Do you burn your socks? - SailNet Community
Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-10-2017 Thread Starter
░░░░░░░░░░

Do you burn your socks?

No really.
Article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal starts off by announcing that this was the weekend that all sailors get together and burn their socks to mark the end of winter and the start of sailing season in an ancient ritual.

And eventually goes on to concede it isn't so ancient but "all over" the US east and Guld coast, sailors do this following a celebration that one Annapolis boatbuilder started in 1978. Apparently he was shaving aluminum and the shavings were sticking in his winter socks until he reached a point where he said * this it's time to go sailing and invited the yard staff to have some beers and burn some socks that were ruined by all those metal shavings.

I must hang around with the wrong folks, I've never witnessed, much less even heard of, such a gathering. Anyone here?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-10-2017

Re: Do you burn your socks?

Burning my socks would likely kill any living thing in a mile radius. So I just wash them now and then.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 20 Old 04-10-2017
4KSB driver.

Dock

The wife and I made a road trip yesterday in the convertible to check on progress of the dockmaster, putting docks in.. does that count as a ritual? Weather was 70 degrees exactly.

You see, in our neck of the woods, the lakes turn solid for much of the winter. Great for ice sailing, not so good for boats. The lake also has a variable elevation, and a mandate that no pilings be installed... so all floating docks are removed yearly, and plopped back into the water come last sign of freezing. Actually our dockmaster does most of the work of putting in docks across the lake. He's a busy guy, and puts in extended hours in Spring and Fall. He's been awful good to us sailing folks who KNOW the sailing is better in Early Spring, so he usually gets a dock or 2 in early so us crazies can launch when the water temp is merely 50 degrees

Our ritual will be to bother him every chance we get to see where he stands. You know if he'd let us help, we might have half the lake done (at least until our docks get in)..

COME ON WARM WEATHER!
oysterman23 likes this.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-10-2017

On my little lake they don't remove the floating docks, they just tow them out to the middle of the lake and anchor them there. I guess the theory is that they don't get damaged from ice if they're free to move around, but if they were left attached to shore the movement of the ice pack could crush them.

Anyway, my ritual is to go by the lake and see if they've put the docks back in place yet. No go so far.

First the docks go back, then they pull and inspect the bottom equipment for the mooring balls, then finally they attach the mooring balls. Then it's sailing time!

Tomorrow night is the drawing for moorings. I hope I get picked early so I get the ball I want. Come on lucky number 45!
SHNOOL likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 20 Old 04-10-2017
Fortuitous

I've heard of the sock burning thing, but have never participated.

I got a really early start on spring boat prep this year (for me, anyway), but was still thwarted when it came time to actually go out...apparently the state pulls all of the local channel markers on our creeks, and none of my charts were accurate enough to get me into deep water. Total bummer.

https://sailingfortuitous.com/and-yet-so-far/

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-10-2017
Old enough to know better

Yea, I think the sock thing is a Chesapeake bay thing. I have heard of it, but have never seen it.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-10-2017

Dock

I tried to burn my socks. But they ran away.

zeehag, bshock and seabeau like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 20 Old 04-10-2017

Oh Yes, this is a Chessie thing, and in particular, Naptown. Great fun. A true sock burning party has lots of libations, lots of food, more libations, lots of fun and of course libations. *Should* be held on the weekend around the equinox, but I'm actually going to one this Saturday. Scheduling and all, you know.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-10-2017
Captain Obvious

I burned an old pair of worn out underwear once in my fireplace. Much hilarity ensued as they flared up brightly and someone said "the gasses are released"
Minnesail likes this.

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Never heard of it... but then, I don't wear socks. Just sandals most of the year.

Only socks I wear on a regular basis is for work.
zeehag and oysterman23 like this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.