SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   '83 Jason 35 hull thickness??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/98975-83-jason-35-hull-thickness.html)

Jace2 04-29-2013 12:07 PM

'83 Jason 35 hull thickness???

Found a Jason 35 for sale. A ted Brewer design. Lots of work needed, but it''s cheap. Only thing . . .

I'm trying to find out the hull thickness of the vessel, but being that it is a relatively rare boat, I can't find anything on the above question. It's currently in the water, so I can check a seacock.

Well, I suppose I can, but it just might piss off the owner.

Anyone . . . anyone . . .?

Keck

bobperry 04-29-2013 12:43 PM

Re: '83 Jason 35 hull thickness???

Why don't you try to get ahold of Earl Miller in Poulsbo WA. He built the boat and he might know. I don't have a number for him anymore. Maybe try Liberty Bay Marina. It's a small place. Someoine will know how to find Earl.

Jace2 04-29-2013 05:42 PM

I called them, bobperry, and they said they don't know anything about Mr. Miller. They bought the marina from him years ago, and that is as much as they could tell me. However, I left my number and they said the guy who knows boats would give me a call back, so maybe something will turn up on the that hull.

Thanks for the info.

kwaltersmi 05-03-2013 01:21 PM

Maybe Ted can shed some light on the construction of this Jason. His contact info is here.

Jace2 05-03-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks so much for that link, I'll check it.

deniseO30 05-03-2013 01:35 PM

Jace, would you be obsessing about the hull thickness just a little? Clearly the boat must have some kind of structure that has helped it survive this long.

Nice boat!
http://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?file_id=8356

Jace2 05-03-2013 02:03 PM

Ummm . . . I don't think so, Denise. I've heard that some boats have hulls no more than 3/8ths of an inch thick. Not only that, I've been in construction my whole life and have seen first hand multi-million dollar homes built with woefully inferior materials. One would think big name, expensive things would have only the best in forming them.

Not so.

By the way, I called and talked to the man himself, Mr. Ted Brewer. He was very kind but said he'd have to go back and get out the original specs to find out the hull thickness. He also invited me to call him back about building a bow sprit, so I'm appreciative of that.

I guess if I'm not satisfied with the hull thickness I can always add layers to it myself. It's in pretty rough shape and will have to have a complete re-fit, anyway.

bobperry 05-03-2013 03:30 PM

Ok, so you have a hull thickness at the sheer of 3/8" on a 35' boat. What would make you think that this is inadequate? How thick do you think it should be on a 35' boat?

The bowsprit is a good idea. That boat was notorious for bad weather helm. If the boat is unfinished I'd give serious thought to moving the mast forward.

Jace2 05-03-2013 04:08 PM

My '68 Coronado 25 hull which I'm trying to sell, is a little over an inch thick. The hull is over an inch thick, not the '68 Coronado 25. Well, actually the Coronado is over an inch thick too, but I meant the hull. And I'm trying to sell the whole boat, not just the hull.

Little literary linguistisization, there.

Anyway, Brewer said moving the mast a foot or so forward would cure the weather helm, but from what I hear, a sprit would do the same thing. And I'd kind of like a sprit. I think they look nice and would give a bit more wind-catching ability for more power. Or am I wrong on that? About the wind-catching ability, not the looking nice.

bobperry 05-03-2013 04:13 PM

The Valiant 40 is 3/8" thick at the sheer. They haven't been falling apart for the last 39 years. Coronado 25 an inch thick? That is crazy. I'd have to see it to believe it.

Best to do both, move the mast forward and add the sprit. But you can't just guess at it. Work with Ted to do it right. "Wind catching ability"? Now you're getting technical with me Never heard of that term before. If you mean "add more sail area" then yes.