How Big Is Your Dinghy - SailNet Community
Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: How Big Is Your Dinghy
Smaller 1 1.52%
6' 0 0%
7'6" 6 9.09%
8' 2" 18 27.27%
9' 12 18.18%
Bigger 29 43.94%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

How Big Is Your Dinghy

I'm in the market for a new dinghy, something I can hang a motor on, I'm getting tiered of rowing in circles in my current blow up toy...

I currently have a West Marine "Mini Dinghy" and a 27' boat, at 6' the dinghy fits nicely on the fore deck but with two people and a "small" dog it gets pretty crowded, also with no motor it's a hassle to "shuttle" several people from boat to shore...

I can see this is going to be an area of "compromise" as I would like a 10' RIB with 20 hp motor and center console but don't have the room for one nor the sail power to drag one along...I have seen the 6' solid back air floor dinghy from Mercury, but with the extended sponsons, is smaller interior than my current dinghy...

Next size up is a 7'6" unit or an 8' unit...both a little large for the fore deck, but I like the extra room...9' and 10' are going to be just to large to be practical...

So how do you choose a size.. do I go for interior comfort and room and put up with storage hassles, or stay small and stowable and put up with minimal room and multiple trips to shore...?

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-31-2015

Re: How Big Is Your Dinghy

Quote:
How Big Is Your Dinghy
Snicker. Yes, I'm 12 years old.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #3 of 45 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Come on now... serious question...

Do you sacrifice comfort or convenience?
Attached Thumbnails
1235206_10151576035437466_1212168458_n.jpg  
Minnesail likes this.

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
post #4 of 45 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post

So how do you choose a size.. do I go for interior comfort and room and put up with storage hassles, or stay small and stowable and put up with minimal room and multiple trips to shore...?
This is such a difficult question. I know you're asking about inflatables, but even though we row a hard dinghy, it's all the same for me. Here's my opinion: For a tender, I want the biggest size that is reasonable for my use(which is tow everywhere).

For our coastal sailing towing works well. We have a real boat for rowing or sailing, safely, with a good sized load(3-4 adults and some gear).

Whatever you do, don't live with too small a dinghy, it's worthless with a load, and dangerous.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #5 of 45 Old 12-31-2015

it depends on your boating style... but the obvious answer is that you have to sacrifice comfort for convenience.... if this were not so, we would all have big roomy dinghys, with cabins and big motors being towed along behind our little sailboats, with the hopeful thought that we never have to ship it on deck to make a passage.

its kind of like buying any size of boat where every feature of it is a tradeoff.... one has to consider how its going to be used, how many people needs to fit in it, where its going to kept, and how much money you want to spend on it and its upkeep..

it make little difference how big, or how small someone elses dinghy is, as it is a choice of personal preferences... you may have to own a couple of different models before you find the best fit for you...
post #6 of 45 Old 12-31-2015

IMHO...

* If you can't carry it on davits or easily hoist it on deck, it's useless and possibly hazardous. I would never tow a dingy, and before I got davits (prior 27' boat) I did not.

* If you can't do davits, do a sit-in kayak. Easy to paddle, fun, and seaworthy. Can also haul more than non-kayakers believe.

* If you must have a dingy with a motor on a 27' boat, go small, 8.5' sport boat with 3.5hp max. Unless you are actually a power boater passing as a sailor. Try to find a 2-stroke. But for a 27' boat I feel this is a mistake. Anchor closer.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-31-2015
Don't give up the ship!

Just fits on the bow...that's the right size.
post #8 of 45 Old 12-31-2015
Boat Bum

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #9 of 45 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
12' Cobra fish n dive kayak . Rides on the side deck or tows easily. Paddles well and damn near unsinkable.
Carrys alot more than you think, one time down outside of LaPaz I loaded mine with 5 gal diesel 2 30 pks of beer and a fat Mexican chick.
it seems to me that you may have been one chick overloaded....
post #10 of 45 Old 12-31-2015

Bigger than yours apparently.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Squidd (12-31-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.