the boats you have built and designed.
Kinda blows your credibility!
Old 07-03-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Then why do so many ,who have started with a fibreglass boat, eventually gravitate to one of mine, once they have a bit of offshore experience, far more than you have ever had? Why do 8 out of 10 experienced circumnavigators in Jimmy Cornell's book prefer a metal boat?
Kinda blow s your credibility!
Again, your're bouncing back-and-forth between two completely different things. You keep preaching to the "99% home builder" that building one of your boats is the cheapest, smartest thing they could possibly do if they just want to "step off the treadmill and cruise".

It's not. And you've already admitted that in this thread.

Buying a used FG boat makes FAR more sense for that 99%er who simply wants to cruise. Period. End of story.

Then, if they decide they want to circumnavigate slowly, or go through the NW passage, or hit rocks - they can always fall for your schpiel...ahm steel...and start welding.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-03-2013 at 10:21 PM.