SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   List to Starboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/99014-list-starboard.html)

katsailor 04-30-2013 09:36 AM

List to Starboard

My new to me 1983 Offshore 33 (11' beam, 13500#) lists to starboard by several degrees. There is no miscellaneous equipment stored on the boat and the engine is removed. The PO removed a section of the starboard settee and installed a cobbed together folding table. Outside of that modification the boat is original but may be missing the original table in the cabin I have seen in photos of other boats.

Is this normal in a boat that is corrected by adding ballast or should it be level?

Faster 04-30-2013 09:37 AM

Re: List to Starboard

Where are/ how full/empty are your water and fuel tanks? If our water tank is full and our fuel tank not (or vice versa) we have a list too....

I wouldn't add ballast but I'd be careful about where I stored tools, foodstuffs, and liquids in an effort to 'trim' the list.

chucklesR 04-30-2013 09:40 AM

Water, fuel and batteries can add significant weight. Check out where they (tanks etc.) are then worry only if they are dead center (not likely).

20 gallons of diesel, 40 of water, and a couple hundred pounds of batteries make a difference.
Heck, rail meat makes a huge difference.

katsailor 04-30-2013 09:44 AM

I pulled the batteries last weekend, the only one left is powering the bilge pump and sitting next to the mast. My fuel, waste and water tanks are installed on the centerline of the boat.

Head is located to port and galley to starboard so they should balance each other. Both booms are secured on centerline.

Faster 04-30-2013 09:53 AM

Was the list there before removing batteries??

svHyLyte 04-30-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katsailor (Post 1023296)
I pulled the batteries last weekend, the only one left is powering the bilge pump and sitting next to the mast. My fuel, waste and water tanks are installed on the centerline of the boat.

Head is located to port and galley to starboard so they should balance each other. Both booms are secured on centerline.

Are you sure the yacht is healing or is the mast out of plumb? Hang a plumb bob from the spinnaker crane at the mast head and see where it ends up on deck. The suspension line should be parallel to the mast all the way down. To check the hull, set a bucket of colored water on the sole amidships in the accommodation. Once it settles, the water surface should be at the same level below the rim from port to starboard.

bobperry 04-30-2013 12:27 PM

Lots oif boats list a bit. It really doesn't matter much once you are under sail but it can be annoying in the slip. Do what you can with what gear you have aboard to correct it and if this doesnt work you can add some trim ballast. I found trim ballast under the galley stove on a brand new Sabre at the Annapolis Boat show.

Determine how much ballast you need by having a friend stand on deck and moving outboard until the list is corrected. My seat of the pants guess for your boat will be about 500 ft. lbs. (weight in pounds times distance in feet) to correct one degree. So if you need a 3 degree correction you will need 1,500 ft. lbs. of ballast or 428 lbs. of lead 3.5' off centerline. But first I would do everything possible to fix the list without adding weight.

katsailor 04-30-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1023299)
Was the list there before removing batteries??

yes and they also mount on the centerline

olson34 04-30-2013 04:07 PM

I'm votin' with Bob...
:cool:

For instance all of the Olson 34's list slightly to port, and so did ours when we bought it.
After I changed out the starb. settee water tank from the stock 23 gallon plastic to an SS tank holding 38 gallons, zero list -full tank- at the dock.
:rolleyes:

Since the Admiral loves having lots of water available to clean the dishes (and I would rather dry them than wash them) it was a classic win-win solution.

Loren