SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Suggestion Box

673 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  eherlihy 
#1 ·
If you have suggestions for the forum itself please post them here so they don't get lost amidst conversations. If possible, try to have discussions about a suggestion/request in another thread and just leave this to the final request/suggestion (we'll see if that works).

#2 ·
Hi Donna,

One reason that there is not more participation in the Instructor Forum is that activity here does not show up in the "Active Topics" link on the header.

While I can see my post about "ASA not longer..." in the "Recent Discussions" sidebar, I don't frequently check that. Instead, I usually click on "Active Topics" and scroll down until I see something that interests me, or until I see another post that I have read (which means that there is nothing new that interests me).

I realize that this may have been implemented this way to prevent people without membership in the Instructors Forum from seeing what the discussions are in the Instructor area. However, I can't see any harm in those that are not instructors knowing that we are discussing something. Heck, if the general SailNet population knew that we are more active, it might cause more instructors to seek out access.

#3 ·
Alrighty. I hear you. Your new posts show up in New Posts but I don't see them in Active Topics. If you want others to know that the forum is out there, I'm OK with that, but is there any objection to helping the mods answer the inevitable questions about why the forum is locked down to only instructors?

I'm OK with whichever way you all agree to go.

#4 ·
I don't see them in Active Topics either, and that is the issue.

WRT helping the mods address why the forum is locked down; wasn't there a thread on that? I can't seem to find it after 10 min of searching, but I remember it. Some hated the idea, and decided it was elitist... I suspect that most didn't care.

#6 ·
It appears that in order to include the forum in Active Topics, everyone will be able to see everything that you discuss even if they can't contribute. If that's what you want, why have a private forum?

#7 ·
Thanks for looking into this Donna.

Ideally, the general forum members would be able to see the thread title, and last "reply-er" but not the content. It seems that this may be too much. I have edited and posted my question to the larger community.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.